Rite Aid closing at least 63 stores

storewanderer

Re: Rite Aid closing at least 63 stores

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: January 13th, 2024, 12:17 pm
storewanderer wrote: January 12th, 2024, 10:34 pm From what I can tell the Temecula Store was built as a Rite Aid in 2007.

The inside is definitely finished/completed as a Rite Aid. But it could well be a Walgreens shell. It sure looks like one. The configuration of the loading dock is Rite Aid configuration though. The real thing that differs here from a typical Rite Aid is there is a pretty good covered walkway surrounding the entry in front of multiple parking lots. That has always been a "thing" with newer Rite Aid Stores- they don't have much of a walkway in front of the parking lot. Walgreens often does.

Looking more closely at the Temecula Store expanding on that covered walkway/door area if you look at it and look at the building supports you see there are the two angled supports in front of the doors, then 5 more supports on each side of the building. Pulling up the Walgreens at 2299 Oddie in Sparks which opened in 2009 you will notice the exact same construction of the support beams of 5 on one side, 2 angled by door, and 5 more on the other side. The window configuration is different. I am suspecting this store went to Rite Aid mid construction.
Good eye for detail there. It doesn't look exactly like a Walgreens, but there is definitely a resemblance so I think the hypothesis of a canceled Walgreens that Rite Aid grabbed makes sense. Probably easier to submit change orders for different logistics setup versus start planning from scratch especially since there were major building code changes that occurred in 2006; if they already had a fully approved building design then they likely could have slipped through on an older approval. Windows were probably chosen to match the design of the rest of the center. 2007-ish I think is when Walgreens drastically slowed down SoCal construction; I can't remember the last time I saw a new build for them.
The windows do look like a Rite Aid prototype style of windows, also a single double sliding entry door as opposed to Walgreens typical half slider for exit and half slider for exit. Just an odd store there. It definitely is the full "Customer World" interior design and interior layout for everything including the bordered ceiling in the middle of the store above Cosmetics. Plus they would have had to do pipe work to get ice cream into where it is (though Walgreens would have piped into the front corner for photo but the ice cream isn't in the front corner it is front center). So it seems like they got the Walgreens shell in its most basic form but were able to modify for their windows, their back doors, etc. There is also a fire door on the side of the store which is placed just like the fire door on the Walgreens I referenced on Oddie Blvd. but that may have more to do with number of feet from the front door than anything else.

I haven't seen new builds from Walgreens in quite some time. The last new build in this area was in Fernley, NV and it is probably 10 years ago at this point. It is a pretty nice store. It has the usual 00's Walgreens layout but with cement floors and an exposed ceiling. The first time I walked in there I looked around and was shocked at the modern look to the flooring and ceiling. Another newer one in Central Point, OR which is probably about 7 years old, it has the cement floors/exposed ceiling but it is a different layout (some vertical aisles some horizontal aisles) and also quite nice but its flow was somewhat cluttered; aisles seemed more narrow and line of sight around the store wasn't great.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: January 13th, 2024, 12:37 pm
ClownLoach wrote: January 13th, 2024, 12:17 pm
storewanderer wrote: January 12th, 2024, 10:34 pm From what I can tell the Temecula Store was built as a Rite Aid in 2007.

The inside is definitely finished/completed as a Rite Aid. But it could well be a Walgreens shell. It sure looks like one. The configuration of the loading dock is Rite Aid configuration though. The real thing that differs here from a typical Rite Aid is there is a pretty good covered walkway surrounding the entry in front of multiple parking lots. That has always been a "thing" with newer Rite Aid Stores- they don't have much of a walkway in front of the parking lot. Walgreens often does.

