Cocos and carrows

Retailuser
Cashier
Cashier

Cocos and carrows

Post by Retailuser »

What happened to these chains?
It seems like the number of stores has plummeted it was 200+ per restaurant in the year 2000 and there are only 4 carrows and a rough 30 cocos left ( 29 if wikipedia is correct) today?
Does anyone know what happened to these chains?
bryceleinan
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Re: Cocos and carrows

Post by bryceleinan »

Shari's out of Oregon purchased them a couple years ago.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

In April 2015, Food Management took over the parent company of Carrow's and Coco's. On the first official day of ownership, 75 of their restaurants were closed. That was nearly half of their restaurants. Almost 3,000 enployees lost their jobs. Those with company cars were told to find another way home.

To this day, there is a Coco's in Dublin, California that stands empty. The restaurant still has the sign up and someone still tends to the lawn and landscaping.

Black Bear Diner or IHOP has taken over some of these locations. Black Bear Diner was very popular back then.
norcalriteaidclerk
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by norcalriteaidclerk »

Alpha8472 wrote: March 2nd, 2022, 2:53 pm In April 2015, Food Management took over the parent company of Carrow's and Coco's. On the first official day of ownership, 75 of their restaurants were closed. That was nearly half of their restaurants. Almost 3,000 enployees lost their jobs. Those with company cars were told to find another way home.

To this day, there is a Coco's in Dublin, California that stands empty. The restaurant still has the sign up and someone still tends to the lawn and landscaping.

Black Bear Diner or IHOP has taken over some of these locations. Black Bear Diner was very popular back then.
The Point West location opposite Arden Fair is indeed one of those that have been converted to Black Bear Diner.The last local Coco's in Sunrise Village(7887 Madison in Citrus Heights)closed in August or September of 2019(a year after the Shari's takeover but before the initial COVID-19 cases in Wuhan),the building was razed for a multitenant building to be subdivided between Starbucks and Firehouse subs(with an intermediary third space).The lone local presence of the namesake Shari's Cafe and Pies chain is in Lakecrest Village in Greenhaven(the Rite Aid in that center was originally Pay-n-save before a lengthy stint as PayLess,while the current Nugget Market was initially Safeway then Lucky,Price Advantage,and Super Saver in that order;Nugget had previously been located in an old Alpha Beta at Florin/Riverside).The CH Black Bear Diner is part of a Smart and Final anchored center built around 2017 on the site of a former Capital Nursery location.
For your life,Thrifty and Payless have got it.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Retailuser wrote: March 1st, 2022, 9:12 pm What happened to these chains?
It seems like the number of stores has plummeted it was 200+ per restaurant in the year 2000 and there are only 4 carrows and a rough 30 cocos left ( 29 if wikipedia is correct) today?
Does anyone know what happened to these chains?
Funny you should ask, as there is one down the street from my home.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

bryceleinan wrote: March 2nd, 2022, 2:18 pm Shari's out of Oregon purchased them a couple years ago.
Shari's moved much of their corporate offices to Dallas, TX. Makes me wonder how often anyone at corporate visits a Shari's.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: March 3rd, 2022, 4:11 pm
bryceleinan wrote: March 2nd, 2022, 2:18 pm Shari's out of Oregon purchased them a couple years ago.
Shari's moved much of their corporate offices to Dallas, TX. Makes me wonder how often anyone at corporate visits a Shari's.
Based on what I've heard about the food at Shari's, I suspect not very often. The Shari's in Sacramento was/is charging a 2 percent credit card surcharge. Maybe that was just a special gift for CA. Just increase the menu prices... Are some Shari's franchises?
Retailuser
Cashier
Cashier

Post by Retailuser »

With all of that said can someone confirm that the locations listed on the website are actually open? Or are they playing the sears game and listing locations that are no longer open? Thanks
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

storewanderer wrote: March 3rd, 2022, 5:43 pm
babs wrote: March 3rd, 2022, 4:11 pm
Based on what I've heard about the food at Shari's, I suspect not very often. The Shari's in Sacramento was/is charging a 2 percent credit card surcharge. Maybe that was just a special gift for CA. Just increase the menu prices... Are some Shari's franchises?
I hadn't realized Shari's abandoned Beaverton's business parks. Pity.
Also, to answer your question, storewanderer, that would appear to be a "California gift." Geez, just rebrand it as Coco's and charge different prices. :roll:

Locally, Coco's items are available from a particular Shari's location as a ghost kitchen through Door Dash.
Retailuser
Cashier
Cashier

Post by Retailuser »

California gift?
There locations in my state of arizona.