California. No non-grocery posts.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: 🛒 Kroger-Albertsons Merger: California Impact

Post by ClownLoach »

veteran+ wrote: May 1st, 2024, 2:13 pm
ClownLoach wrote: May 1st, 2024, 1:13 pm
veteran+ wrote: May 1st, 2024, 9:01 am The Vons at Mission Hills in San Diego is a beautiful store and well run.

I suspect that store could name change to Pavilions seemlessly.
What do you think of the very interesting Vons at Liberty Public Market? Concerned that could land in the hands of C&S. Not sure they could wrap their heads around the concept.
That's a cool store!

C&S would destroy it though I believe Vons could do more with it.
For those who don't know, this may be one of the most unusual supermarkets in America. It is two separate buildings with a open, gated courtyard linking the two halves of the store.

Concern is there is a large Ralphs not terribly far away in Point Loma. May be the newest Ralphs in the chain?

I'm sure they would try to keep both but not sure if it would happen.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

ClownLoach wrote: May 1st, 2024, 4:09 pm
ClownLoach wrote: May 1st, 2024, 1:13 pm

What do you think of the very interesting Vons at Liberty Public Market? Concerned that could land in the hands of C&S. Not sure they could wrap their heads around the concept.
That's a cool store!

For those who don't know, this may be one of the most unusual supermarkets in America. It is two separate buildings with a open, gated courtyard linking the two halves of the store.

Concern is there is a large Ralphs not terribly far away in Point Loma. May be the newest Ralphs in the chain?

The Liberty Public Market store could easily have been a Pavilions. Point Loma is certainly wealthy enough to support the store.

As far as it being sold/not being sold, I think it could be retained. There is a small Ralphs down the street from VONS that would likely be sold. It is located in the old VONS building. Teeny tiny store. They do have a nice selection of fresh foods, though.

The VONS on Midway Drive (essentially across the street from Ralphs on Sports Arena loading dock) will most definitely be sold.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

rwsandiego wrote: May 1st, 2024, 9:37 pm

That's a cool store!

The Liberty Public Market store could easily have been a Pavilions. Point Loma is certainly wealthy enough to support the store.

As far as it being sold/not being sold, I think it could be retained. There is a small Ralphs down the street from VONS that would likely be sold. It is located in the old VONS building. Teeny tiny store. They do have a nice selection of fresh foods, though.

The VONS on Midway Drive (essentially across the street from Ralphs on Sports Arena loading dock) will most definitely be sold.
First, at this point the new plans are for zero Ralphs or Food4Less divestitures. So the small Ralphs won't be sold.

The Midway Vons just underwent a weird remodel. It is the repaint lifestyle ugly decor, but they went above and beyond including repainting the entire ceiling to white. It definitely got more investment than most other Vons light remodels which is indicative to me that they intend to try to retain it. Unfortunately it probably does more volume than the Liberty store which has some parking challenges. To the clowns in Ohio a historic site like Liberty is not interesting and the fact the store is in separate buildings probably is something they cannot quite comprehend. That is why I think it is going to be divested unfortunately.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

That's a cool store!

The small Ralphs in the former Vons is basically a QFC Store... also has fuel station across the street that Ralphs bought from a 76 operator. But I don't think the store does all that well; it probably does enough for its size. That Vons closed when Liberty Vons opened (it was a relocation store for Vons).

I consider the Liberty Vons to be sort of like the Long Beach Airport. Elements that are typically "connected" are not connected and end up outside. I really like the design. The Liberty Vons could merchandise a lot of items outside- produce, floral, some light seasonal items, and they do to some extent, but they could do it a lot better and are limited by Safeway's merchandising rules and mix. There is a lot that could be done with that space outside. I'd also install windows or rolling window doors on both sides that open to the "outside middle" and open them up during a lot of the time so the store felt like it was literally "inside and outside" but still all flowed together. The challenge I notice with that store is it seems like a lot of customers do not shop "both sides" of the store. I do not like how you have the left side of the store with fresh items that feels very open and nice but then the right side of the store with center store is not all that spacious and flows poorly inside and feels like you are in an outdated undersized store. The parking situation is an issue. I am not sure that store performs all that well. I expect it to be divested. I also expect it is very high rent. I think a more upscale operator could do some very nice things with that store. Wrong location but think of an ethnic format- they could do cooking demos outside, have a large seating area outside to support the food service operation, etc. A more upscale format could do that type of thing too with the space.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 12:13 am

The small Ralphs in the former Vons is basically a QFC Store... also has fuel station across the street that Ralphs bought from a 76 operator. But I don't think the store does all that well; it probably does enough for its size. That Vons closed when Liberty Vons opened (it was a relocation store for Vons).