Looking more closely at the Temecula Store expanding on that covered walkway/door area if you look at it and look at the building supports you see there are the two angled supports in front of the doors, then 5 more supports on each side of the building. Pulling up the Walgreens at 2299 Oddie in Sparks which opened in 2009 you will notice the exact same construction of the support beams of 5 on one side, 2 angled by door, and 5 more on the other side. The window configuration is different. I am suspecting this store went to Rite Aid mid construction.
Good eye for detail there. It doesn't look exactly like a Walgreens, but there is definitely a resemblance so I think the hypothesis of a canceled Walgreens that Rite Aid grabbed makes sense. Probably easier to submit change orders for different logistics setup versus start planning from scratch especially since there were major building code changes that occurred in 2006; if they already had a fully approved building design then they likely could have slipped through on an older approval. Windows were probably chosen to match the design of the rest of the center. 2007-ish I think is when Walgreens drastically slowed down SoCal construction; I can't remember the last time I saw a new build for them.
The windows do look like a Rite Aid prototype style of windows, also a single double sliding entry door as opposed to Walgreens typical half slider for exit and half slider for exit. Just an odd store there. It definitely is the full "Customer World" interior design and interior layout for everything including the bordered ceiling in the middle of the store above Cosmetics. Plus they would have had to do pipe work to get ice cream into where it is (though Walgreens would have piped into the front corner for photo but the ice cream isn't in the front corner it is front center). So it seems like they got the Walgreens shell in its most basic form but were able to modify for their windows, their back doors, etc. There is also a fire door on the side of the store which is placed just like the fire door on the Walgreens I referenced on Oddie Blvd. but that may have more to do with number of feet from the front door than anything else.

I haven't seen new builds from Walgreens in quite some time. The last new build in this area was in Fernley, NV and it is probably 10 years ago at this point. It is a pretty nice store. It has the usual 00's Walgreens layout but with cement floors and an exposed ceiling. The first time I walked in there I looked around and was shocked at the modern look to the flooring and ceiling. Another newer one in Central Point, OR which is probably about 7 years old, it has the cement floors/exposed ceiling but it is a different layout (some vertical aisles some horizontal aisles) and also quite nice but its flow was somewhat cluttered; aisles seemed more narrow and line of sight around the store wasn't great.
In my experience with building new stores, all the interior details and cosmetic stuff like windows and doors are very basic change orders that get rubber stamped by City Hall. Even stuff like the plumbing for an ice cream counter is trivial and can all be changed mid or even late construction, which I've experienced when a new company prototype was approved in the middle of a build and then the company determined they wanted it shoe horned in. Fire Exits are also something that I've had arguments over, basically if the local Fire Marshal doesn't like your design for any reason they can demand additional doors and it's a lot easier to just do what they want versus fight them and then face constant inspections etc. in retaliation... It's a battle you can't win. The main shell, roofline, structural supports, basic logistics, main electrical, and life safety matters are what gets chiseled into stone early and thus can be "grandfathered" if construction is delayed and the codes change during that time. Since California did have major changes in 2006 it makes sense that if Rite Aid took over this site under construction they and the landlord would have been incentivized to work under the existing permit as-is with change orders even if it wasn't exactly Rite Aid prototype instead of face a whole new permit from scratch which could be subject to new debate and even denial. I noticed last night the Murrieta Hot Springs Walgreens store by Sam's Club is very similar in design.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: January 14th, 2024, 12:30 pm

In my experience with building new stores, all the interior details and cosmetic stuff like windows and doors are very basic change orders that get rubber stamped by City Hall. Even stuff like the plumbing for an ice cream counter is trivial and can all be changed mid or even late construction, which I've experienced when a new company prototype was approved in the middle of a build and then the company determined they wanted it shoe horned in. Fire Exits are also something that I've had arguments over, basically if the local Fire Marshal doesn't like your design for any reason they can demand additional doors and it's a lot easier to just do what they want versus fight them and then face constant inspections etc. in retaliation... It's a battle you can't win. The main shell, roofline, structural supports, basic logistics, main electrical, and life safety matters are what gets chiseled into stone early and thus can be "grandfathered" if construction is delayed and the codes change during that time. Since California did have major changes in 2006 it makes sense that if Rite Aid took over this site under construction they and the landlord would have been incentivized to work under the existing permit as-is with change orders even if it wasn't exactly Rite Aid prototype instead of face a whole new permit from scratch which could be subject to new debate and even denial. I noticed last night the Murrieta Hot Springs Walgreens store by Sam's Club is very similar in design.
It seemed like there was a point during Walgreens mass store build out where they started to cancel sites. Walgreens during their initial store build out in the late 90's/early 00's was very picky about locations, access, wanted the best corners, was willing to pay quite a bit for them, and demolish existing things to get those corners. But as time went on they seemed to just pick what I'd call worse and worse locations. Less visible, not as good of access, not "as busy" of a corner, etc. Of course those new stores that "were at the corner but not the highlight of the corner but instead hidden behind something else" didn't do as well and once they had enough of those in their fleet I think they started to pull back on the expansion project to some extent.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

12 more stores closing in today's court docket.

4 CA Stores: Livermore, Studio City (was a 24 hour store until recently), Westminster, Hemet.

Downtown Portland. Read the Google reviews on that store recently. YIKES.

