Sonic Switches To Crinkle Cut Fries

Alpha8472

Sonic Switches To Crinkle Cut Fries

Post by Alpha8472 »

Sonic is switching to crinkle cut fries in mid May. The old fries are skin on natural cut fries.

Only a small number of fast food restaurants use crinkle cut fries. I believe Burger King tried it, but switched back.

Some people prefer the crinkle cut fries.

https://www.brandeating.com/2024/04/son ... fries.html
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Sonic Switches To Crinkle Cut Fries

Post by rwsandiego »

Alpha8472 wrote: April 29th, 2024, 3:59 pm Sonic is switching to crinkle cut fries in mid May. The old fries are skin on natural cut fries.

Only a small number of fast food restaurants use crinkle cut fries. I believe Burger King tried it, but switched back.

Both Chick-Fil-A and Raising Cane's serve crinkle cut fries. It's been a while since I last ate at Shake Shack, but they served crinkle cut the last time I ate there. I like them either way.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

rwsandiego wrote: April 29th, 2024, 4:44 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: April 29th, 2024, 3:59 pm Sonic is switching to crinkle cut fries in mid May. The old fries are skin on natural cut fries.

Both Chick-Fil-A and Raising Cane's serve crinkle cut fries. It's been a while since I last ate at Shake Shack, but they served crinkle cut the last time I ate there. I like them either way.
CFA uses waffle cut fries, not crinkle cut.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Del Taco are crinkle cut taters.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Crinkle must be lower cost.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

Here in the South it seems like crinkle cut fries are the default style you'll find at most mom-and-pop places, and in particular most BBQ places will have them as a side on the menu (although most meals will come with slaw and hushpuppies if you don't specify something else.) In terms of bigger chains, I know Arby's added crinkle fries as an alternative to the curly fries a few years ago (to be honest both types of fries at Arby's are pretty terrible), and Zaxby's and Culver's also have crinkle fries.

Aside from the fact that I go to Sonic a lot less now than I used to (especially when the Cook Out is just a couple of blocks away and generally much better for most things) I don't think this would affect me anyway since I usually get the tots there anyway.
Last edited by Brian Lutz on May 1st, 2024, 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: April 30th, 2024, 11:16 am Crinkle must be lower cost.
I've heard crinkle cut is fried hotter and has a longer hold time before becoming soggy and getting cold.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: April 30th, 2024, 11:20 pm
I've heard crinkle cut is fried hotter and has a longer hold time before becoming soggy and getting cold.
Always soggy at Del Taco. I gave up.

I have about 80% success/satisfaction rate with the fries at Raising Canes. Sometimes they are obviously not cooked long enough. Soggy/cold is never something that happens there since they are so busy.

Portillo's has those crinkle fries too, and option to order well done/extra crispy in their online ordering/app. 100% success and satisfaction rate doing that.

I liked the Arbys Crinkle Fries at first but I don't know, something happened, I just do not like them. Something about the coating. They are just not good. I no longer order those.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Sonic food review

Post by SamSpade »

Ordered from the value (under $4) menu + my drink of choice. Still $10? Ah inflation.

Thoughts -
1) Forgot catsup for my tots despite me specifically asking for it when giving my speaker order.
2) Big "no contactless/no Apple Pay" signs at my location on each order stall
3) Tots well made, small for $2.99 but as good or better than that $3 McDonalds hashbrown
4) Eyed that new brioche bun breakfast sandwich for a long time but was worried about kitchen staff... so went with
5) 1/4 lb double cheeseburger, $3.99. Picture on menu was small, thought maybe it did have proper vegetables but no, just pickles. Still, microwaved or something because it was pillowy mushy bread but really tasty American cheese slices if I'm being honest. I didn't see ketchup or mustard but they were supposedly there. Online photo shows that lettuce and/or onions would have been free upon request.
6) Best thing was still the diet limeade. Unlike online, mine wasn't half price. So I guess you need to use the app or website to get perks now.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: May 1st, 2024, 12:01 am
ClownLoach wrote: April 30th, 2024, 11:20 pm
Always soggy at Del Taco. I gave up.

I have about 80% success/satisfaction rate with the fries at Raising Canes. Sometimes they are obviously not cooked long enough. Soggy/cold is never something that happens there since they are so busy.

Portillo's has those crinkle fries too, and option to order well done/extra crispy in their online ordering/app. 100% success and satisfaction rate doing that.

I liked the Arbys Crinkle Fries at first but I don't know, something happened, I just do not like them. Something about the coating. They are just not good. I no longer order those.
I straight up ask at Del Taco if the fries are fresh, and they almost always answer with "I'll get you a fresh batch if you wait a couple of minutes." Obviously I don't do that in the drive thru. If it's prime lunchtime or dinnertime this isn't a problem, but in any slow time I just go in instead so I can ask for fresh fries and they don't seem to mind cooking to order.

Wendy's would probably leave last weeks fries in their holding bin if they could get away with it. They somehow are never hot and fresh, despite their ads that they're "guaranteed" to be so.

Portillo's is always perfect, and I don't know what they do to their cheese sauce but it is amazing. I've seen the cans and they say Gehl's but I've had that at hockey games and it is not the same. Portillo's must add something to it for extra flavor. Shake Shack is equally perfect with their crinkle fries. They both obviously don't take advantage of the long hold times and still cook in smaller batches to stay fresh and hot.