Rite Aid closing at least 63 stores

ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Rite Aid closing at least 63 stores

Post by ClownLoach »

reymann wrote: February 28th, 2024, 11:30 pm
ClownLoach wrote: February 28th, 2024, 11:38 am I increasingly suspect the liquidators looking for sign walkers are being lined up by a separate potential buyer. Either CVS or Walgreens.

This behavior is not typical of a bankruptcy ordered liquidation stemming from a liquidator bid. The liquidators don't like to spend their own money unless necessary. Hiring these sign people now indicates to me that they're using someone else's checkbook.

I think what we are going to see is either CVS or Walgreens make a bid for the California stores, or possibly all the West Coast (very likely if it is CVS) or the entire company if that's their only option. Their intent would be to immediately liquidate most of the stores and sell themselves all the files in an effort to boost their business significantly without taking on much more overhead. They would demand a court order to sever the lease within bankruptcy at no cost for any site they don't want to keep. They would keep only a select few stores (Mammoth Lake and Beverly Hills and West Hollywood for example), and I already suspect that many of the stores already closed were negotiated for by CVS with the involved landlords.

Then it will be up to the creditors to decide if they want to walk away and take the bid instead of taking ownership. It sounded like the stalking horse bid sets at $3.4B based on the value of the DIP and new credit line which effectively is the creditors "bid." So if CVS strutted in and said "We will give you $5 Billion for the whole enchilada, or $3B for just the West Coast" then they might be inclined to take it if it's a sizeable overpayment. It would be a big overpayment in the short term for CVS, but a long term investment in the business. They can't be told "no" here because it's a bankruptcy auction... Obviously if they had bid to buy the company outside of bankruptcy they would be turned down by the Justice Dept and FTC. This is their only chance to get these stores and I think they are going to make a run at it. There is no other legitimate reason for the liquidators to be doing this early unless they knew they had a guaranteed purchase, which they don't since the creditors bid. That tells me they're under contract with a outside buyer.

If it was just the liquidators making their usual and customary bid, they would wait until they heard they won the auction before they would start hiring and they generally use "labor ready" and other such options that provide people same or next day paid in cash which is legal in a bankruptcy. The hourly rate statements and such tell me that this is not a normal liquidator bid. They're working for CVS or Walgreens... They have to be.
if that bidder is CVS, i think they will use some of the rite aid drive thru stores to relocate from their larger legacy longs stores in california. i just hope that they get thwarted when it is all said and done.
If the creditors agree to a CVS buyout, instead of their own, nobody can stop it. It's a antitrust loophole.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: February 29th, 2024, 12:17 am

If the creditors agree to a CVS buyout, instead of their own, nobody can stop it. It's a antitrust loophole.
I hesitate to post this because I do not want to see it happen, but could they theoretically assign stores to the liquidators to liquidate the front ends (this move I would think maximizes profits vs. selling inventory to the competitor at a discount/at cost when half of the merchandise may not be in competitor's planograms...), then sell the pharmacy side to (competitor) and let (competitor) assume the leases (then competitor comes in and puts up their fixtures etc. and sets up shop)? All these renegotiated leases with new lower rents... are probably more valuable than the old leases they previously had were...

We have past history on how Walgreens handles a massive store count Rite Aid store purchase when they bought the various territories. They let the front end stay as is Rite Aid for as long as 3 years after assuming ownership, but quickly converted pharmacy to Walgreens systems/logistics/network. Those front ends continued with Rite Aid ads, loyalty, and mostly Rite Aid brand products but they did start to carry Walgreens seasonal merchandise instead of Rite Aid seasonal merchandise. Then, when they finally decided it was time to do a front end conversion (or close the store and move prescriptions to a nearby Walgreens), one of 2 things happened: conversion stores did a massive clearance with what felt like half of their items 25% to 75% off to get rid of Rite Aid carried items that Walgreens did not carry; closing stores did a formal liquidation sale but not with a liquidator but just like 25% off everything then 50% off everything then 75% off everything.

Not sure on CVS but watched CVS with Longs/Sav-On and they eventually did the remodels to the CVS format/merchandising and they threw the unwanted products to Big Lots. I do recall getting some clearance items at Sav-On really cheap after CVS took over and installed its cash registers (the Albertsons items no longer scanned) at one store location (this was the first store in the area to move to the CVS cash register, it wasn't long after they took over; other stores it took a couple months); but never saw deals like that at any other location, some OTC and vitamin items...
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: February 29th, 2024, 12:44 am

I hesitate to post this because I do not want to see it happen, but could they theoretically assign stores to the liquidators to liquidate the front ends (this move I would think maximizes profits vs. selling inventory to the competitor at a discount/at cost when half of the merchandise may not be in competitor's planograms...), then sell the pharmacy side to (competitor) and let (competitor) assume the leases (then competitor comes in and puts up their fixtures etc. and sets up shop)? All these renegotiated leases with new lower rents... are probably more valuable than the old leases they previously had were...

