Mervyn's Name Purchased

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Alpha8472

Mervyn's Name Purchased

Post by Alpha8472 »

http://cbs5.com/investigates/mervyns.na ... 33168.html

The Mervyn's name and intellectual property have been bought by the sons of Mervin Morris. They are planning to reopen Mervyns.com.

It will be interesting to see what they will do.

Many former Mervyn's locations have already been bought by Kohl's.

I think that Mervyn's may open some Mervyn's stores just for the nostalgia, but I think it will be difficult for them to make a profit since they have to start from scratch.
alexh1013

Re: Mervyn's Name Purchased

Post by alexh1013 »

Maybe they can use the Mervyns HQ buliding in downtown Hayward.
Alex H.
Alpha8472

Re: Mervyn's Name Purchased

Post by Alpha8472 »

They might want to set up their new headquarters in the old Mervyn's headquarters and restart the chain from there. However, it will take a lot of money and ingenuity to restart an entire department store chain from scratch.

If I were them I would start off with just one store. They should open one spectacular and nice looking store. The key to being successful is to have great customer service and reasonable prices. It should be in a very busy location to attract the most customers. They could follow the model of other successful department stores. For example, the Nordstrom near me features a restaurant and a cafe. Mervyn's needs to set themselves apart from other stores in order to be successful.