Rite Aid Conversions or Closings

MSSportsGuy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Rite Aid Conversions or Closings

Post by MSSportsGuy » January 12th, 2019, 9:12 am

I saw a list over a year ago where it indicated Rite Aid was leaving most states in the southeast (where I reside). Rite Aid didn't have a large presence in the Memphis area where I reside and there were a few scattered around North Mississippi. The last Rite Aid in Memphis closed completely in November.

I visited Atlanta (my former home) recently and saw the two Rite Aid locations in relatively close proximity to my old apartment were still open but I assume both have converted their pharmacy to Walgreens. I reviewed the website and saw there were no more stores listed in Mississippi or Western Tennessee, but there were still several stores in Alabama, Georgia and East Tennessee listed and all those were among the states where Rite Aid planned to exit.

I assume these have been sold to Wolgreens but am curious why these closures or rebrands seem to have taken longer than the almost immediate closures of the stores around Memphis and North Mississippi.

storewanderer
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Rite Aid Conversions or Closings

Post by storewanderer » January 12th, 2019, 10:27 am

It is unclear what their timeframe is. They have kept one lone Rite Aid in Denver (the one with the full liquor department) but converted the rest of that market back in October over to Walgreens or closed. Rite Aid is 100% gone from Utah now. But there are still 82 Rite Aids left in Kentucky and 65 in Georgia. The Rite Aid locator may not be 100% accurate anymore (it sent me to a couple recently closed stores in Kentucky last summer- by recently I mean they closed a week or so before I got to them, and they did disappear from the locator within another week or two) but it is getting updated still.

BillyGr
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Rite Aid Conversions or Closings

Post by BillyGr » January 12th, 2019, 4:48 pm

It does seem to be somewhat confusing.

For example here in NY (where a bit less than 1/2 the stores were sold to Walgreens), in one town they almost immediately closed the Rite Aid back in the summer (where it is across the street from an existing Walgreens), waited until November to convert another store (which is RIGHT NEXT DOOR, across a side street from an existing Walgreens) but have not (as of yet) converted other Rite Aids (except the pharmacies) in nearby towns that have no existing Walgreens stores.

Even the purchasing seemed odd - for instance the one I mention first that closed those are the only two stores in town (no CVS) - the second has an existing CVS on a 3rd corner of the same intersection.