We have past history on how Walgreens handles a massive store count Rite Aid store purchase when they bought the various territories. They let the front end stay as is Rite Aid for as long as 3 years after assuming ownership, but quickly converted pharmacy to Walgreens systems/logistics/network. Those front ends continued with Rite Aid ads, loyalty, and mostly Rite Aid brand products but they did start to carry Walgreens seasonal merchandise instead of Rite Aid seasonal merchandise. Then, when they finally decided it was time to do a front end conversion (or close the store and move prescriptions to a nearby Walgreens), one of 2 things happened: conversion stores did a massive clearance with what felt like half of their items 25% to 75% off to get rid of Rite Aid carried items that Walgreens did not carry; closing stores did a formal liquidation sale but not with a liquidator but just like 25% off everything then 50% off everything then 75% off everything.

Not sure on CVS but watched CVS with Longs/Sav-On and they eventually did the remodels to the CVS format/merchandising and they threw the unwanted products to Big Lots. I do recall getting some clearance items at Sav-On really cheap after CVS took over and installed its cash registers (the Albertsons items no longer scanned) at one store location (this was the first store in the area to move to the CVS cash register, it wasn't long after they took over; other stores it took a couple months); but never saw deals like that at any other location, some OTC and vitamin items...
I'm not sure that CVS would take very many of the Rite Aid locations except for their very best and most productive sites. They do not want to increase their store count except in markets like the PNW, just push more volume thru the existing pipeline. I think their intent would be to submit a bid to buy and liquidate the company or division(s) with a request for the judge to reject all the leases except for the very few stores they may want. Then the landlord is basically forced to just deal with their presence, rent or no rent, on the sites being rejected as a store closing sale occurs. Since the eviction process takes longer than a liquidation sale usually what happens is the liquidator works out a deal with the landlord for a short term sublease.

This would also serve as the last and best opportunity for CVS to finally gain a decent foothold in Oregon and Washington. If they had half a brain they would look at how Longs was handled in Hawaii (relatively minimal change) versus California (butchered) as they absorb Bartell. They should not change the name, leave the general merchandise alone, and try to install a sense of calm and continuity after Rite Aid pissed off many customers by bungling the transition.

The opportunity to finally break into the PNW is why I think CVS is going to make a bid for the company.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

In my area if CVS takes RA it will be almost a monopoly.

Walgreens would work better since they have too many "Community" Walgreens around.
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

ClownLoach wrote: February 29th, 2024, 9:45 am

I'm not sure that CVS would take very many of the Rite Aid locations except for their very best and most productive sites. They do not want to increase their store count except in markets like the PNW, just push more volume thru the existing pipeline. I think their intent would be to submit a bid to buy and liquidate the company or division(s) with a request for the judge to reject all the leases except for the very few stores they may want. Then the landlord is basically forced to just deal with their presence, rent or no rent, on the sites being rejected as a store closing sale occurs. Since the eviction process takes longer than a liquidation sale usually what happens is the liquidator works out a deal with the landlord for a short term sublease.

This would also serve as the last and best opportunity for CVS to finally gain a decent foothold in Oregon and Washington. If they had half a brain they would look at how Longs was handled in Hawaii (relatively minimal change) versus California (butchered) as they absorb Bartell. They should not change the name, leave the general merchandise alone, and try to install a sense of calm and continuity after Rite Aid pissed off many customers by bungling the transition.

The opportunity to finally break into the PNW is why I think CVS is going to make a bid for the company.
the only rite aid stores CVS would keep open in california are drive thru strores where they can relocate from a legacy longs store. they have trouble enough keeping the legacy stores well stocked.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

reymann wrote: February 29th, 2024, 4:45 pm
ClownLoach wrote: February 29th, 2024, 9:45 am

the only rite aid stores CVS would keep open in california are drive thru strores where they can relocate from a legacy longs store. they have trouble enough keeping the legacy stores well stocked.
I no longer agree. It is very likely those old Longs locations are on better leases. The costs these days of construction for a relocation coupled with higher rents negate any benefit of moving to a drive thru. My experience the last decade at a different retailer with slightly larger stores is that it has become almost impossible to get a relocation approved because the overhead now is tripled versus just staying and renewing a existing lease then remodeling the existing store. If the lease is too high on the RA or construction costs too much for a remodel they would keep their own old store without a drive thru and close the newly acquired store with one.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

A docket notice today was filed to suspend/delay the auction indefinitely. No date is set at this time...

