Kroger May Sell Off Its Convenience Store Chains, Including Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Posts: 3657
Joined: February 23rd, 2009, 3:54 pm
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Kroger May Sell Off Its Convenience Store Chains, Including Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill

Post by storewanderer » May 5th, 2018, 2:34 pm

Bakeragr wrote:
May 5th, 2018, 2:00 pm
I believe the c-stores in the Memphis market were acquired from Schnucks, who may have inherited them from Sessel’s/Albertsons. When Schnucks sold their Memphis stores, the c-stores were rebranded “Kwik Shop” but apparently were really run under the Tom Thumb store division.
On a separate note, if you go to that Kroger Corporate link (www.bakersplus.com/cstores), the stores listed as sold to EG group don’t list most of the Turkey Hill stores. Not sure why. Looks like EG really acquired a grab bag of stores with little market penetration. To me, the only option will be to sell the stores off piecemeal in each market.
I noticed this too with the list on that site. For instance it only showed the Quik Stops in Nevada, not any of the California ones.

Also a lot of Tom Thumb in FL is missing.

I realize what it is. The list only is of c-stores sold that were "attached" to some Kroger grocery banner's fuel points program.

In the case of a lot of Turkey Hill, FL Tom Thumb, and CA Quik Stop, those stores were not "attached" to any of the grocery banner loyalty programs... so they did not show up on the list.

Interesting how many stores in Colorado were retained... almost all in the parking lot of or within eyesight of a KS/CM.

pseudo3d
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2494
Joined: November 12th, 2015, 7:01 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Kroger May Sell Off Its Convenience Store Chains, Including Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill

Post by pseudo3d » May 5th, 2018, 3:48 pm

Bakeragr wrote:
May 5th, 2018, 2:00 pm
I believe the c-stores in the Memphis market were acquired from Schnucks, who may have inherited them from Sessel’s/Albertsons. When Schnucks sold their Memphis stores, the c-stores were rebranded “Kwik Shop” but apparently were really run under the Tom Thumb store division.
On a separate note, if you go to that Kroger Corporate link (www.bakersplus.com/cstores), the stores listed as sold to EG group don’t list most of the Turkey Hill stores. Not sure why. Looks like EG really acquired a grab bag of stores with little market penetration. To me, the only option will be to sell the stores off piecemeal in each market.
I still think they can make Turkey Hill at least a solid East Coast chain, but they're barking up the wrong tree with the others. If they keep the stores up at least in decent shape, then they can milk them for cash to fund their European ventures.

storewanderer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Posts: 3657
Joined: February 23rd, 2009, 3:54 pm
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Kroger May Sell Off Its Convenience Store Chains, Including Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill

Post by storewanderer » May 6th, 2018, 12:09 am

pseudo3d wrote:
May 5th, 2018, 3:48 pm
Bakeragr wrote:
May 5th, 2018, 2:00 pm
I believe the c-stores in the Memphis market were acquired from Schnucks, who may have inherited them from Sessel’s/Albertsons. When Schnucks sold their Memphis stores, the c-stores were rebranded “Kwik Shop” but apparently were really run under the Tom Thumb store division.
On a separate note, if you go to that Kroger Corporate link (www.bakersplus.com/cstores), the stores listed as sold to EG group don’t list most of the Turkey Hill stores. Not sure why. Looks like EG really acquired a grab bag of stores with little market penetration. To me, the only option will be to sell the stores off piecemeal in each market.
I still think they can make Turkey Hill at least a solid East Coast chain, but they're barking up the wrong tree with the others. If they keep the stores up at least in decent shape, then they can milk them for cash to fund their European ventures.
I don't know enough about Turkey Hill to know. I do think Loaf N Jug (and maybe Kwik Shop) have some potential to be solid chains in their markets. The retention of those scattered Loaf N Jugs by Kroger does complicate things to some extent but I don't think it is a deal maker by any means as Loaf N Jug still has some penetration in quite a few spots, though many are rural.

I also see the Kroger Pharmacy inside the Tom Thumb in Pensacola, FL closed... appears it just closed as there are (positive) reviews of it on Google from 3-4 months ago.

pseudo3d
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2494
Joined: November 12th, 2015, 7:01 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Kroger May Sell Off Its Convenience Store Chains, Including Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill

