Hy-Vee buying Strack & Van Til

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. No non-grocery posts.
pseudo3d

Re: Hy-Vee buying Strack & Van Til

Post by pseudo3d »

It was a big deal when local ownership outbid Jewel for the stores (the main issue was overlap), but then they decide to sell out anyway, this time to Hy-Vee?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: April 21st, 2024, 10:13 am It was a big deal when local ownership outbid Jewel for the stores (the main issue was overlap), but then they decide to sell out anyway, this time to Hy-Vee?
Hy Vee might actually be a better fit than Jewel. I like Jewel but the further you get from Chicago the worse it seems to perform and the more lacking the stores seem to be... Hy Vee is hammering them where they compete.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Totally irrelevant post from someone not familiar with the area or company, but the pictures of the stores look very good. They appear to be a very good operator, and the description of the deal sounds sincere when they promise not to screw it up or change it excessively. And the name, which I hadn't heard until now, is delightful. Few brands with a name like "Strack and Van Til" survive these days. Their logo though reminds me of an art supply store, looks like an artist pallete. Most other buyers would find a new shorter brand like, well, Hy-Vee or rebrand to something like S-V-T. Glad this will remain intact.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Their stores looked great when I was last in them, which was under the prior ownership and at the time they were not supplied by AWG. So a lot has changed in the background.

I expect Hy-Vee to maintain the quality of the operation. Hy-Vee staffs pretty heavily (not as heavily as they once did)... and has massive product mix.