Sizzler

Alpha8472

Sizzler

Post by Alpha8472 »

Sizzler is still around in some places, but in the past it seemed like it was successful.

There is a very interesting Sizzler commercial from the early 90s:

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/Rem ... 551536.php
bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Re: Sizzler

Post by bryceleinan »

My mom and I just ate at the Sizzler in Springfield, OR this past week... salad bar was somewhat different (more hot food) than other Sizzlers we have been to. There is only one left in our area (Sparks), and it's always a favorite.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Sizzler's long-time and historically stable Oregon franchisee went bust during COVID and all of the locations closed. It was interesting as Sizzler hung around in a lot of smaller OR communities way longer than it hung on in small communities elsewhere. You may have noticed Klamath Falls closed. I was surprised they didn't reopen it as it was one of the better places to go there (as far as chains go it was the best of the chains).

Back to recent events in OR, the then-bankrupt Sizzler Corporation (which I think since emerged) somehow figured out a way to reopen a few of the closed franchise Oregon locations after they had been closed, and Springfield was one of those locations.

There is also one corporate Sizzler in Sacramento proper. It has prices around $2 lower per item than the franchise Sizzlers elsewhere around Sacramento. There used to be other corporate ones around Sacramento, but they either closed or sold to franchisees.

I'm always satisfied with my visits to Sizzler. Not sure why the chain seems to be so unliked. Suggesting Sizzler to a group never gets a positive reaction.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: October 24th, 2021, 8:27 pm Sizzler's long-time and historically stable Oregon franchisee went bust during COVID and all of the locations closed. It was interesting as Sizzler hung around in a lot of smaller OR communities way longer than it hung on in small communities elsewhere. You may have noticed Klamath Falls closed. I was surprised they didn't reopen it as it was one of the better places to go there (as far as chains go it was the best of the chains).

Back to recent events in OR, the then-bankrupt Sizzler Corporation (which I think since emerged) somehow figured out a way to reopen a few of the closed franchise Oregon locations after they had been closed, and Springfield was one of those locations.

There is also one corporate Sizzler in Sacramento proper. It has prices around $2 lower per item than the franchise Sizzlers elsewhere around Sacramento. There used to be other corporate ones around Sacramento, but they either closed or sold to franchisees.

I'm always satisfied with my visits to Sizzler. Not sure why the chain seems to be so unliked. Suggesting Sizzler to a group never gets a positive reaction.
There is still a Sizzler open in Longview, WA. From what I understand, this is a one-location franchise. In the past this was a very well-run location, but seemed to be falling off in recent years, before Covid hit. I might go there next time I go out to eat...I am curious what if any changes were made to the salad bar and limited buffet they have. I still maintain that their buffet left a lot to be desired and never really cared for their buffet format, but some of their main menu can still be good, although it used to have a lot more to offer including more fresh seafood options. I will not pay extra for their buffet.

I think Sizzler is hit-or-miss depending on the location and franchise. I have been to a few that were downright terrible, but I generally have had good experiences there.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: October 25th, 2021, 11:00 am
There is still a Sizzler open in Longview, WA. From what I understand, this is a one-location franchise. In the past this was a very well-run location, but seemed to be falling off in recent years, before Covid hit. I might go there next time I go out to eat...I am curious what if any changes were made to the salad bar and limited buffet they have. I still maintain that their buffet left a lot to be desired and never really cared for their buffet format, but some of their main menu can still be good, although it used to have a lot more to offer including more fresh seafood options. I will not pay extra for their buffet.

I think Sizzler is hit-or-miss depending on the location and franchise. I have been to a few that were downright terrible, but I generally have had good experiences there.
Sizzler at face value puts out a good product. The burgers are surprisingly excellent; not sure if they grind up old steaks or what but they are a much better taste than other chain restaurants. Grilled chicken (have had a few variations over the years; lemon herb, italian, etc.)- again- really good. Steaks- lower end cuts are what they are- luck of the draw there. The salad bar for a basic cold salad works well. Move to some of the pasta salads, "desserts," the mystery taco meat tacos, and it seems the further you go from core meat, potato, and lettuce type items the worse it gets. I think their efforts to expand into the "buffet court" got them a bad reputation. That mystery taco meat is pretty bad stuff. I can see how that may be off putting even if someone had 5 other items that were good. Had they stayed basic it may have worked better for them. The salad bar is solid. The hot food bar is where it goes off the rails.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I have been to Sizzlers in a few States.

The biggest turn off for me was gristle and off color in their meats.

The burgers were usually good but the seafood unsettled my stomach.

I have not been there in decades so perhaps they have changed?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Sizzler always pushing "sirloin" steaks as the entry level option with very inconsistent quality. Some great, some with gristle, some tough, etc.

I don't think there is much seafood beyond fried (shrimp?) anymore.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

It's not just Sizzler. Copy cats like Ponderosa and Bonanza have sizzled (no pun intended) out -- from 300 to 600 locations (combined, depending on the source) to less than 20 today. Lots of reasons for their decline, including that their store fleet footprint is largely unchanged since the 1980s. Today's franchisees are going to seek a more modern, profitable concept; these concepts largely appeal toward value orientated consumers.

I enjoy Sizzler, and have eaten their regularly for 20 years. As recently as the mid-2010s, they regularly issued $5 coupons for 6 oz. sirloin and potato + a free beverage during the week. Can't beat that, especially when Outback charges $4 to a soda. I have absolutely nothing negative to say about the chain, although plenty of narratives say their food turned to garbage in the 1990s (before my time there).

I also love Black Angus -- always a great meal and great value, but it too is going the way of Sizzler..
Super S

Post by Super S »

Bagels wrote: November 9th, 2021, 3:35 am It's not just Sizzler. Copy cats like Ponderosa and Bonanza have sizzled (no pun intended) out -- from 300 to 600 locations (combined, depending on the source) to less than 20 today. Lots of reasons for their decline, including that their store fleet footprint is largely unchanged since the 1980s. Today's franchisees are going to seek a more modern, profitable concept; these concepts largely appeal toward value orientated consumers.

I enjoy Sizzler, and have eaten their regularly for 20 years. As recently as the mid-2010s, they regularly issued $5 coupons for 6 oz. sirloin and potato + a free beverage during the week. Can't beat that, especially when Outback charges $4 to a soda. I have absolutely nothing negative to say about the chain, although plenty of narratives say their food turned to garbage in the 1990s (before my time there).

I also love Black Angus -- always a great meal and great value, but it too is going the way of Sizzler..
When I lived in Boise, my family often ate at the Sizzler there, and this continued when my family moved to Washington. As I mentioned, the Longview location has been open since at least the mid-1980s. They often had fresh seafood on the menu...I have seen things like Trout, Walleye, Halibut, and Salmon on the menu. There was a different variety every time. That location used to be very busy (a couple times we had to wait for tables). More recently, it has had a handful of customers every time but you can tell it's not nearly as busy as it once was. The fresh seafood menu seems to have disappeared. But I think their food is still ok if you stick to the main menu...they often try to sell me the salad bar/buffet for extra, but I decline as I don't think it is worth the money and the quality of that aspect is mediocre at best.

Bonanza had a location in Boise in the 1980s (long gone, an Albertsons is there now) which had a similar menu and had a bigger than usual salad bar which seemed very similar to what Sizzler offered, but had better ingredients, and if I remember right it was included with the main menu items.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

At my local Sizzler, a 6 oz steak and potato went from $12.99 to $16.99 . The classic trio (steak, shrimp, Malibu chicken) went from 17.99 to 22.89.

I knew price hikes were coming, but I can get a much better meal for similar money at outback or Black Angus…