Post by pseudo3d » May 6th, 2018, 8:21 am

storewanderer wrote:
May 6th, 2018, 12:09 am
pseudo3d wrote:
May 5th, 2018, 3:48 pm
Bakeragr wrote:
May 5th, 2018, 2:00 pm
I believe the c-stores in the Memphis market were acquired from Schnucks, who may have inherited them from Sessel’s/Albertsons. When Schnucks sold their Memphis stores, the c-stores were rebranded “Kwik Shop” but apparently were really run under the Tom Thumb store division.
On a separate note, if you go to that Kroger Corporate link (www.bakersplus.com/cstores), the stores listed as sold to EG group don’t list most of the Turkey Hill stores. Not sure why. Looks like EG really acquired a grab bag of stores with little market penetration. To me, the only option will be to sell the stores off piecemeal in each market.
I still think they can make Turkey Hill at least a solid East Coast chain, but they're barking up the wrong tree with the others. If they keep the stores up at least in decent shape, then they can milk them for cash to fund their European ventures.
I don't know enough about Turkey Hill to know. I do think Loaf N Jug (and maybe Kwik Shop) have some potential to be solid chains in their markets. The retention of those scattered Loaf N Jugs by Kroger does complicate things to some extent but I don't think it is a deal maker by any means as Loaf N Jug still has some penetration in quite a few spots, though many are rural.

I also see the Kroger Pharmacy inside the Tom Thumb in Pensacola, FL closed... appears it just closed as there are (positive) reviews of it on Google from 3-4 months ago.
It's just the fact that the stores are too scattered and too many conditions to really make it the chain they want. Strategically, what they wanted would've made more sense if they had snapped up CST Brands or the Sunoco stores.

a42887
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 21
Joined: February 19th, 2018, 8:13 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Kroger May Sell Off Its Convenience Store Chains, Including Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill

Post by a42887 » May 20th, 2018, 7:52 am

Bakeragr wrote:
May 5th, 2018, 2:00 pm
I believe the c-stores in the Memphis market were acquired from Schnucks, who may have inherited them from Sessel’s/Albertsons. When Schnucks sold their Memphis stores, the c-stores were rebranded “Kwik Shop” but apparently were really run under the Tom Thumb store division.
On a separate note, if you go to that Kroger Corporate link (www.bakersplus.com/cstores), the stores listed as sold to EG group don’t list most of the Turkey Hill stores. Not sure why. Looks like EG really acquired a grab bag of stores with little market penetration. To me, the only option will be to sell the stores off piecemeal in each market.
There's stores even within the Loaf 'N Jug banner missing from the list. I don't know all of them, but there are two stores in Laramie, Wyoming missing from both lists.

The list of divested stores is most definitely not 762 long though.

Also odd that the new banner for the retained Fremont, Nebraska location is Dillon's, when Baker's is the banner for grocery in that market (which is reflected on all of the divested Kwik Shops).

storewanderer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Posts: 3657
Joined: February 23rd, 2009, 3:54 pm
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Kroger May Sell Off Its Convenience Store Chains, Including Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill

Post by storewanderer » May 20th, 2018, 9:07 pm

a42887 wrote:
May 20th, 2018, 7:52 am
Bakeragr wrote:
May 5th, 2018, 2:00 pm
I believe the c-stores in the Memphis market were acquired from Schnucks, who may have inherited them from Sessel’s/Albertsons. When Schnucks sold their Memphis stores, the c-stores were rebranded “Kwik Shop” but apparently were really run under the Tom Thumb store division.
On a separate note, if you go to that Kroger Corporate link (www.bakersplus.com/cstores), the stores listed as sold to EG group don’t list most of the Turkey Hill stores. Not sure why. Looks like EG really acquired a grab bag of stores with little market penetration. To me, the only option will be to sell the stores off piecemeal in each market.
There's stores even within the Loaf 'N Jug banner missing from the list. I don't know all of them, but there are two stores in Laramie, Wyoming missing from both lists.

The list of divested stores is most definitely not 762 long though.

Also odd that the new banner for the retained Fremont, Nebraska location is Dillon's, when Baker's is the banner for grocery in that market (which is reflected on all of the divested Kwik Shops).
The lists seem to only have c-stores that were tied to a loyalty card. So in the case of Laramie, since Kroger has no supermarket there, they omitted those from the list. Similar to all of the California Quik Stops which did not participate in fuel rewards but did have the loyalty card for beverage/pizza clubs (despite a few being in close proximity to FoodsCos which does have a fuel rewards program redeemable at its gas stations and other Kroger stations).

storewanderer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Posts: 3657
Joined: February 23rd, 2009, 3:54 pm
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Kroger May Sell Off Its Convenience Store Chains, Including Kwik Shop, Tom Thumb, Turkey Hill

Post by storewanderer » December 8th, 2018, 9:04 am

Signage at Quik Stop says effective December 31, they will no longer be accepting Kroger Gift Cards.

Quik Stop also put new stickers on the pump skirts that say just Quik Stop (no longer a Smiths logo). The pump screen also asks "do you have loyalty card" instead of "do you have Smith's card" now.

Over at Smiths they covered the Quik Stop logos on their pumps with masking tape. You can see right through it.

Post Reply