Save Mart acquires N. Highlands Food Source

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Save Mart acquires N. Highlands Food Source

Post by storewanderer »

http://www.sacbee.com/news/business/art ... 52687.html

Food Maxx in Antelope to close and move to this location. Both were low volume stores so this is probably for the better.

This Food Source will need some work because Raleys didn't really do much when they converted it from Raleys to Food Source, just repainted the walls and moved around some shelves.
lake
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Re: Save Mart acquires N. Highlands Food Source

Post by lake »

Yep, I caught wind of this store being closed by Raley's about a month ago but never got around to posting it. Looks like SaveMart also caught wind of this closure and decided to buy the lease off of Raley's. Pretty smart move as the Food Source was in a much better location. There is an extremely low volume Walmart near the current Foodmaxx and that's about it. There's also a closed down Kmart that I think Tractor Supply may have rented part of. It's really a dead area.

Although this was likely a small purchase in terms of dollars it is yet another example of SaveMart actually doing something to try and improve the company. Looks like they finally shifted into drive after sitting in park for so many years.
storewanderer

Re: Save Mart acquires N. Highlands Food Source

Post by storewanderer »

It is a smart move because that current Food Maxx was a slow store under Fleming F4L and seemed to never pick up much traffic as Food Maxx. I think it was facing closure.

It will be interesting to see how they do with the Food Source location since Food Maxx is much better operated than Food Source is.

Food Source in Reno does not look healthy. There is usually foot traffic to cover 2-3 checkstands but transactions are pretty small dollar. I do kind of like the store and prefer it to others in the immediate area (better than the two surrounding Save Marts, the Wal Mart Supercenter, or Smart and Final which is not saying much). They spent money recently to wall off the former service bakery/service deli space but the center store looks terrible. I have to assume since they spent money building the wall they plan to continue operations in the Reno Food Source. There are entire aisles with random items like paper towels and other large space filling objects taking up the aisles. In-stock condition is very light on most items. Sunny Select items are being replaced by Raleys and even R Everyday (thought that was long gone but the graham crackers with a 2017 expiration proved me wrong).