Minyard Sun Fresh Markert (former Albertsons) photo

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Minyard Sun Fresh Markert (former Albertsons) photo

Post by rwsandiego »

architect wrote:Speaking of Minyard Sun Fresh casualties, it appears that we may have another one. The Roanoke store (another former Albertsons) is no longer listed on their website or in their latest weekly ad. Honestly, I am not surprised by its closing, as it's location far away from the rest of Minyard's store base would make it difficult to service effectively unless if it was high volume. I am surprised that Kroger has not attempted to pick up this store or the former Rowlett store as both stores are far from any current Kroger locations. Maybe Albertsons put a lease restriction in place for these sites which prohibits another competitor from opening there?
I wonder if Kroger doesn't want to take a chance on a location that was cast off from one operator and then didn't fare well under a second.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Correct me if I'm wrong but I notice the Minyard name is missing from the logo on the website. I also notice the Minyard name is missing from the print ad. Are these stores still owned by Minyard? I wonder if something is up regarding ownership of these stores.

They have a variety of different people running stores under this name in Kansas City. I'm not sure what the difference is between a Sun Fresh and a Price Chopper; it is my impression Sun Fresh is reserved for poorer, older, lower volume stores. Many of the same people running stores under Sun Fresh in Kansas City also run stores as Price Chopper. Both Ball and Cosentino have their own very nice upscale format stores (Ball has Hen House, Cosentino has namesake stores).

http://www.mysunfresh.com/storelocator
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I notice the Minyard name is missing from the logo on the website. I also notice the Minyard name is missing from the print ad. Are these stores still owned by Minyard? I wonder if something is up regarding ownership of these stores. ...
The "About Us" section of their website states they are owned by the couple who owns Minyard's:

http://www.minyardsunfresh.com/About-Us

Of course, that could be dated information.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I notice the Minyard name is missing from the logo on the website. I also notice the Minyard name is missing from the print ad. Are these stores still owned by Minyard? I wonder if something is up regarding ownership of these stores.

They have a variety of different people running stores under this name in Kansas City. I'm not sure what the difference is between a Sun Fresh and a Price Chopper; it is my impression Sun Fresh is reserved for poorer, older, lower volume stores. Many of the same people running stores under Sun Fresh in Kansas City also run stores as Price Chopper. Both Ball and Cosentino have their own very nice upscale format stores (Ball has Hen House, Cosentino has namesake stores).

FWIW, the old Minyard stores were located in old/worse neighborhoods, and recently, a number of those were converted to Cash Saver Cost Plus, cutting the true "Minyard" stores even further (it was once one of the big supermarkets in DFW, but the family sold out a number of years ago). A bummer that MSFM never worked out nor did they even particularly try to. The Roanoke store had an unused garden center, which Albertsons used in a few divisions.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

pseudo3d wrote:
storewanderer wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but I notice the Minyard name is missing from the logo on the website. I also notice the Minyard name is missing from the print ad. Are these stores still owned by Minyard? I wonder if something is up regarding ownership of these stores.

FWIW, the old Minyard stores were located in old/worse neighborhoods, and recently, a number of those were converted to Cash Saver Cost Plus, cutting the true "Minyard" stores even further (it was once one of the big supermarkets in DFW, but the family sold out a number of years ago). A bummer that MSFM never worked out nor did they even particularly try to. The Roanoke store had an unused garden center, which Albertsons used in a few divisions.
The reason why the Minyard name was used, but then discontinued on the Sun Fresh stores is likely historic. Many years ago, Minyard was a household name in the DFW grocery market, on the level of Tom Thumb. However, over the years, they were unable to compete with higher end/less expensive competitors which moved into most upper/middle class neighborhoods. As a result, the only stores which were not gradually closed were their stores in low-end neighborhoods which other competitors were not interested in taking a chance on. Because of this, Minyard gained a reputation for shoddy, overpriced operations. When they acquired their divested Albertsons/Tom Thumb locations in 2015, many honestly locals were surprised by this move, as the Minyard name carries a lot of baggage locally. In addition to the brand baggage, many customers also frequently confused the new Minyard Sun Fresh brand with the lower-end Minyard Food Stores brand, creating frequent confusion when advertised sales at one chain were not reflected at the other. As a result Minyard's management likely decided to remove the "Minyard" name from the Sun Fresh stores to better differentiate them from their lower-end locations.

Honestly, I am not surprised that Minyard Sun Fresh has not worked out. Several of the Albertsons locations which they acquired were/are in desperate need of renovation and have an outdated feel to them (Uptown, Mockingbird/Abrams, Northwest Highway/Midway, Forest/Marsh, Arapaho/Hillcrest). The only reason why the Uptown store is successful is due to a lack of competition, a situation which is rapidly changing. Although most of the Tom Thumb locations which were acquired were in much better physical condition, these stores were all located in areas with intense competition surrounding them. Since Minyard is unable to compete on price due to their size, they are naturally the odd man left out. Lastly, Minyard has done very little to distinguish themselves from their competitors, as their store brands feel extremely generic while they have also failed to introduce the high-end items which customers in their market areas have come to expect from any decent DFW grocer. Honestly, I expect the banner to be completely eliminated over the next year or so, with their better locations being sold off to competitors as feasible. The economics of marketing for a banner of 8 stores simply doesn't work out over the long haul, especially in a large market such as DFW.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

rwsandiego wrote:
architect wrote:Speaking of Minyard Sun Fresh casualties, it appears that we may have another one. The Roanoke store (another former Albertsons) is no longer listed on their website or in their latest weekly ad. Honestly, I am not surprised by its closing, as it's location far away from the rest of Minyard's store base would make it difficult to service effectively unless if it was high volume. I am surprised that Kroger has not attempted to pick up this store or the former Rowlett store as both stores are far from any current Kroger locations. Maybe Albertsons put a lease restriction in place for these sites which prohibits another competitor from opening there?
I wonder if Kroger doesn't want to take a chance on a location that was cast off from one operator and then didn't fare well under a second.
Take this with a grain of salt, but according to a post on Sun Fresh DFW's Facebook page, the closed Roanoke Sun Fresh has been sold to Kroger (this was confirmed by their social media manager). If so, this could be a great grab for Kroger, as the only competition in the area is a Tom Thumb in Trophy Club.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Was the last one Kroger took a closed store or an operating store?

Roanoke looks like a great catch, one of those early 2000's Grocery Palace Stores. That will make for a really nice Kroger. Good size too.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

storewanderer wrote:Was the last one Kroger took a closed store or an operating store?

Roanoke looks like a great catch, one of those early 2000's Grocery Palace Stores. That will make for a really nice Kroger. Good size too.
The last store Kroger took in Plano was operating, but Kroger closed it for a couple of months for remodeling. During its remodel, that store mainly just received Marketplace Decor and additional lighting in the perimeter areas (a remnant from its former life as a Tom Thumb). Also, the bank branch at the front of the store was removed, and the restrooms were refreshed. Overall, Kroger definitely improved things, but it still feels like a Lifestyle store on the inside. It will be interesting to see what happens with the Roanoke store, as it's design is much closer to a new-build Kroger.