Breaking: HEB buys 6 Minyard Sun Fresh stores in DFW

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
pseudo3d

Re: Breaking: HEB buys 6 Minyard Sun Fresh stores in DFW

Post by pseudo3d »

What about the last Minyard store that wasn't bought by H-E-B? Is it gone too?
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

pseudo3d wrote:What about the last Minyard store that wasn't bought by H-E-B? Is it gone too?
Last time I checked, the Arapaho store was still operating. However, I don't expect that store to remain as a lone survivor for long, as it is surrounded by multiple Kroger, Tom Thumb and Walmart locations within a 5-10 minutes drive in all directions, not to mention the terrible condition of the store itself. Also, supposedly the Uptown store was going to continue operations through October, but more recent media reports have indicated that it has already closed.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

They still have an ad posted for that store and two others.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

storewanderer wrote:They still have an ad posted for that store and two others.
Oh wow, I didn't realize that the Forest Lane store was still open. This store was the only Minyard Sun Fresh being sold to Fiesta which was still operating, so it is likely just retaining the name until it is converted. The other two stores listed online are the Arapaho and Uptown locatiobs, as previously discussed. According to the Sun Fresh DFW Facebook page, the Uptown store is scheduled to remain open until October, so I wonder if there is some significance to this October timeline (especially as it pertains to HEB)?
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

6464 Mockingbird did indeed open as a Skaggs Albertsons but became a Skaggs Alpha Beta later, becoming an Albertsons in '92.

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/15242366/
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

architect wrote:
pseudo3d wrote:What about the last Minyard store that wasn't bought by H-E-B? Is it gone too?
Last time I checked, the Arapaho store was still operating. However, I don't expect that store to remain as a lone survivor for long, as it is surrounded by multiple Kroger, Tom Thumb and Walmart locations within a 5-10 minutes drive in all directions, not to mention the terrible condition of the store itself. Also, supposedly the Uptown store was going to continue operations through October, but more recent media reports have indicated that it has already closed.
In another interesting twist, the Arapaho Minyard Sun Fresh has added full blown "Grand Opening" signs all across their parking lot, with large freestanding banners along Arapaho, yellow and white flag strings running from the building to various light poles, and a large blow-up balloon on the roof. It honestly looks like a car dealership gone bad. Just maybe they are just now getting the memo that they need to draw in customers, a year and a half too late. Either way, it looks absolutely cheap, and a cry that they are desperate for business. I will get a picture the next time I drive by.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

architect wrote:
architect wrote:
In another interesting twist, the Arapaho Minyard Sun Fresh has added full blown "Grand Opening" signs all across their parking lot, with large freestanding banners along Arapaho, yellow and white flag strings running from the building to various light poles, and a large blow-up balloon on the roof. It honestly looks like a car dealership gone bad. Just maybe they are just now getting the memo that they need to draw in customers, a year and a half too late. Either way, it looks absolutely cheap, and a cry that they are desperate for business. I will get a picture the next time I drive by.
So after selling off the Minyard and MSFM Sun Fresh stores, why are they still operating this store? They might as well sell back to Albertsons or H-E-B and get some cash off of it, even if neither operate it.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

pseudo3d wrote:
architect wrote:
architect wrote:
So after selling off the Minyard and MSFM Sun Fresh stores, why are they still operating this store? They might as well sell back to Albertsons or H-E-B and get some cash off of it, even if neither operate it.
My thought exactly. What is the point in operating one store, especially a store that is surrounded by better competition in every direction in a couple of mile radius. I am honestly surprised that HEB did not buy this store, as it is adjacent to a large (mostly vacant) shopping center which could likely be bought, provided a combined large plot of land for a new store. Maybe Arapaho is simply too low-traffic for HEB to feasibly build a store there.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

architect wrote:
pseudo3d wrote:
architect wrote:
My thought exactly. What is the point in operating one store, especially a store that is surrounded by better competition in every direction in a couple of mile radius. I am honestly surprised that HEB did not buy this store, as it is adjacent to a large (mostly vacant) shopping center which could likely be bought, provided a combined large plot of land for a new store. Maybe Arapaho is simply too low-traffic for HEB to feasibly build a store there.
Now for the ridiculous photos I promised:

pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

They really should've done that maybe a year and a half ago. To put it mildly. :roll:

In any case, with the other stores now defunct thanks to H-E-B, I honestly have to wonder sometimes what people see in H-E-B. 7:30 on a Sunday evening, store is packed, every checking line staffed, customer service desk is closed "because they close early on Sundays". A lot of Tom Thumb/Albertsons/Safeway stores get a lot of flack for poor service here, but for H-E-B to pull some arbitrary garbage like this makes me glad there is a Kroger.

Dear Dallasites: You're not missing much.