A mini-mart swiping the City Market name in Seattle?

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

A mini-mart swiping the City Market name in Seattle?

Post by Brian Lutz »

OK, here's one out of left field. I've been commuting to and from downtown Seattle for a couple of days, and when I ride the bus, I see a little convenience store that seems to be using the name and logo of the Kroger-owned City Market chain as found in CO and UT. Obviously, this isn't a Kroger-owned store (they have nothing but Fred Meyer and QFC stores here) and when I look at it, something tells me they might just be swiping the name and logo of a distant chain and hoping nobody notices. Anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Google Maps link
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Re: A mini-mart swiping the City Market name in Seattle?

Post by submariner »

I remember driving past there when I lived in the area. Always meant to look it up but never got around to it.
tesg
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by tesg »

I checked the ZIP code at Kroger's website and it doesn't list that store, but that's EXACTLY City Market's logo.

I suppose it's possible the owners got hold of a used City Market logo somewhere and decided to run with it...or maybe Kroger's testing a small community market concept and not wanting to make any noise about it...
trainman
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by trainman »

Looked it up to see what I could find out, and ran across this blog of photos of the humorous signs they put up in front of the store. Last post was August 2008, though -- and it explains nothing about the logo.