HEB hires Mabrie Jackson as public affairs executive for North Texas

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
KrogerTexas
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Re: HEB hires Mabrie Jackson as public affairs executive for North Texas

Post by KrogerTexas »

Yes they had stores in those areas. I am thinking they closed in the late 70's. I worked with a person who used to work one of those stores. They were family centers.

The San Marcos store and New Braunfels were part of the San Antonio closure. They were both smaller Greenhouses, about 30K in size rather than the 42K the San Antonio Stores were.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

KrogerTexas wrote:Yes they had stores in those areas. I am thinking they closed in the late 70's. I worked with a person who used to work one of those stores. They were family centers.

The San Marcos store and New Braunfels were part of the San Antonio closure. They were both smaller Greenhouses, about 30K in size rather than the 42K the San Antonio Stores were.
I've never found evidence of a Kroger store being in Waco. Newspapers.com has no evidence of such, except a 1961 of a small chain called Wyatt that sold Kroger products (the logo was not "Krogerized", like Krambo in WI was). As for NB and SM, they probably were sold with the rest of the SA Kroger stores to California-based Megafoods, which rebranded the stores as "Texan Warehouse Foods" which all closed around a year later.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

KrogerTexas wrote:Yes they had stores in those areas. I am thinking they closed in the late 70's. I worked with a person who used to work one of those stores. They were family centers.

I seem to remember being told that there were stores there as well (when I was a Store Mgr. at King Soopers).
KrogerTexas
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by KrogerTexas »

Wyatt Food Stores was bought by Kroger in 1958. I have a attached (I hope) a screen shot of a Wyatt ad in the Waco Paper in 1962. The Wyatt logo looks pretty Kroger like.

The New Braunfels and San Marcos stores were sold to MegaFoods as part of the closure along with the other San Antonio stores. Both were built when the San Antonio stores were built. The San Marcos store (not sure about New Braunfels) floated between being grouped with San Antonio or College Station zones but at the closing it was in the San Antonio zone.

At the peak there were 16 stores in the San Antonio area. One of them was closed in the mid 80's shortly after being built.
Attachments
Wyatt.jpg
Wyatt.jpg (89.75 KiB) Viewed 3940 times
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

During that same timeframe, Kroger also had similar logos for Krambo in Wisconsin and Henke's in Houston, with the same font and blue oval.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

I still can't find any evidence in Waco papers that Kroger actually built stores of their own, and Newspapers.com has archives up until the late 1980s (up to the AppleTree conversion in 1989), nor any locations Kroger Waco had.