Current Rite Aid store count excluding Bartell sits at 1,787 today.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: January 16th, 2024, 11:15 pm 12 more stores closing in today's court docket.

4 CA Stores: Livermore, Studio City (was a 24 hour store until recently), Westminster, Hemet.

Westminster and Hemet likely were both super high shrink. That Westminster location is tough and I'm surprised Albertsons hasn't closed next door. The Walgreens across the street was closed due to shrink (I know that for certain). Hemet is just plain bad news and usually shrink central at any retailer there. The Harbor Freight Tools is pretty much all pull tickets on peg hooks with all the tools locked up behind the desk (I was told this by a relative that went there a couple weeks ago and was shocked by the security levels).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: January 16th, 2024, 11:48 pm
storewanderer wrote: January 16th, 2024, 11:15 pm 12 more stores closing in today's court docket.

Westminster and Hemet likely were both super high shrink. That Westminster location is tough and I'm surprised Albertsons hasn't closed next door. The Walgreens across the street was closed due to shrink (I know that for certain). Hemet is just plain bad news and usually shrink central at any retailer there. The Harbor Freight Tools is pretty much all pull tickets on peg hooks with all the tools locked up behind the desk (I was told this by a relative that went there a couple weeks ago and was shocked by the security levels).
That takes Rite Aid completely out of Livermore and Hemet. There were previous closures in both. The Livermore (Payless) unit that is closing is in a pretty slow shopping center so I am not overly surprised it is closing. This is bad because it leaves Rite Aid with 1 store in the Livermore/Dublin/Pleasanton/San Ramon area which is pretty pathetic. That 1 store remaining in Pleasanton (Thrifty) is a very nice store inside but looks pretty dire on the outside and is in a shopping center with a very slow grocery anchor but decent traffic for other stuff so maybe it is safe.

Studio City maybe Veteran+ can weigh in on.

Looking at Hemet I see a RA1 building with a Wellness interior but the ceiling is the Customer World ceiling. So I am wondering if Hemet opened with Customer World or was a RA1 remodeled into Customer World prototype including layout (can't think of ever seeing that happen).

I think that Harbor Freight in Hemet is a relocation of an older/smaller store.

The Westminster Albertsons still had the Supervalu PFH interior as of last spring. It has traffic... I think it serves a purpose in the area.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Hemet is seriously awfull as you say!

San Jacinto is slightly better but not by much.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: January 17th, 2024, 12:37 am

That takes Rite Aid completely out of Livermore and Hemet. There were previous closures in both. The Livermore (Payless) unit that is closing is in a pretty slow shopping center so I am not overly surprised it is closing. This is bad because it leaves Rite Aid with 1 store in the Livermore/Dublin/Pleasanton/San Ramon area which is pretty pathetic. That 1 store remaining in Pleasanton (Thrifty) is a very nice store inside but looks pretty dire on the outside and is in a shopping center with a very slow grocery anchor but decent traffic for other stuff so maybe it is safe.

Looking at Hemet I see a RA1 building with a Wellness interior but the ceiling is the Customer World ceiling. So I am wondering if Hemet opened with Customer World or was a RA1 remodeled into Customer World prototype including layout (can't think of ever seeing that happen).

The Westminster Albertsons still had the Supervalu PFH interior as of last spring. It has traffic... I think it serves a purpose in the area.
Last I visited the Studio City store it was in good shape but that was a year ago so...................
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: January 17th, 2024, 12:37 am

Pictures from a month ago in reviews look decently stocked or even fully stocked in Hemet, so wonder if this is a more recent landlord boot? Rents are pretty cheap there so I doubt they were asking for big concessions. If they close much more in Southwest Riverside County they might as well just leave entirely.

Studio City area usually is pretty good for most retailers, but rents are very high and some buildings are very old. I could see either the landlord refusing to budge on rent or refusing to take ownership of all repairs and maintenance there, causing the closure.

As this progresses, I really wonder if there is a common retailer or two that is snapping up these locations? I don't see CVS acquiring anything without a drive through, but I do see them taking locations with drive through lanes possibly to relocate their own stores that lack them. Could one of the dollar store chains be behind some of this? It's going to be interesting to see who starts opening up where these stores shut down.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

That store is in the Pearl District. It should be a cash cow for them. It's a block or two away from being in an ideal location but there are few real competitors in an area that continues to add population. But yes, they do have to deal with the homeless and that probably scares away customers.