Kroger will also sell Haggen banner to C&S

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Kroger will also sell Haggen banner to C&S

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: April 28th, 2024, 10:20 am
Super S wrote: April 27th, 2024, 10:32 am The Haggen name simply does not mean what it once did. The stores would be better off rebranding.
Exactly. Bring on Piggly Wiggly. At least the name will reflect the kind of experience C&S knows how to provide.
I don't know. I guess if 10 of the "Haggen" stores are going to be divested then being able to keep the Haggen banner on them may be convenient and help them continue a distinct format. Then you have the QFCs most of which I expect to be divested and then you have the ~80 Safeway Stores getting divested in WA. What do you do with those 80 Safeway Stores? Do you rebrand those QFC? Do you rebrand to Haggen (a proven failure for Safeway rebrands)... better case would be they get rights to Safeway name in OR/WA too and then rebrand the QFC/Haggen Stores to Safeways in my opinion. Then let Kroger deal with the rebranding for the few Safeways they actually retain in those markets. There won't be many left.

I think whatever "banner" the majority of the divested stores currently operate with- C&S should gain rights to use that banner in the state in question. That would be the Safeway banner in basically every state out west except CA and NM/UT. But just let them have the banner in NM/UT too.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Kroger will also sell Haggen banner to C&S

Post by veteran+ »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: April 28th, 2024, 9:23 pm
storewanderer wrote: April 28th, 2024, 5:26 pm
They have choices:

Piggly Wiggly
QFC
Mariano's
Topps?
Carrs
Sublease to other operators who may have a shot at running the store and insist they use C&S as supplier, see UNFI attempts to sell Shoppers/take back Shoppers stores/close stores/etc etc etc
Sell to Whole Foods or some other competent operator
You’re thinking Top Food & Drug, the dormant Haggen discount banner?

Or they could use this name: https://greeceimages.org/images/topps-d ... ge-road-2/ :lol: :lol:
Love it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Any speculation about C&S doing anything respectable with retail is nonsensical. I think we keep on forgetting about Supervalu's retail adventures. And I believe they were better at retail than C&S. It is just not in their company's DNA.