Waiting to see those Craigslist posts go away NOW.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

When I worked at CVS I realized how inefficient the CVS Drive-thru pharmacy experience was. It took more time to do a pharmacy transaction at Drive-thru than if it were done at the counter.

The walk in customers are prioritized. The Drive-thru customers are held in a queue. The speakers overhead announce "One drive thru customer."

As if you are going to ignore the huge line of walk up customers to serve the drive thru. You have to talk to the customer over a phone, send paper forms, pens, payment through the tube system, and then wait for the customer to respond.

In the time it takes to help one drive thru customer, you could have helped 5 or 6 walk in customers.

CVS has no shortage of customers. The chain is so overwhelmed with prescriptions to fill that turning away customers would actually let CVS fill prescriptions for regular customers who are already waiting days for their prescriptions.

CVS employees actually hope that time consuming Drive-thru customers would just go somewhere else. Time is money. You can make more money helping walk in customers that have easy prescriptions to pick up.
mburb1981
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by mburb1981 »

According to a Facebook post, Rite Aid is seeking "pre-approval" from the bankruptcy court to potentially close about another 195 locations, which would be as follows:,
229 Honesdale, PA
245 Hershey, PA
407 New Brunswick, NJ
652 Oneonta, NY
668 Ronkonkoma, NY
679 Upper Darby, PA
754 Butler, PA
856 Prospect Park, PA
994 Lake Hiawatha, NJ
1081 Drexel Hill, PA
1225 New York, NY
1295 Newport, NH
1433 Norwalk, OH
1451 Mahopec, NY
1563 Philadelphia, PA
1709 Scottdale, PA
1780 Windber, PA
2271 Manchester, PA
2352 Defiance, OH
2509 Warren, MI
2545 Washington, PA
3310 Derby, NH
3315 Marlette, MI
3620 Lancaster, PA
3663 Bronx, NY
3825 Philadelphia, PA
3857 Latrobe, PA
3865 Queens Village, NY
3870 Flushing, NY
3902 Virginia Beach, VA
3978 Brooklyn, NY
4250 Baltimore, MD
4305 Troy, MI
4368 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
4372 Milford, MI
4382 Midland, MI
4445 Allen Park, MI
4692 Chesapeake, VA
4695 Harrison Township, MI
4708 Waverly, OH
4746 Somerville, NJ
4876 Brooklyn, NY
4961 Pelham, NH
5180 Bothell, WA
5181 Mill Creek, WA
5186 Federal Way, WA
5187 Issaquah, WA
5197 Mercer Island, WA
5205 Woodinville, WA
5217 Seattle, WA
5225 Lake Forest Park, WA
5238 Bellingham, WA
5239 Bellingham, WA
5256 Milton, WA
5267 Bonney Lake, WA
5275 University Place, WA
5307 Spokane, WA
5313 Spokane, WA
5247 Oak Harbor, WA
5322 Beaverton, OR
5326 Clackamas, OR
5329 Lake Oswego, OR
5334 The Dalles, OR
5338 Hillsboro, OR
5351 Portland, OR
5354 Tigard, OR
5369 Lebanon, OR
5373 Eugene, OR
5390 Bend, OR
5408 Lewiston, ID
5413 Boise, ID
5425 Los Angeles, CA
5426 Los Angeles, CA
5430 Los Angeles, CA
5445 Los Angeles, CA
5450 Los Angeles, CA
5462 Beverly Hills, CA
5464 Culver City, CA
5476 Lynwood, CA
5480 Rolling Hills Estates, CA
5484 Venice, CA
5492 Torrance, CA
5494 Whittier, CA
5508 Bellflower, CA
5545 Chatsworth, CA
5551 San Fernando, CA
5567 Van Nuys, CA
5569 Sherman Oaks, CA
5576 Azusa, CA
5592 Hacienda Heights, CA
5597 Monterey Park, CA
5615 Chula Vista, CA
5627 Encinitas, CA
5646 San Diego, CA
5660 San Diego, CA
5668 San Diego, CA
5679 Desert Hot Springs, CA
5684 Palm Springs, CA
5694 Colton, CA
5696 Fontana, CA
5697 Hesperia, CA
5704 Menifee, CA
5712 Riverside, CA
5732 Brea, CA
5749 San Clemente, CA
5782 Port Hueneme, CA
5786 Simi Valley, CA
5811 Bakersfield, CA
5825 Arroyo Grande, CA
5832 Paso Robles, CA
5842 Mammoth Lakes, CA
