Multiple Sam's Club Stores to close

arizonaguy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Posts: 541
Joined: July 12th, 2013, 6:07 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Multiple Sam's Club Stores to close

Post by arizonaguy » February 9th, 2018, 5:27 pm

wnetmacman wrote:
February 9th, 2018, 4:20 pm
BillyGr wrote:
February 9th, 2018, 10:59 am
Although perhaps not as much as would first be thought - after all, if you place an order there and go to pick it up, should you think of something else you forgot to get (or hear an ad for product x while en route that sounds good) it would only be sensible to grab it while you are there, rather than making another stop, at least it seems?
Have you used Walmart or Sam's Pickup? You do not enter the store. No checkout line. So no impulse buying.
I've never used Sam's pickup but in my area it appears that one has to walk into the store to pick up their items.

With Walmart there seems to be 2 different pickup systems going on depending on the item ordered.

If it's groceries, it's a pickup outside of the store where your items are delivered to.

At the closest Walmart to me, though, general merchandise is picked up in the very back of the store (next to electronics).

BillyGr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Posts: 333
Joined: October 5th, 2010, 7:33 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Multiple Sam's Club Stores to close

Post by BillyGr » February 10th, 2018, 10:40 am

wnetmacman wrote:
February 9th, 2018, 4:20 pm
BillyGr wrote:
February 9th, 2018, 10:59 am
Although perhaps not as much as would first be thought - after all, if you place an order there and go to pick it up, should you think of something else you forgot to get (or hear an ad for product x while en route that sounds good) it would only be sensible to grab it while you are there, rather than making another stop, at least it seems?
Have you used Walmart or Sam's Pickup? You do not enter the store. No checkout line. So no impulse buying.
I wasn't referring to seeing stuff and picking it up like one would do while waiting to checkout.

Rather, I was thinking that, as long as you are already in their parking lot, if you remembered (while driving there to pick up the order for instance) that you needed item y and forgot to order it, wouldn't you think about running in and grabbing it while you are right there, rather than going somewhere else to get it?
Or, while driving there to pick up the order, you heard an ad on the radio for something you've been meaning to try out or that reminded you of something you meant to order and didn't, again the convenience of being feet from the store might encourage you to park and go in and grab that item.

Brian Lutz
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Posts: 426
Joined: March 1st, 2009, 5:51 pm
Location: Lake Stevens WA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Multiple Sam's Club Stores to close

Post by Brian Lutz » March 30th, 2018, 11:48 am

Meanwhile, the parking lot of the former Sam's Club location in Seattle on Aurora Avenue was quickly occupied by squatters once the store closed, to the point that police intervention was required to clear it out: http://komonews.com/news/local/squatter ... th-seattle

storewanderer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Posts: 3268
Joined: February 23rd, 2009, 3:54 pm
Contact:
Status: Offline

Re: Multiple Sam's Club Stores to close

Post by storewanderer » March 30th, 2018, 11:23 pm

Brian Lutz wrote:
March 30th, 2018, 11:48 am
Meanwhile, the parking lot of the former Sam's Club location in Seattle on Aurora Avenue was quickly occupied by squatters once the store closed, to the point that police intervention was required to clear it out: http://komonews.com/news/local/squatter ... th-seattle
I guess they will have to fence and gate the place off. That area in Seattle was always a little rough around the edges but this appears to be a very very bad situation. So no people were camping in the parking lot back when the store was open?

Camping is very common at rural Wal Marts throughout the middle of the United States...where there is not a large appears to be ongoing situation with dozens (hundreds?) of homeless people like various of the larger cities particularly on the west coast, but actual people driving RVs around and just needing a place to stop for the night taking Wal Mart's offer of a free parking lot... here in Reno there is a city ordinance against this practice, but sometimes there will still be a few RVs in the parking lot after 10 or 11 PM at the store near me, and they are gone early the next morning, so nobody really cares.

Super S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Posts: 1110
Joined: April 1st, 2009, 9:27 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Multiple Sam's Club Stores to close

Post by Super S » March 31st, 2018, 8:22 am

storewanderer wrote:
March 30th, 2018, 11:23 pm
Brian Lutz wrote:
March 30th, 2018, 11:48 am
Meanwhile, the parking lot of the former Sam's Club location in Seattle on Aurora Avenue was quickly occupied by squatters once the store closed, to the point that police intervention was required to clear it out: http://komonews.com/news/local/squatter ... th-seattle
I guess they will have to fence and gate the place off. That area in Seattle was always a little rough around the edges but this appears to be a very very bad situation. So no people were camping in the parking lot back when the store was open?

Camping is very common at rural Wal Marts throughout the middle of the United States...where there is not a large appears to be ongoing situation with dozens (hundreds?) of homeless people like various of the larger cities particularly on the west coast, but actual people driving RVs around and just needing a place to stop for the night taking Wal Mart's offer of a free parking lot... here in Reno there is a city ordinance against this practice, but sometimes there will still be a few RVs in the parking lot after 10 or 11 PM at the store near me, and they are gone early the next morning, so nobody really cares.
Some cities flat out prohibit camping in store parking lots including Walmart, due to some people causing problems. While other cities have no problem with people making overnight stays (which I think represent the majority).

In some cases, Walmart will also allow a limited amount of semi truck parking (including non-Walmart trucks)if space allows, sometimes in front, sometimes at the rear. I have a family member that drives truck who sometimes passes through and will park at a local Walmart and I will pick him up when he wants to visit for the day.

arizonaguy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Posts: 541
Joined: July 12th, 2013, 6:07 pm
Status: Offline

Re: Multiple Sam's Club Stores to close

Post by arizonaguy » May 17th, 2018, 4:39 pm

Sam's Club's same store sales, excluding fuel, are up 3.8% for the quarter.

https://www.thestreet.com/markets/walma ... l-14592519

Post Reply