Ralphs Store Closed: El Cajon

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Ralphs Store Closed: El Cajon

Post by storewanderer »

I see Ralphs has closed its store in El Cajon, CA on Second Street. The interior looks like it was remodeled within the past 3-4 years though a repaint and new sign sort of remodel and nothing drastic. I question why such improvements were made to a store that is now being closed.
krogerclerk
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Re: Ralphs Store Closed: El Cajon

Post by krogerclerk »

here's an article from March in the San Diego Reader regarding this store. From the details, I wonder if this store was an "orphan" for the last couple of years with the intention of being closed. The store had been seriously understaffed for quite some time.

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2010 ... ing-store/
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

It sounds like theft problems existed here; probably was getting a high enough customer count with a super low average sale per customer. Of course that low average sale per customer dictates low staffing levels since the dollars collected can't support much labor. Low margin sales were also probably likely worsening the matter. But still in that case why would they spend some money trying to remodel the store, and then operate it this way. http://www.mcauctionsonline.com/auction ... b=Pictures
krogerclerk
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by krogerclerk »

My guess is the lease expired and Ralphs/Kroger chose not to renew. Evidently the remodel didn't improve volume, and management was given the last 3 years to improve results. In photos, at least, the store doesn't look poorly stocked.

High theft seems to be a problem once a store becomes understaffed. Word seems to make it to the street that a particular store is an easy target because no one is available to actually watch the store. It goes back to the old adage that a friendly store is a safe store, as potential thieves don't like stores that have staff available to provide customer service.

I'm sure management had the ability to hire part-time staff that would have improved the stores service capacity. Low volume, high theft, indifferent management and employees can all lead to a vicious cycle that feeds upon itself. Low volume-slash staffing to cut costs which led to higher theft, indifference, and frustrated customers leaving the store, further lowering volume. The bad part is most full-time top pay clerks hide behind the union contract agreement, refusing to be reassigned to other responsibilities within the store or a nearby location so that wages could be reduced to help save the store. The same employees were probably the first ones to fill grievances with the union local every time a manager operated a checkout so they could claim management was taking clerk jobs.
klkla

Post by klkla »

Ralphs initially entered El Cajon when FedMart went out of business in the early 1980's. Ralphs took over some of the smaller FedMart JR stores and portions of many of the larger stores in the San Diego area (usually shared with Target). Does anyone know if this is the original FedMart JR location? On bing.com the shape of the building looks similar to FedMart JR and very unlike a new-build Ralphs although it appears to have been heavily remodeled inside and out.