5846 Rosamond, CA
5865 Fresno, CA
5885 Half Moon Bay, CA
5893 Redwood City, CA
5937 San Leandro, CA
5944 Pleasonton, CA
5957 San Rafael, CA
5958 San Rafael, CA
5959 Maera, CA
5965 Aptos, CA
5988 San Jose, CA
5992 San Jose, CA
5996 Stockton, CA
6023 Santa Rosa, CA
6031 Sebastopol, CA
6033 Ukiah, CA
6048 Davis, CA
6059 Rancho Cordova, CA
6084 Sacramento, CA
6086 Antelope, CA
6095 Redding, CA
6013 Mount Shasta, CA
6207 Corona Del Mar, CA
6214 Compton, CA
6235 Torrance, CA
6255 Pasadena, CA
6276 Hesperia, CA
6310 Salinas, CA
6327 Calabasas, CA
6338 Pomona, CA
6432 Elk Grove, CA
6482 Fontana, CA
6509 Lake Elsinore, CA
6520 Sacramento, CA
6561 Yucaipa, CA
6723 Woodlake, CA
6738 Hollidaysburg, PA
6768 McFarland, CA
6833 Winchester, CA
6928 Kirkland, WA (Bartell)
6939 Gig Harbor, WA (Bartell)
6947 Maple Valley, WA (Bartell)
6956 Seattle, WA (Bartell)
7861 Morgantown, PA
10269 Milford, NH
10273 Salem, NH
10284 Keene, NH
10297 Newmarket, NH
10369 Monroe, CT
10386 Fairfield, CT
10427 Blairstown, NJ
10432 Washington, NJ
10440 Laurel Springs, NJ
10496 Jackson, NJ
10509 Lavallette, NJ
10512 Toms River, NJ
10577 Brooklyn, NY
10584 Brooklyn, NY
10601 Woodside, NY
10648 Massapequa Park, NY
10687 Troy, NY
10790 Endwell, NY
10837 Amherst, NY
10842 Canandaigua, NY
10892 Bridgeville, PA
10924 Pittsburgh, PA
10969 North Huntingdon, PA
11009 Erie, PA
11024 Waynesboro, PA
11059 Lehighton, PA
11081 Luzerne, PA
11095 Souderton, PA
11106 Fairless Hills, PA
11114 Yardley, PA
11122 Wynnewood, PA
11124 Philadelphia, PA
11153 West Chester, PA
11154 West Chester, PA
11162 Lansdale, PA
11193 Rehoboth Beach, DE
11273 Virginia Beach, VA
About the Michigan locations:
  • Warren (14 and Mound) is at a low-key intersection about halfway between Oakland Mall and Van Dyke. 12 and Dequindre (still in Warren), 12 and Hoover (also still in Warren), and 15 and Dodge Park in Sterling Heights are the nearest remaining stores.
  • Marlette is a small-town store about right in the center of the Thumb, and the nearest stores are in towns a fair distance away (Sandusky, Caro and Imlay City).
  • Troy (Maple and Coolidge) is within one of the city's major retail areas, near the city's train station, a mile south of Somerset Collection, and a mile east of downtown Birmingham. This closure leaves Rite Aid with no presence left in Troy (where they had a few stores just a couple years ago), with the nearest stores in Berkley, Royal Oak, and Maple and Lahser in Bloomfield Hills.
  • Grosse Pointe Farms is a downtown store that has at least dated back to the Perry Drug days. This closure leaves Rite Aid with no presence left in the Grosse Pointes, and the nearest store is at Harper and Cadieux in Detroit.
  • Milford is located just north of downtown, at the curve just before the Prospect Hill Shopping Center. The nearest stores are in South Lyon and White Lake.
  • Midland is located on the Ashman Circle northeast of downtown and adjacent to one of the oldest operating Kroger stores in Michigan. This closure leaves Rite Aid with no presence left in Midland (where they had two stores less than a year ago), with the nearest stores in Bay City and Saginaw.
  • Allen Park is in a downtown strip mall in a space that originally housed Wrigley's, then Packer, then Chatham supermarkets before being sold to Perry in the 1980s. The nearest stores are in Wyandotte, Dearborn, and Vernor and Springwells in Detroit.
  • Harrison Township is a former Concord Drug deep within a residential area south of the Selfridge ANG Base halfway between I-94 and Lake Saint Clair. The nearest store is in nearby Mount Clemens.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

