Target 2022

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Target 2022

Post by BillyGr »

ClownLoach wrote: April 21st, 2023, 9:57 am Several others coming in around 100K so probably existing building takeovers such as San Fernando, CA; Quincy, IL; Jamestown, NY; Lake Success, NY; Spanish Fork, UT; and Teays Valley, WV.

All the other remaining small and medium formats listed have been in the queue for some time now, so I'm guessing they are either already built or otherwise locked in at this point. The message is still clear: until now they were focused on trying to open 30-40 small formats a year, and low single digit counts of large format stores. The most recent large stores had all been converted Kmart and other buildings; very few full size new Target stores have been constructed from scratch in the last ten years or so. It sounds like they're realizing that they're better off operationally when they can build a store designed to meet their needs, instead of trying to make an existing building work as well as it can. No old Kmart or whatever else was built for the omnichannel uses Target needs, and it sounds like the cases where they're remodeling to try to meet these needs are failing dismally (like the stores with the rolling stockroom racking that only one employee can access at a time). Better off building new from here on out.
In some cases, it may be the lack of availability to put in larger stores that makes them use what is available.

That Lake Success one would be one that may be that - it's technically in Nassau County, but borders Queens, so either finding vacant land or getting permits to build may be an issue, where taking over an existing building not so much.

Jamestown is a much smaller town in southwestern NY, but they might have some type of local rules as well (never know where those will pop up).
Maybe they don't want new buildings larger than Lucy's museum (which is a couple of former 5/10 type stores in the main street)? ;)
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

BillyGr wrote: April 22nd, 2023, 8:38 am
ClownLoach wrote: April 21st, 2023, 9:57 am Several others coming in around 100K so probably existing building takeovers such as San Fernando, CA; Quincy, IL; Jamestown, NY; Lake Success, NY; Spanish Fork, UT; and Teays Valley, WV.

All the other remaining small and medium formats listed have been in the queue for some time now, so I'm guessing they are either already built or otherwise locked in at this point. The message is still clear: until now they were focused on trying to open 30-40 small formats a year, and low single digit counts of large format stores. The most recent large stores had all been converted Kmart and other buildings; very few full size new Target stores have been constructed from scratch in the last ten years or so. It sounds like they're realizing that they're better off operationally when they can build a store designed to meet their needs, instead of trying to make an existing building work as well as it can. No old Kmart or whatever else was built for the omnichannel uses Target needs, and it sounds like the cases where they're remodeling to try to meet these needs are failing dismally (like the stores with the rolling stockroom racking that only one employee can access at a time). Better off building new from here on out.
In some cases, it may be the lack of availability to put in larger stores that makes them use what is available.

That Lake Success one would be one that may be that - it's technically in Nassau County, but borders Queens, so either finding vacant land or getting permits to build may be an issue, where taking over an existing building not so much.

Jamestown is a much smaller town in southwestern NY, but they might have some type of local rules as well (never know where those will pop up).
Maybe they don't want new buildings larger than Lucy's museum (which is a couple of former 5/10 type stores in the main street)? ;)
Yes, and they're not all exactly 150K either, it's always plus or minus several thousand. The stores around 100K were already in the works too. It just appears that they're making good on their promises after opening the newest prototype; they said their focus moving forward is large stores that carry everything. That statement translated to the death of these small formats which have been so problematic. Interestingly enough they closed their Philadelphia small format (probably due to shrink) but they still have another one on the way. I'm guessing they were locked in and can't get out of the new location even though they already closed the other.

I wonder what this means for situations like downtown Portland where they basically killed the multi story CityTarget and moved everything down to the ground floor as a small format? If small format isn't going forward then I'm guessing we will see outright closures in the future of such stores where they would have previously downsized. Based on Portland I wonder about the Pike Place CityTarget store in Seattle. Apparently it is a theft magnet. Last time I was there the amount of locked down merchandise resembled a Walmart, and it was obvious that they have little in the way of sales of general merchandise. The layout is strange, foods and health are on smaller lower floors, then there is a large main floor with higher ceilings and lots of nice windows for the clothing and home departments. This particular floor seems to be their theft issue. They had locked restrooms and at one point a security guard at a podium monitoring the restroom doors. Closing it would be a high visibility failure for the company. With all the problems at the downtown LA location (7th/Figueroa) I would imagine that it could be on the chopping block too. They don't allow carts out of the building despite a long distance without elevators to the parking structure, they've had stabbings inside the store, lots of problems. Apparently it is completely locked down as well inside now.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Reno Target actually had 3 cashiers today, in addition to the 9 of the 12 self checkouts being open (I guess the other 3 were broken or something). Haven't seen this many cashiers in that store in quite some time. I guess they are trying to get better.

Clothing was a disaster area, stuff all over the floor as usual.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

ClownLoach wrote: April 18th, 2023, 10:53 pm
storewanderer wrote: April 17th, 2023, 11:44 pm Grass Valley is actually 90k square feet so I hesitate to call it small format. Kmart didn't feel quite that big to me.

