Western Family being replaced by Food Club at Associated Food Stores??

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: Western Family being replaced by Food Club at Associated Food Stores??

Post by SamSpade » August 6th, 2018, 9:37 pm

No food club in former Unified stores supplied by SuperValu that I've seen.

I was just in a New Seasons. It appears their preference is:
Own label when possible
Wild Harvest. If unavailable, Essential Everyday may be substitute (in paper you can get one 'Shoppers Value' item)
CADIA"

*Not technically a store brand but largely filling in that category at NSM.

I don't know if they use KeHe or UNFI for their "natural" items.

SamSpade
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Post by SamSpade » August 11th, 2018, 12:13 pm

Market of Choice:
All Natural Directions offerings marked with green plastic over the shelf tags. Replaced with Wild Harvest in same product as depleted.

I will say that Wild Harvest packaging in canned and boxed goods looks "better" (stood out more) than Natural Directions.

Western Family being replaced with Essential Everyday.

MoC is more focused on regional, "natural," and specialty groceries but as the name implies, does allow for quite a bit of Choice.

storewanderer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by storewanderer » August 11th, 2018, 4:38 pm

SamSpade wrote:
August 11th, 2018, 12:13 pm
Market of Choice:
All Natural Directions offerings marked with green plastic over the shelf tags. Replaced with Wild Harvest in same product as depleted.

I will say that Wild Harvest packaging in canned and boxed goods looks "better" (stood out more) than Natural Directions.

Western Family being replaced with Essential Everyday.

MoC is more focused on regional, "natural," and specialty groceries but as the name implies, does allow for quite a bit of Choice.
It appears Supervalu is cutting ties with Topco and bringing in their own brands (no surprise). Wild Harvest always had good packaging.

wyoretailman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by wyoretailman » February 24th, 2019, 7:35 pm

Before I starting for the competitor here in Casper, WY I noticed that Ridley's Family Markets was changing over from Western Family to Food Club. I know Ridleys is serviced by Associated.

Seeing this brand brought back memories of shopping at CityMarket with my mom in Rawlins, WY (a Dillion's banner and now a Kroger banner) and Dillions in Wellington, KS. Along with other brands like TopFrost and I think TopCrest, FoodClub was a store that my mom often bought.

storewanderer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by storewanderer » February 24th, 2019, 8:43 pm

Food Club is a fairly comprehensive private label program. TopCo clearly starved Western Family in an effort to kill the line off by cutting its SKUs, eliminating it on household items in place of Simply Done (bleh) or Top Care. I suspect the fatal blow to Western Family continuing as a label was when Supervalu decided to start pushing its own labels in CA, OR, WA, etc. and the independents switched over to those labels in mass and few kept Western Family. AFS and its customers really pushed Western Family strongly though and seeing it go away there is a bit strange.

Western Family fell behind the past few years as they were shutting things down, it too was once very comprehensive. I did like the Western Family brand as it was such a fixture at these small chains/independents all over for so many years, and felt the label had decent quality (I know others disagree on this). However, in going to a few NorCal Unified independents the past month or so and doing an objective walkthrough of their stores, which were remerchandised to add in Supervalu brands and clearance out all of the old WF/Topco stuff, the private label situation in the stores looks a lot better now, than it did before. The Essential Everyday, Wild Harvest, Equaline, and Culinary Circle items have better packaging, a better item assortment, and just appear to be more up with the current times.