BBB in Chapter 11

Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: BBB in Chapter 11

Post by Romr123 »

Beverly Hills MI visited yesterday--as described--lots and lots of random reasonably plausible if crappy off-brand junque; 40% off everything except for bathroom furniture(?) at 70% (space savers/shelves). A couple of Miele vacuums still--several Dyson stick-vacs. Lots and lots of pillows. No Harmon merchandise at all.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

rwsandiego wrote: June 27th, 2023, 10:57 pm The Camelback Colonnade store in Phoenix closed Sunday (6/25). The store had no merchandise other than handbaskets of miscellaneous junk for $5, including the basket. It I didn't already have plenty of baskets and organizers I'd have bought a couple and donated the junk, but I am trying to get rid of stuff, not acquire more.

I don't know whether any other Phoenix-area stores are still open. I intended to stop in to the one on Mayo Blvd in North Scottsdale, but there was too much traffic to cross the street into the parking lot, so I just left.
The remaining Phoenix-area BBB's might still be open. The Camelback store is pretty small, so they probably sold out fast. Also, there could be a replacement waiting in the wings. There are very few places to open retail stores along Camelback and it wouldn't surprise me if the landlord wanted BBB out. If memory serves, there are no vacancies at Colonnade or at Town and Country across the street.

I was near the North Scottsdale one yesterday (Mayo Blvd and Scottsdale Rd) but didn't stop in. My errand took me to the shopping center across the street (Container Store and Whole Foods) and traffic on Mayo was insane, so I didn't go across the street to see if it was open.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

storewanderer wrote: June 27th, 2023, 11:05 pm

Or just really stubborn until the last second. I guess I need to keep my eye on the place 6/30... from everything I can tell that is supposed to be the last closing day for every store in the chain.
I've heard the end of July as the end date for any remaining stores.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

mbz321 wrote: June 28th, 2023, 6:35 pm
storewanderer wrote: June 27th, 2023, 11:05 pm

Or just really stubborn until the last second. I guess I need to keep my eye on the place 6/30... from everything I can tell that is supposed to be the last closing day for every store in the chain.
I've heard the end of July as the end date for any remaining stores.
Overstock bought the name BBB and will use that name going forward. The Overstock name will be phased out.

No physical stores.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

50-70% off today; closing date unknown. Limited new items coming via UPS.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Has anyone been able to get a list of the stores acquired by other retailers in the bankruptcy auction? I've seen a map but when I looked through the bankruptcy website I couldn't find a list of the winning bidders. It should be public information.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Stores will start to close in phases Friday, Saturday, and the last batch on Sunday; no more stores open after Sunday.

They are to vacate the facilities on Monday. It sounds like quite a bit of fixtures/equipment will be left behind.

I am not sure I've heard before of a store that ends liquidation sale and then vacates the facility the very next day. Maybe the Forever 21 that closed here did that as I remember going on their last day and buying some fixtures but also clothing in the same transaction and it was getting emptied. The liquidator who was a real prize told everyone pick up had to be "IMMEDIATE" and went so far as to force some woman to stand there for 2 hours in front of the fixtures she had just bought while her husband went and got their truck because the liquidator demanded immediate pick up and flat out told the woman AFTER she paid for the fixtures when she asked for SOLD stickers (I think she had been to a lot of liquidations) "if you leave I cannot guarantee I won't sell these fixtures to someone else..." and ... oh, I'll just refrain further comment regarding that liquidator.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Today was the end supposedly...

Final fixture sales occurred today.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

storewanderer wrote: July 30th, 2023, 11:31 pm Today was the end supposedly...

Final fixture sales occurred today.
Our nearby Buy Buy Baby store's had the 90-90% off sign on the poor sign spinner yesterday so yes, I think it was the end.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

https://www.retaildive.com/news/oversto ... nd/689560/

Meanwhile, as the last physical Bed Bath and Beyond stores closed, Overstock.com has now officially rebranded itself to Bed Bath and Beyond after purchasing the brand and intellectual property for roughly $21 million in a bankruptcy auction in June. Normally these "zombie brand" deals amount to basically nothing significant, but I can't recall any previous instances where they came from a business as well established as Overstock, which considered its own brand to be a leftover from an earlier business model it abandoned 20 years ago.