There won't be any public announcement of slashing development of small format, but it will send shock waves through a lot of commercial developers who have sent a lot of tenants packing, including established grocers, in hopes of landing a small format Target. Joke is about to be on them.
To be clear the list was all stores, all formats. It just so happened that about 75% of them were small format which I define as anything 50K and below. At this point in time there are only 11 small format left in development, and of those only 6 are truly small (19K to 33K). There seem to be a ton of new 140K+ listings. No announcement needed; small format Target is dead and SuperTarget size buildings are their future again.

Yep the greedy landlords who were hoping for a high paying Target Express or Amazon Fresh are going to get exactly what they deserve as both concepts crash and burn.
The list must be pretty dynamic because I counted 13 small stores plus a number in the 60-80K range. The modal new store seems to hover around 90-110K and many of those seem to be existing suburban areas, which I assume are existing structures/sites. The truly large stores seem geographicallly targeted (forgive the pun) with so many in Texas.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I visited the the large store on Western and Sunset in East Hollywood CA.

Wonderful parking (90 minutes free with validation).

The store was packed with people loading up their carts and also many with hand baskets. 12 self checkouts all being used. 6 of the 12 regular checkstands operating with people in line, perhaps 5 to 6 deep.

Surprisingly many employees on the floor! Great presentations and good variety throughout the store. Of course the typical SuperTarget large grocery area. It was generally in good shape with just a couple of troubled areas. Target is not known for even average variety in the grocery offerings. Many facings for one product and flavor.

Overall, the best Target I have seen in my general area (I would not shop there because it is too far with too much traffic to make it worth while).

It seems strange to me that the store is located in such a lousy neigborhood where a Wal Mart would make more sense.

In the upper scale neighborhoods we are stuck with small stores and lousy variety with comical little PFresh offerings.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

veteran+ wrote: April 23rd, 2023, 8:22 am I visited the the large store on Western and Sunset in East Hollywood CA....It seems strange to me that the store is located in such a lousy neigborhood where a Wal Mart would make more sense.

In the upper scale neighborhoods we are stuck with small stores and lousy variety with comical little PFresh offerings.
Isn't this the store where construction was halted because the development violated zoning rules? If so and I recall correctly the store is part of a development intended to revitalize (i.e. gentrification kickstart) the area.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Yes it is according to Clown :)
BatteryMill
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by BatteryMill »

veteran+ wrote: April 23rd, 2023, 8:22 am I visited the the large store on Western and Sunset in East Hollywood CA.

The store was packed with people loading up their carts and also many with hand baskets. 12 self checkouts all being used. 6 of the 12 regular checkstands operating with people in line, perhaps 5 to 6 deep.

Surprisingly many employees on the floor! Great presentations and good variety throughout the store. Of course the typical SuperTarget large grocery area. It was generally in good shape with just a couple of troubled areas. Target is not known for even average variety in the grocery offerings. Many facings for one product and flavor.

Overall, the best Target I have seen in my general area (I would not shop there because it is too far with too much traffic to make it worth while).

It seems strange to me that the store is located in such a lousy neigborhood where a Wal Mart would make more sense.

Does it really count as SuperTarget? I don't think there are any in the immediate Los Angeles area.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

BatteryMill wrote: April 23rd, 2023, 11:06 am
veteran+ wrote: April 23rd, 2023, 8:22 am I visited the the large store on Western and Sunset in East Hollywood CA.

Does it really count as SuperTarget? I don't think there are any in the immediate Los Angeles area.
It was planned as a SuperTarget. I believe Clown did some research on it.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

rwsandiego wrote: April 23rd, 2023, 9:10 am
veteran+ wrote: April 23rd, 2023, 8:22 am I visited the the large store on Western and Sunset in East Hollywood CA....It seems strange to me that the store is located in such a lousy neigborhood where a Wal Mart would make more sense.

Isn't this the store where construction was halted because the development violated zoning rules? If so and I recall correctly the store is part of a development intended to revitalize (i.e. gentrification kickstart) the area.
Basically it sat in court for over a decade, became a social media phenomenon called the "Target Husk" or some such nonsense. Basically someone sued claiming it was too high per zoning regulations. Which it was... But the City had approved a zoning variance. So it basically was a "but can they approve such a variance?" type of lawsuit that just drags on and on and on.

Having dealt with a family situation recently, it seems that any legal matters regarding real estate in general seem to be the absolute lowest possible priority for the courts and they drag on for years even in the simplest of cases. Matters that could be fully resolved in a five minute conversation with the judge get broken into dozens of individual steps which each require a separate hearing. I think if they streamlined the processes they wouldn't need 90% of the judges or court staff so they draw everything out in an effort to create work for themselves. Before our trial I listened to about a dozen other cases and all I can say is that I couldn't possibly be a lawyer in that industry because I would probably fall asleep in the courtroom. These were all the most simplistic matters, completely boring disputes about things like easements for overhead telephone lines and how many inches they can hang above the sidewalk because the homeowner wants to expand and thinks the phone lines that were placed 50 years before he bought his house hang too low and they will block his view. Never mind the fact a phone pole is on the corner of his lot. Purely obnoxious suits and discussions.

I found an article that stated the legal paperwork referred to this as "Super Target". It was apparent the author had never seen or heard of such a store. The article also speaks to the lawyers who filed the case.

https://www.curbed.com/2020/10/target-l ... -open.html