Rite Aid closing at least 63 stores

babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Rite Aid closing at least 63 stores

Post by babs »

buckguy wrote: April 21st, 2024, 4:59 am They made some fundamentally bad decisions as they grew and this ultimately constrained their options. Thrifty-Payless was losing money.
Correction, Thrifty Payless was a profitable $5 billion company before the Rite Aid acquisition. Happy to share the history of that company but don't post that they were unprofitable.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Thrifty Payless was actually quite profitable. While it didn't have as good of performance as the old Longs chain did, it was absolutely profitable. However Rite Aid quickly made a lot of changes that definitely hurt the store performance some of which was quickly retracted when Bob Miller arrived as CEO.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

ClownLoach wrote: April 18th, 2024, 1:30 pm Some of the worst business failures have been chains that decided "no matter what" they were going to execute a chain wide remodel to make over their stores into something different and they bankrupted themselves due to unexpected sales impacts from the process.
To be honest, I'm having trouble even thinking of one. There have been some chains that remerchandised and that led to their demise as customers got turned off. Montgomery Ward and Service Merchandise both attempted big remodels at the very end of their lifespans but financially, they were on the ropes and in the bigger picture the remodels weren't what was the make or break issue.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

How can this chain survive with stores that look like this?

What is going on here?

These are busy stores. I went into a couple obviously not busy stores that did not quite look this bad.
Attachments
20240420_143154.jpg
20240420_143204.jpg
Last edited by storewanderer on April 25th, 2024, 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

A different location.

This is so unimaginably bad and disappointing.

I have never seen it get this bad on inventory for a typical food/drug chain before. I've seen one store independents who ran into disputes with wholesalers like this before...
Attachments
20240421_113037.jpg
20240421_112139.jpg
20240421_112048.jpg
20240421_112040.jpg
20240421_111958.jpg
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

I saw the same thing in the Portland market as well over the weekend. They look like they are out of business.
Retailuser
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Retailuser »

Wow.
As the store listing now says 1,687.
FrankMoore99
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by FrankMoore99 »

storewanderer wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 12:42 am How can this chain survive with stores that look like this?

What is going on here?

These are busy stores. I went into a couple obviously not busy stores that did not quite look this bad.
Those stores look like newer stores. This was a lot older store that is now closed, but when I went a few months ago, there were sections that were blocked off, and they had no Thrifty Ice Cream. Since it received no remodel and didn't have a Thrifty Ice Cream counter and low inventory and there is another Rite Aid in town that still operates and two other drug stores (CVS and Walgreens(which recently closed that location. Maybe an indicator that Rite Aid was the busier drug store.)) and a Walmart, Target, and Safeway with a pharmacy, why did Rite Aid keep operating it till January of this year and even received the new sign, while the location in Cameron Park that was brand new received nothing and closed two years earlier. That is surprising to see newer and busier stores struggle with this inventory. The stores look very nice inside, especially for a drug store. https://haydenbusinessblog.blogspot.com ... g-set.html
Last edited by FrankMoore99 on April 22nd, 2024, 9:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Are any of those stores that look so bad ones that were on the potential closings list but then they worked out with the landlord to keep them?

Thinking that the one in this area that has more of this issue (though it did have quite a bit of stuff in the seasonal section, so "new" stuff was obviously arriving now) was one of those that was in about the last or second to last list of settled leases, so possibly that they were sending less merchandise to those stores in case they did wind up closing them, and just haven't gotten "caught up" yet on stocking them in some sections?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: April 22nd, 2024, 9:48 am Are any of those stores that look so bad ones that were on the potential closings list but then they worked out with the landlord to keep them?

Thinking that the one in this area that has more of this issue (though it did have quite a bit of stuff in the seasonal section, so "new" stuff was obviously arriving now) was one of those that was in about the last or second to last list of settled leases, so possibly that they were sending less merchandise to those stores in case they did wind up closing them, and just haven't gotten "caught up" yet on stocking them in some sections?
I have photos of 2 or 3 other stores that look the same as the above... these seemed like BUSY stores.

I don't think this is like the stores that were getting shorted inventory back in October/November/December... this is really bad.