Target posts strong Q4 numbers

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Target posts strong Q4 numbers

Post by Brian Lutz »

https://komonews.com/news/business/targ ... th-quarter

Apparently their efforts to remodel and modernize stores are paying off. They're also making some significant gains in online sales.
storewanderer

Re: Target posts strong Q4 numbers

Post by storewanderer »

It seems both Target and Wal Mart are doing very well lately. I am trying to figure out who they are capturing share from. It is probably multiple sources. I don't think they are really capturing share directly from grocers at this point.

I almost think part of what is happening as some of these "category focused chains" close stores (toy stores, office stores, shoe stores) that traffic is moving back to these chains that they had previously lost.

And of course if you go into Target or Wal Mart with toys in mind, chances are you will get items from other categories as well to enjoy the convenience of one stop shopping and skip the later stop at the grocery store or the pet chain or drug store.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

storewanderer wrote: March 6th, 2019, 6:35 pm It seems both Target and Wal Mart are doing very well lately. I am trying to figure out who they are capturing share from. It is probably multiple sources. I don't think they are really capturing share directly from grocers at this point.

I almost think part of what is happening as some of these "category focused chains" close stores (toy stores, office stores, shoe stores) that traffic is moving back to these chains that they had previously lost.

And of course if you go into Target or Wal Mart with toys in mind, chances are you will get items from other categories as well to enjoy the convenience of one stop shopping and skip the later stop at the grocery store or the pet chain or drug store.
I pretty much agree with your points.

Target and Walmart seem to be capturing business from two sources:

- Displaced shoppers who would in the past have shopped at specialty stores or department stores (which have closed)
- Customers who ordered items online and pick them up in store

Also, I think both retailers online offerings are significantly better than they have been in years past and almost offer Amazon like experiences with comparable pricing (especially for people who are not Prime members).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

arizonaguy wrote: March 6th, 2019, 9:52 pm
storewanderer wrote: March 6th, 2019, 6:35 pm It seems both Target and Wal Mart are doing very well lately. I am trying to figure out who they are capturing share from. It is probably multiple sources. I don't think they are really capturing share directly from grocers at this point.

I pretty much agree with your points.

Target and Walmart seem to be capturing business from two sources:

- Displaced shoppers who would in the past have shopped at specialty stores or department stores (which have closed)
- Customers who ordered items online and pick them up in store

Also, I think both retailers online offerings are significantly better than they have been in years past and almost offer Amazon like experiences with comparable pricing (especially for people who are not Prime members).
I definitely agree that these two retailers have really beefed up their online offerings. Wal Mart specifically has really done some interesting things. On grocery I am finding I can purchase cases of "regional items" from other regions that are not carried in the stores here, and do the ship to store option and get the items here in a few days. This is through the regular Walmart.com (not the grocery.walmart.com which just shows local store offerings).

Amazon still seems to do better on the more random items like refrigerator filters and that sort of thing...