I consider the Liberty Vons to be sort of like the Long Beach Airport. Elements that are typically "connected" are not connected and end up outside. I really like the design. The Liberty Vons could merchandise a lot of items outside- produce, floral, some light seasonal items, and they do to some extent, but they could do it a lot better and are limited by Safeway's merchandising rules and mix. There is a lot that could be done with that space outside. I'd also install windows or rolling window doors on both sides that open to the "outside middle" and open them up during a lot of the time so the store felt like it was literally "inside and outside" but still all flowed together. The challenge I notice with that store is it seems like a lot of customers do not shop "both sides" of the store. I do not like how you have the left side of the store with fresh items that feels very open and nice but then the right side of the store with center store is not all that spacious and flows poorly inside and feels like you are in an outdated undersized store. The parking situation is an issue. I am not sure that store performs all that well. I expect it to be divested. I also expect it is very high rent. I think a more upscale operator could do some very nice things with that store. Wrong location but think of an ethnic format- they could do cooking demos outside, have a large seating area outside to support the food service operation, etc. A more upscale format could do that type of thing too with the space.
I agree they can do more with it, but I don't think anyone will. Safeway was willing to take the risk and innovate here and basically create almost a full scale version of the old Catalina Island operations but all on one property. I'm not sure it worked out, and I would have followed the process Target does with multi story buildings and figure out how to more logically split the assortment. This would "force" the customer through both buildings while operating in a logical manner so that they won't find themselves going back and forth. I think there are some limits that are set by the historic nature of the building, I agree the center outdoors should have an open air feel but some kind of roof constructed for shade and rain so merchandising can be out there. Even if it was just the entire floral department. Plus California is a tad more difficult on their food prep area standards which is why you see drop ceilings or other solid, wipeable surfaces over kitchens and more enclosed kitchen spaces versus when you go out of the state. Sidewalk merchandising standards are also different which is why you can go to some states and find outdoor displays of produce but not here. They probably would not be allowed to construct a permanent outdoor area for cooking demos without a full enclosure even though I agree it would be great. If this property was in Washington state it would be handled in a totally different way and could look like a mini Pike Place.

Unfortunately I think if this merger goes through this store goes to C&S to die. I think unfortunately it is too different and will be too difficult for someone to wrap their head around, and too costly to make major changes.

The only SoCal format I can think of that could possibly work here is the latest version of Lazy Acres which is currently only in their new Los Feliz store and their Long Beach after a total gut remodel that took almost a year and replaced every part of what was only a ten year old store inside. Their minimal center store, beer/wine, and vitamins could fit in the current "center aisle building" without as much tall racking, thus opening up the building dramatically and making it feel more open. All their fresh options could fit in the left half. They could do the expanded cafe seating outside and would likely add more prepared food options that would fill that space. Lazy Acres already has a couple stores in San Diego and the Encinitas one seems to be successful. Not sure how the other one in Mission Hills is doing but I think it is less successful, and would be a better comparison to this site.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

100% agree with both of you on that Liberty store.

Every time I have visited there it has been busy. The flow of customers is deceiving and does not clearly show how busy it really is. It depends on which side you are in. If it looks slow where you are you go to the other side and it is busy and visa versa. Some days of course are packed on both sides.

I did notice that there does not seem to be a theft issue, given the unique design.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

veteran+ wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 8:56 am 100% agree with both of you on that Liberty store.

Every time I have visited there it has been busy. The flow of customers is deceiving and does not clearly show how busy it really is. It depends on which side you are in. If it looks slow where you are you go to the other side and it is busy and visa versa. Some days of course are packed on both sides.

I did notice that there does not seem to be a theft issue, given the unique design.
I could throw out a crazy idea for this store. Sell it to Northgate specifically for another Mercado concept like Costa Mesa but with less actual groceries. They'd have to push all the seating outside to the patio along with the bar (outside bars seem to be okay in CA as long as they don't have food prep it seems they are less restrictive), scale down the main aisles and eliminate the large sit down restaurant, but I think those are the least productive elements of that store anyway. They use large portions of the back of the store for food prep in the cleanest kitchens I've ever seen in any grocery store in America, and they could easily push those same facilities into another suite in the center as there is a lot of underutilized space. I know they've already got Liberty Public Market as a food hall, but the area would definitely be able to handle an all Mexican food version of the same thing. They need to figure out how to grow that concept anyway as it's getting national attention and I fear if they don't expand to additional locations to spread out traffic they're going to flame out ("It's so busy nobody goes there anymore" is a very real possibility).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 8:56 am 100% agree with both of you on that Liberty store.

The exit traffic is still funneled through that center space area isn't it (or is there a separate exit)? Not really an easy "escape route." Plus the parking lot is so busy...

Have they done any remodeling or does this still have Lifestyle decor?
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 11:27 pm

The exit traffic is still funneled through that center space area isn't it (or is there a separate exit)? Not really an easy "escape route." Plus the parking lot is so busy...

I have not been since 2020 and have not heard of any refreshing so I will presume everything is status quo.

I also suspect that the entire complex may be "protected" status?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: May 3rd, 2024, 8:17 am
storewanderer wrote: May 2nd, 2024, 11:27 pm

I have not been since 2020 and have not heard of any refreshing so I will presume everything is status quo.

I also suspect that the entire complex may be "protected" status?
It seems like at this point a store with that Lifestyle interior should have been remodeled by now. There are still a lot of those interiors left in NorCal but NorCal is different, they were still opening new stores/doing remodels in Lifestyle after the Albertsons merger...

I wonder if they are in a holding pattern on this store considering a conversion to Pavilions...