Burger King Scraping "Have It Your Way" Slogan

Alpha8472

Re: Burger King Scraping "Have It Your Way" Slogan

Post by Alpha8472 »

With regard to soda fountains, premix is the best. That is when the soda is already premixed before it gets to the store. All the fountain does is add carbonation. The next best is syrup. The syrup is mixed with water at the fountain.

The Freestyle machines use concentrated flavor cartridges which somehow doesn't seem to get the soda right. The flavor shots are supposedly calorie free, so they are using artificial sweeteners which gives the soda flavors the dreaded diet soda aftertaste. Something about artificial sweeteners is not quite right. Something is always too bitter or metallic. The aftertaste can never be covered up.

I've seen some 7-eleven stores with the flavor shots of cherry, lemon, and vanilla. Those are not great, but those fountains at least use real syrup for their sodas and probably real sweeteners for their flavor shots.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Another thing I've noticed at two different Five Guys with those machines is a bad smell seems to come from near the machines, like a rotten egg smell. Since this is at two different locations and seems to come from somewhere around the bottom of the freestyle machines I am not sure if it is an exhaust thing, some drainage issue, or what.

I didn't know that about the syrups. No wonder they are so strange in taste.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The rotten egg smell is most likely a grease interceptor that is not properly cleaned out. Oil, grease, and food left overs end up in underground grease interceptors. The interceptors are where grease and liquid separate to prevent the grease from entering and clogging the main sewer system. If they are not pumped and flushed regularly, hydrogen sulfide is produced causing the rotten egg smell. It can corrode sewer pipes. The coke machine has a drain under it and the rotten egg smell is coming from it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Maybe the odor at Five Guys is deliberate. They seem to like grease there. The paper bags are so greasy it is a joke. I get that they want to give a lot of fries, but either 1: get better paper bags or use boxes like KFC/Popeyes use so the grease doesn't bleed through and get onto people's cars, or stuck to the tables in the locations or 2: get a better fry container.

Oh and I wonder how the "paper bag bans" are handled at Five Guys where every order, regardless of for here or to go, is presented in a paper bag.