mburb1981 wrote: March 1st, 2024, 8:53 pm According to a Facebook post, Rite Aid is seeking "pre-approval" from the bankruptcy court to potentially close about another 195 locations, which would be as follows:,
229 Honesdale, PA
245 Hershey, PA
407 New Brunswick, NJ
652 Oneonta, NY
668 Ronkonkoma, NY
679 Upper Darby, PA
754 Butler, PA
856 Prospect Park, PA
994 Lake Hiawatha, NJ
1081 Drexel Hill, PA
1225 New York, NY
1295 Newport, NH
1433 Norwalk, OH
1451 Mahopec, NY
1563 Philadelphia, PA
1709 Scottdale, PA
1780 Windber, PA
2271 Manchester, PA
2352 Defiance, OH
2509 Warren, MI
2545 Washington, PA
3310 Derby, NH
3315 Marlette, MI
3620 Lancaster, PA
3663 Bronx, NY
3825 Philadelphia, PA
3857 Latrobe, PA
3865 Queens Village, NY
3870 Flushing, NY
3902 Virginia Beach, VA
3978 Brooklyn, NY
4250 Baltimore, MD
4305 Troy, MI
4368 Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
4372 Milford, MI
4382 Midland, MI
4445 Allen Park, MI
4692 Chesapeake, VA
4695 Harrison Township, MI
4708 Waverly, OH
4746 Somerville, NJ
4876 Brooklyn, NY
4961 Pelham, NH
5180 Bothell, WA
5181 Mill Creek, WA
5186 Federal Way, WA
5187 Issaquah, WA
5197 Mercer Island, WA
5205 Woodinville, WA
5217 Seattle, WA
5225 Lake Forest Park, WA
5238 Bellingham, WA
5239 Bellingham, WA
5256 Milton, WA
5267 Bonney Lake, WA
5275 University Place, WA
5307 Spokane, WA
5313 Spokane, WA
5247 Oak Harbor, WA
5322 Beaverton, OR
5326 Clackamas, OR
5329 Lake Oswego, OR
5334 The Dalles, OR
5338 Hillsboro, OR
5351 Portland, OR
5354 Tigard, OR
5369 Lebanon, OR
5373 Eugene, OR
5390 Bend, OR
5408 Lewiston, ID
5413 Boise, ID
5425 Los Angeles, CA
5426 Los Angeles, CA
5430 Los Angeles, CA
5445 Los Angeles, CA
5450 Los Angeles, CA
5462 Beverly Hills, CA
5464 Culver City, CA
5476 Lynwood, CA
5480 Rolling Hills Estates, CA
5484 Venice, CA
5492 Torrance, CA
5494 Whittier, CA
5508 Bellflower, CA
5545 Chatsworth, CA
5551 San Fernando, CA
5567 Van Nuys, CA
5569 Sherman Oaks, CA
5576 Azusa, CA
5592 Hacienda Heights, CA
5597 Monterey Park, CA
5615 Chula Vista, CA
5627 Encinitas, CA
5646 San Diego, CA
5660 San Diego, CA
5668 San Diego, CA
5679 Desert Hot Springs, CA
5684 Palm Springs, CA
5694 Colton, CA
5696 Fontana, CA
5697 Hesperia, CA
5704 Menifee, CA
5712 Riverside, CA
5732 Brea, CA
5749 San Clemente, CA
5782 Port Hueneme, CA
5786 Simi Valley, CA
5811 Bakersfield, CA
5825 Arroyo Grande, CA
5832 Paso Robles, CA
5842 Mammoth Lakes, CA
5846 Rosamond, CA
5865 Fresno, CA
5885 Half Moon Bay, CA
5893 Redwood City, CA
5937 San Leandro, CA
5944 Pleasonton, CA
5957 San Rafael, CA
5958 San Rafael, CA
5959 Maera, CA
5965 Aptos, CA
5988 San Jose, CA
5992 San Jose, CA
5996 Stockton, CA
6023 Santa Rosa, CA
6031 Sebastopol, CA
6033 Ukiah, CA
6048 Davis, CA
6059 Rancho Cordova, CA
6084 Sacramento, CA
6086 Antelope, CA
6095 Redding, CA
6013 Mount Shasta, CA
6207 Corona Del Mar, CA
6214 Compton, CA
6235 Torrance, CA
6255 Pasadena, CA
6276 Hesperia, CA
6310 Salinas, CA
6327 Calabasas, CA
6338 Pomona, CA
6432 Elk Grove, CA
6482 Fontana, CA
6509 Lake Elsinore, CA
6520 Sacramento, CA
6561 Yucaipa, CA
6723 Woodlake, CA
6738 Hollidaysburg, PA
6768 McFarland, CA
6833 Winchester, CA
6928 Kirkland, WA (Bartell)
6939 Gig Harbor, WA (Bartell)
6947 Maple Valley, WA (Bartell)
6956 Seattle, WA (Bartell)
7861 Morgantown, PA
10269 Milford, NH
10273 Salem, NH
10284 Keene, NH
10297 Newmarket, NH
10369 Monroe, CT
10386 Fairfield, CT
10427 Blairstown, NJ
10432 Washington, NJ
10440 Laurel Springs, NJ
10496 Jackson, NJ
10509 Lavallette, NJ
10512 Toms River, NJ
