Torrance Ralphs... Has anyone seen this "Local" decor package before?

California. No non-grocery posts.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Torrance Ralphs... Has anyone seen this "Local" decor package before?

Post by rwsandiego »

pseudo3d wrote:Was I the only one reminded of the Albertsons LLC décor?
It reminds me of the Albertsons LLC decor, also. Definitely not the same, but similar theme.

The previous decor package (lower-case letters, leaves in the produce department) reminds me of a combination of the Jewel Premium Fresh and Healthy (brown tones instead of stark white and cream) and Premium Fresh and Healthy 3.0, which everyone besides me seemed to hate.
steps
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by steps »

The Ralphs by USC has a variation of this package. It's very USC/Trojan orientated (obviously). I think the USC store has more red on the walls. So far, I've seen this in Torrance and USC locations.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

steps wrote:The Ralphs by USC has a variation of this package. It's very USC/Trojan orientated (obviously). I think the USC store has more red on the walls. So far, I've seen this in Torrance and USC locations.
Long Beach on 4th St. is being remodeled right now (another store that is getting rid of polished concrete floors). Venice was the first in the area. Venice had a unique storefront added during the remodel which doesn't match the interior at all. In Torrance, they didn't touch the storefront at all. Redondo Beach, a former Marketplace location that lost that name during the last remodel, will be remodeled this summer. Employees can't wait to get rid of the polished concrete floors. Hard to work on all day.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I'm really glad they are getting rid of the polished concrete floors. Aside from how bad they look, that they are tough on the employees is a much bigger problem.

Too bad it took them this long, luckily it will be easy enough to re-floor these places.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote:I'm really glad they are getting rid of the polished concrete floors. Aside from how bad they look, that they are tough on the employees is a much bigger problem.

Too bad it took them this long, luckily it will be easy enough to re-floor these places.
The Mission Valley Ralphs has the polished concrete and they look terrible. In some cases the scars left behind by cases are visible.
SoCalShopper1023
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by SoCalShopper1023 »

I am a recent former Ralphs employee, I worked at Ralphs for 4 years. During my time at Ralphs I was sent out to many other stores to help out during their "Grand Reopening" after a remodel is complete. It seems that this is the latest version of the "Kroger Decor" that all new store remodels have been getting as of late 2015. When they remodeled the North Hollywood store (on Magnolia) they removed the previous Kroger Decor (the colorful green/brown/yellow) and replaced it with this current one. Which in my opinion is a downgrade as it looks cheaper and tackier with all the lettering on the walls. Other stores that have been remodeled into this decor package are the stores in Sunland, Glendale, Burbank (Alameda), Koreatown, and Venice.

After doing some research it looks like this decor package is very similar to the Kroger Marketplace decor.
klkla

Post by klkla »

Hopefully they move on from this interior soon. I think it looks awful.

The lettering and graphics from the bakery looks like they were re-used form a store in the 1970's and looks completely out of place next to more modern Bistro signage right next to it. The store is a mix of different styles and colors that don't seem cohesive.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Was just in a Smiths Marketplace in West Jordan, UT way down Redwood. Former Fred Meyer. Had a mostly white floor throughout (had carpet in clothing). They are in the process of removing that floor and installing the polished brown concrete floor. So far they are doing this project on the two "sides" of the store (one side so happens to be clothes, the other so happens to be the other general merchandise areas) so the grocery area is untouched but it will be touched soon. It appears Kroger is still very much committed to this polished concrete look.

The fixtures are still early or mid 1990's Fred Meyer fixtures on the walls. Really tired looking store.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

storewanderer wrote:Was just in a Smiths Marketplace in West Jordan, UT way down Redwood. Former Fred Meyer. Had a mostly white floor throughout (had carpet in clothing). They are in the process of removing that floor and installing the polished brown concrete floor. So far they are doing this project on the two "sides" of the store (one side so happens to be clothes, the other so happens to be the other general merchandise areas) so the grocery area is untouched but it will be touched soon. It appears Kroger is still very much committed to this polished concrete look.

The fixtures are still early or mid 1990's Fred Meyer fixtures on the walls. Really tired looking store.
Not in California. Like I've said before, Smith's division always seems to be one step behind Ralphs.

Ralphs is also changing the computer program in its stores. Redondo Beach has had it for over a month, Manhattan Beach got it last month. Same program as CVS. It's a piece of sh*t. Self-checkout at both of those stores is a complete mess. Cashiers are so frustrated. Keeps freezing up and shuts down some self-checkout units (yesterday, 2 of the self checkout registers were down in Manhattan Beach). Self-checkout cashiers can no longer scan coupons from their hand held device. They must enter a code into the self-checkout scanner and scan them there. I've had problems with digital coupons not coming off, the self checkout freezing and shutting down during my order and had to keep pressing the "yes" button after each item scan. It's a real PITA.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

CalItalian wrote:
storewanderer wrote:Was just in a Smiths Marketplace in West Jordan, UT way down Redwood. Former Fred Meyer. Had a mostly white floor throughout (had carpet in clothing). They are in the process of removing that floor and installing the polished brown concrete floor. So far they are doing this project on the two "sides" of the store (one side so happens to be clothes, the other so happens to be the other general merchandise areas) so the grocery area is untouched but it will be touched soon. It appears Kroger is still very much committed to this polished concrete look.

Not in California. Like I've said before, Smith's division always seems to be one step behind Ralphs.

Ralphs is also changing the computer program in its stores. Redondo Beach has had it for over a month, Manhattan Beach got it last month. Same program as CVS. It's a piece of sh*t. Self-checkout at both of those stores is a complete mess. Cashiers are so frustrated. Keeps freezing up and shuts down some self-checkout units (yesterday, 2 of the self checkout registers were down in Manhattan Beach). Self-checkout cashiers can no longer scan coupons from their hand held device. They must enter a code into the self-checkout scanner and scan them there. I've had problems with digital coupons not coming off, the self checkout freezing and shutting down during my order and had to keep pressing the "yes" button after each item scan. It's a real PITA.

Wow, that's bad!

Do you know computer program and /or registers they have?

Sounds like what Fresh & Easy had that was so terrible!