CVS: current operations and Beauty360

luckysaver
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

CVS: current operations and Beauty360

Post by luckysaver »

CVS's current retail formats includes CVS/Longs, ProCare Specialty Pharmacy, and Beauty360.

Last November (2008), CVS developed and opened Beauty360, a new chain inspired by their beauty and cosmetics sections inside CVS Pharmacies. Beauty360 stores are to be adjacent to selected brand-new CVS locations connected by a covered walkway and Beauty360 will have its own set of employees/store management. Selected CVS stores will also sport a Beauty360 department. Mission Viejo, CA will have one of the first of these stores.

I think a large prototype CVS store would have all the specialty departments such as a home health equipment center, MinuteClinic and Beauty360.

What's your opinion of a standalone drugstore entering the standalone beauty supply business?

luckysaver
Alpha8472

Re: CVS: current operations and Beauty360

Post by Alpha8472 »

I think that standalone Beauty Stores really won't be that successful.

Drugstores are like convenience stores. People go there for one stop shopping. If people have to walk into another store and go through the hassle of another checkout line, many people are not going to bother.

They should have one store and just make one side a Beauty Store and make the other side a Drug Store. They could put up a glass wall or a set of doors in between. However, if you have to leave the building and go into another store, it is too much of a hassle.

I don't think this Beauty store concept will be successful as two separate stores.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I don't think the concept will be successful at all. It is simply for show.

They do need some ideas for how to merchandise/use space in large stores though...
luckysaver
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by luckysaver »

SPACE MANAGEMENT IN LARGE SIZED CVS STORES IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

Since the 2006 takeover from Albertsons, CVS already renovated their largest stores (that were former Clark Drug, Skaggs Drug Centers, Payless Drugs of the 1970's, or Savon Drugs Home Centers) into their standard decor package. From what I have seen in terms of space managment after visiting three of their larger stores this year in Diamond Bar (Payless/Savon Drugs Home Center), La Puente (Savon Drugs Home Center), and Ontario/Chino (Clark Drugs/Savon Drugs Home Center):

- more selection of products (and larger product line), especially expanded grocery and liquor section
- more aisles than the small standard CVS stores and a few aisles reserved for seasonal, promotional, and local products
- larger pharmacy space
- the former garden patio has either been removed, used for storage space. They might also converted the patio to drive-thru pharmacy lanes (which none of the large stores I visited has).
- shrinking the retail floor space to approximately the same size as the smaller stores but larger than the former Savon Express units and expanding the stockroom (Diamond Bar has a huge stockroom in what used to be retail space)
- adding extra departments not found in standard stores such as MinuteClinic, Beauty360, One Hour Photo Lab, and Home Healh Equipment

luckysaver