Vons/Pavilions Stores Pre-Safeway

California. No non-grocery posts.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Re: Vons/Pavilions Stores Pre-Safeway

Post by submariner »

klkla wrote:
submariner wrote:Hey guys, just a reminder, this is getting into the historical side of things, which is better discussed at http://www.groceteria.com/board/.
Maybe in that gray area? I responded because it's only about currently operating stores that opened as Vons or Pavilions.

A couple more came to mind. The Vons in Montecito (Santa Barbara) , the Vons in La Quinta, and the Vons in Yucca Valley.

Yeah, it is a grey area, I'm allowing it for now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

steps wrote:I think this was one of the stores Haggen acquired. I could be wrong though but, the facade looks like one I saw with Haggen signage though, there could be another store with a similar facade I'm confusing it with.

Edit: Wasn't Marina Del Rey a marina Safeway turned Vons?
No. Marina del Rey (Via Marina shopping center) was an original Vons. It was torn down and replaced with a Pavilions. There was never a Safeway in Marina del Rey.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

steps wrote:Are there any Vons/Pavilions original builds in operation left? The only one I know of is the one in Santa Monica off Wilshire (If my memory is correct, this was store #2 and the oldest original Vons) and Vons Westchester. As for Pavilions, I can't recall an original build still operating. Every other Vons/Pavilions I've been to has been a Safeway previously.

and a Vons re-built where there was a Safeway before doesn't count. Are there any others?
Vons in Cheviot Hills (West Los Angeles) is an original Vons (one of the few remaining Thrifty Jr's., now a Rite Aid is in the same center). Next to the Santa Monica Wilshire Blvd. location, it would be the oldest Vons on the westside. Nearby in West L.A. on Sepulveda Blvd at National, the Vons is also an original build. Pavilions in Culver City is an original Pavilions build. It completed a remodel just a few months before the closing of the Albertsons buyout.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

CalItalian wrote:
steps wrote:Are there any Vons/Pavilions original builds in operation left? The only one I know of is the one in Santa Monica off Wilshire (If my memory is correct, this was store #2 and the oldest original Vons) and Vons Westchester. As for Pavilions, I can't recall an original build still operating. Every other Vons/Pavilions I've been to has been a Safeway previously.

and a Vons re-built where there was a Safeway before doesn't count. Are there any others?
Vons in Cheviot Hills (West Los Angeles) is an original Vons (one of the few remaining Thrifty Jr's., now a Rite Aid is in the same center). Next to the Santa Monica Wilshire Blvd. location, it would be the oldest Vons on the westside. Nearby in West L.A. on Sepulveda Blvd at National, the Vons is also an original build. Pavilions in Culver City is an original Pavilions build. It completed a remodel just a few months before the closing of the Albertsons buyout.
The Vons on Wilshire in Santa Monica always had a See's candy store in the same building (on the sw corner of the building at Euclid and Wilshire). It's now a cleaners. With how small the store is, I would have thought they would have taken that extra space years ago. An odd Vons since it had an incline inside the store towards the parking lot. Hated that location since I shopped there with my parents as a child. During the early 80's, they extended out the store a little bit near the rear/parking lot entrance.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Still hoping for an answer:

"Wasn't Rancho Mirage an original Pavilions?

Recently it was under Haggen for a couple of months and it is now a Gelsons."

klkla

Post by klkla »

veteran+ wrote:Still hoping for an answer:

"Wasn't Rancho Mirage an original Pavilions?

Recently it was under Haggen for a couple of months and it is now a Gelsons."

Yes, Rancho Mirage was built from ground up as a Pavilions.
luckysaver
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by luckysaver »

a few other original SoCal Vons stores that are still there today as Vons - Walnut (1984), San Dimas (1982), West Covina (1977), Charter Oak/Glendora (1977). Of these 4 stores, Walnut is the bigger store.
Diamond Bar (now Smart & Final Extra) opened in 1970 and was part of the Haggen purchase.

I have a copy of a 1982 Jerseymaid Milk ad with a list of all the Vons and Thriftimart stores that carried the milk products, which are from Vons's Boxford milk plant in Commerce (now part of Lucerne Foods). Currently, you can find Jerseymaid products at Vons Pavilions (though being phased out by Albertsons and replaced with the Lucerne or Pantry Essentials/Value Corner brand) and the 99CentsOnly chain.

luckysaver