Family Dollar Distro Center Rodent Infestation- products recalled - FDA

veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Family Dollar Distro Center Rodent Infestation- products recalled - FDA

Post by veteran+ »

This infestation problem is getting worse by the day as more detailed reporting is revealed.

Simply, WOW!
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: February 27th, 2022, 9:20 am This infestation problem is getting worse by the day as more detailed reporting is revealed.

Simply, WOW!
Doesn't seem to be impacting the stock price of Dollar Tree at all. I am surprised- lost revenue from 400 stores, cost of cleaning it up, disposing of a ton of inventory, cost of the refunds (if they ever open back up to let people return stuff), reputational loss...

Dollar General is hopefully double checking what is going on around their warehouses and stores to ensure something like this NEVER happens to them.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

storewanderer wrote: February 20th, 2022, 10:35 am I wonder who finally got them into trouble. Maybe a few hundred employee complaints to OSHA or something. But that would be state OSHA. Federal OSHA was screwing around with other things but still think this would be a State OSHA issue initially. So things got out of hand with this issue. Rodent feces from certain rodents can be deadly if disturbed (like, stepping on it; picking up a box that had the deadly Hantavirus infested feces on it and then that feces becoming airborne - you are screwed). If this distribution center had a mask requirement for the employees it may very well have saved a lot of their lives. Hantavirus is a big deal around Lake Tahoe. Anytime you work in an area that may have rodent feces you need a mask.
As I understood it, several disgruntled employees ratted them out. (pun intended)

I live within the 400 store region. All of my local stores are operating with limited hours (still) and have large dumpsters outside for the discarded product. It just strengthened my resolve not to buy food there.

But then again, I live in Louisiana. If you have to know what is in most food here, you probably wouldn't eat it.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Hantavirus is present even in Northern California. Some of my friends were cleaning up some old houses and one friend caught hantavirus. He was hospitalized and nearly died. It came just from the rat droppings.

I am surprised that the company was so cheap that they could not even pay for an exterminator. Now they are losing much more money from all of the contaminated items that they have to throw out or refund.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

They are closing this distribution center.

Not sure how they plan to supply the 400 stores it supplied...?

This is either a very reactionary move or the facility is so contaminated the only option is to demolish it.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: May 19th, 2022, 11:42 pm They are closing this distribution center.

This is either a very reactionary move or the facility is so contaminated the only option is to demolish it.
However they have been doing it already since March, probably.

Likely realized that if they could do without it for 2+ months, no need to bring it back at all.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

They found 1,100 dead rodents, dead birds, and bird droppings. The facility was so full of holes that it would cost too much to seal it off to rodents and birds. The cost was too much. It probably was best to demolish it. The company just does not want to build another facility.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: May 20th, 2022, 1:29 pm
storewanderer wrote: May 19th, 2022, 11:42 pm They are closing this distribution center.

However they have been doing it already since March, probably.

Likely realized that if they could do without it for 2+ months, no need to bring it back at all.
The stores have been closed since March... I don't even know if they've reopened...
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

storewanderer wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 7:07 pm The stores have been closed since March... I don't even know if they've reopened...
The stores reopened. They are not well stocked, but open.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

wnetmacman wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 7:21 pm
storewanderer wrote: May 22nd, 2022, 7:07 pm The stores have been closed since March... I don't even know if they've reopened...
The stores reopened. They are not well stocked, but open.
It will be interesting to see how they do in that region going forward. In the places where they are the only basic option I'm sure they will recover but where there are other choices I think they will not recover their business.