Integration of Albertsons and Safeway

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Integration of Albertsons and Safeway

Post by marshd1000 »

Yesterday I was at Roxbury Safeway in Seattle and saw my first Albertsons related brand inside the store. I was in the deli and saw that they were now selling Dietz and Watson deli products. I looked up Dietz and Watson and know that it is not owned by Albertsons or Supervalu, at least it does not reflect that in their website. I also know from their website that it does not reflect that their product is available in Safeway but it does show that stores outside the Safeway-Albertsons stores, it is available at Metropolitan Market here in Seattle. I was told that Safeway will continue to sell Primo Talgio.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

marshd1000 wrote:Yesterday I was at Roxbury Safeway in Seattle and saw my first Albertsons related brand inside the store. I was in the deli and saw that they were now selling Dietz and Watson deli products. I looked up Dietz and Watson and know that it is not owned by Albertsons or Supervalu, at least it does not reflect that in their website. I also know from their website that it does not reflect that their product is available in Safeway but it does show that stores outside the Safeway-Albertsons stores, it is available at Metropolitan Market here in Seattle. I was told that Safeway will continue to sell Primo Talgio.
We have Dietz & Watson in Price Chopper here in the Northeastern US (PA/CT/MA/NH/VT/NY) - which they started carrying after a failure with Boars Head (not the product, but the relationship between the two companies).
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

I enjoy Dietz & Watson products and think that it was one of Albertsons's greatest assets.

In the reverse end, Primo Taglio pizza dough is now being sold at Albertsons stores in Arizona along with Signature Cafe.

Albertsons in Arizona also now sells Refreshe as its private label soda brand (complete with the Safeway logo on all of the bottles).

However, the vast majority of all other private label other than O Organics, Open Nature, Signature Cafe, and Refreshe (soda) is still either Equaline (for Health and Beauty) or Essential Everyday (for almost everything else). Lucerne, Safeway Select, and Safeway Kitchens haven't made it to Arizona Albertsons stores as of yet.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Yet Albertson's ads in Phoenix don't feature any Safeway private label products.

BTW, Safeway Select is being replaced by "Signature Select"-I noticed a package with the new logo (which looks like the original Safeway Select logo)

It sounds like the the new combined private label for Albertsons/Safeway will be based on the "Signature" name.
klkla

Post by klkla »

Albertsons will open eight new stores and remodel 115 this year:
http://supermarketnews.com/retail-finan ... odels-2015
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I was looking through the Safeway Big Book of Savings for the San Francisco Bay Area and saw an ad for 3's A Crowd. This was Lucky's 3's A Crowd a long time ago. I don't know how Safeway will be able to achieve this as their stores are notoriously understaffed. There is no way that they will be able to open a new check stand if there are 3 people in line.

On the issue of the 115 remodels, will these be Albertsons stores that are old and in need of a remodel or will they be Safeway stores that are old and are going to be remodeled. I would be really surprised if they were Safeway stores with the Lifestyle format being remodeled into something else. Then again, I have noticed Safeway stores that were already Lifestyle stores getting new brighter lighting added to their dark produce departments.

Signature Select logo:
https://trademarks.justia.com/865/21/si ... 21597.html
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

I'd imagine that the vast majority 115 remodels are Albertsons/Acme/Jewel Osco/Shaw's/Star Market stores that haven't been touched since 2004 or so.

2 of them are also Albertsons to Market Street conversions in Texas.

I have been very unimpressed with most of the Albertsons remodels here in Phoenix. They've updated the interior signage and the walls however they've left the floors, lighting, and ceiling tiles alone. Most of the remodeled stores in Phoenix have missing and/or water damaged ceiling tiles and flooring from the "theme park" decor package.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Integration of Albertsons and Safeway

Post by submariner »

The SoCal division seems to now have the same "It's Just Better" slogan for both Vons and Albertsons. Even the main column on the flyer (right on Vons, left on Albertsons) has the same deals lined up. Formatting is still generally different though.

Sent from my iPad using Fingers
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

When is does the agreement with Supervalu for use of Supervalu Private labels end?

I was in an Albertsons store earlier today and the non organic and natural private label is still very predominately "Essential Everyday." I even saw a number of "Open Nature" and "Super Chill" products (even with the use of "O Organics, Open Nature, and Refreshe).
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

To add on to the "Signature" rebranding.....Safeway Home cleaning supplies are being rebranded to Signature Home (same packaging design) The distributor name is now "Better Living Brands LLC" of Pleasanton, CA (which also distributes the Refreshe beverage line.