10577 Brooklyn, NY
10584 Brooklyn, NY
10601 Woodside, NY
10648 Massapequa Park, NY
10687 Troy, NY
10790 Endwell, NY
10837 Amherst, NY
10842 Canandaigua, NY
10892 Bridgeville, PA
10924 Pittsburgh, PA
10969 North Huntingdon, PA
11009 Erie, PA
11024 Waynesboro, PA
11059 Lehighton, PA
11081 Luzerne, PA
11095 Souderton, PA
11106 Fairless Hills, PA
11114 Yardley, PA
11122 Wynnewood, PA
11124 Philadelphia, PA
11153 West Chester, PA
11154 West Chester, PA
11162 Lansdale, PA
11193 Rehoboth Beach, DE
11273 Virginia Beach, VA
About the Michigan locations:
  • Warren (14 and Mound) is at a low-key intersection about halfway between Oakland Mall and Van Dyke. 12 and Dequindre (still in Warren), 12 and Hoover (also still in Warren), and 15 and Dodge Park in Sterling Heights are the nearest remaining stores.
  • Marlette is a small-town store about right in the center of the Thumb, and the nearest stores are in towns a fair distance away (Sandusky, Caro and Imlay City).
  • Troy (Maple and Coolidge) is within one of the city's major retail areas, near the city's train station, a mile south of Somerset Collection, and a mile east of downtown Birmingham. This closure leaves Rite Aid with no presence left in Troy (where they had a few stores just a couple years ago), with the nearest stores in Berkley, Royal Oak, and Maple and Lahser in Bloomfield Hills.
  • Grosse Pointe Farms is a downtown store that has at least dated back to the Perry Drug days. This closure leaves Rite Aid with no presence left in the Grosse Pointes, and the nearest store is at Harper and Cadieux in Detroit.
  • Milford is located just north of downtown, at the curve just before the Prospect Hill Shopping Center. The nearest stores are in South Lyon and White Lake.
  • Midland is located on the Ashman Circle northeast of downtown and adjacent to one of the oldest operating Kroger stores in Michigan. This closure leaves Rite Aid with no presence left in Midland (where they had two stores less than a year ago), with the nearest stores in Bay City and Saginaw.
  • Allen Park is in a downtown strip mall in a space that originally housed Wrigley's, then Packer, then Chatham supermarkets before being sold to Perry in the 1980s. The nearest stores are in Wyandotte, Dearborn, and Vernor and Springwells in Detroit.
  • Harrison Township is a former Concord Drug deep within a residential area south of the Selfridge ANG Base halfway between I-94 and Lake Saint Clair. The nearest store is in nearby Mount Clemens.
I'm going to make a guess that this is the list of non top tier volume stores where the landlords would not budge on concessions so they made the decision to pull the plug.

I notice the newest store in the company, the beleaguered Winchester store I've been making fun of since it opened, has made this closing list.

This really just puts them in most markets into a totally insignificant status. It looks like they will have one location left in my area (Wildomar) which is what I would call a C minus quality location standing alone with no co-tenants at the bottom of a cliff. I think if this list stands there will be another that follows which will just take them entirely out of certain markets completely like my area of SW Riverside County which ironically is the fastest growing area in SoCal and thus an area smart retailers would flock to and smart landlords would not give in to pressure. If this list is real then there are entire areas where they're just going to be the Kmart of drugstores.