Haggen to close, liquidate 100 more stores

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Haggen to close, liquidate 100 more stores

Post by veteran+ »

pseudo3d wrote:
arizonaguy wrote:
pseudo3d wrote: I think that definitely Safeway had "real value", not so much in the stores themselves but a base to build a chain off of (back office support, brand names, manufacturing plants). United did too...as far as I know, a lot of that has been left alone (including décor packages). I don't know too much about the reopening of Haggen stores, but that and the acquisition of some A&P stores have been the only "acquisitions" that have happened so far. Paul's Market and Haggen haven't even been official yet, and as for the former, the name won't be kept.

A&P had a lot of problems. The unions made demands some buyers might have found unreasonable, and a lot of their stores were in really bad shape. There's a reason no company wanted A&P wholesale in the last 10 years. Heck, even Kroger was interested in buying Winn-Dixie prior to their 2005 bankruptcy!

Albertsons in areas outside of the West has never been close to a monopoly. Most of the stores built under the original Albertsons Inc. died off several years ago.

During the collapse of the Southwest division, there were a lot of questions regarding Haggen and Comvest that never went answered before Albertsons reappeared to buy back the stores. Hedge funds do destroy stores, just like at Sears and Kmart.
Albertsons/Safeway is owned by a hedge fund.

In reality Albertsons isn't buying anything. Cerberus (the hedge fund is) and placing control of the supermarket assets it acquires under the Albertsons umbrella.
Cerberus is a private equity group. Hedge funds want to provide high investment returns as quickly as possible, which is death to retail stores as they attempt to divest things like property (which Sears and Haggen did). Private equity groups want to focus on long-term potential, which is the goal of something like Albertsons. They are easy to get confused, though, especially given how Albertsons LLC closed or otherwise sold about 70% of the stores they acquired.

http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers ... y-fund.asp

Yes, they are supposed to operate that way.

Ron Perlman has a private equity company (yes?) that raided all the assets (hidden paper assets as well) of Pantry Pride and made a ton of money which he used to buy Revlon Cosmetics. There was no long term strategy in his head on this one.
klkla

Post by klkla »

storewanderer wrote:I'm guessing the FTC may have not allowed the purchase of the 3 additional core stores being closed; there is a very heavy Albertsons/Safeway penetration in those locations already. It is interesting the stores are being closed rather than being forced to be sold off. Maybe nobody else wanted the stores...
I'm guessing that Albertsons is requesting Haggen to close the stores before finalizing the deal. If Haggen closes them they can void the leases because they are in bankruptcy. If they're not disposed of by the time the BK proceeding and final sale closes Albertson's is stuck with the stores.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

A good timeline of the Haggen Food & Pharmacy chain, from open to acquisition, courtesy the Bellingham Herald
A history of Haggen
rvt
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by rvt »

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/lo ... 09047.html

Haggen name to remain on 15 sold stores.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

Here is the Seattle Times perspective on what went wrong at Haggen.

http://www.seattletimes.com/business/ec ... ent-wrong/
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Yesterday, the LV Village Center Vons reopened as an Albertsons. What I find interesting is that they mention 3 other grocers were interested. Smart & Final was one of them, but I wonder what the other two were...?

http://www.reviewjournal.com/business/r ... ood-photos
klkla

Post by klkla »

Interesting they opened it as an Albertsons. I have a feeling the Vons name will not last very much longer in Las Vegas.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

A little late on the draw for this one, but Albertsons still isn't done with reopening its re-acquired Haggen stores. This one (former Safeway 311) was the one that was supposed to reopen as Albertsons, presumably with LLC décor. [http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/ ... d.html.csp#]

http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/ ... d.html.csp
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Former "Haggen" creditors taking Comvest to court over their strategy for acquiring the former Albertsons stores and then moving the real estate to other entities:
Creditors: Haggen’s former owner "tried to slink away" with millions owed to them in bankruptcy
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

SamSpade wrote:Former "Haggen" creditors taking Comvest to court over their strategy for acquiring the former Albertsons stores and then moving the real estate to other entities:
Creditors: Haggen’s former owner "tried to slink away" with millions owed to them in bankruptcy
Aha..........finally someone sees who the real devil was in this debacle.

I'm not implying that the other parties (once in) were totally innocent (of mal-intent or incompetence).

But I feel that the supercilious behavior had its genesis (surreptitiously) in Comvest.