Sprouts Closing 2 San Francisco Bay Area Stores

California. No non-grocery posts.
Alpha8472

Sprouts Closing 2 San Francisco Bay Area Stores

Post by Alpha8472 »

I am wondering why Sprouts would close down these two stores. These are good neighborhoods with lots of upper middle class people nearby. Why aren't they closing down the one in Oakland?

Mountain View is very close to the rich tech workers at Apple and other tech companies.

Sprouts has increased prices and is suffering from many out of stock items. They have cut staffing and now have self checkouts. You might only find one cashier.
storewanderer

Re: Sprouts Closing 2 San Francisco Bay Area Stores

Post by storewanderer »

Sprouts is a lousy place to shop. Their prices are way too high for the low quality fresh goods they offer. I have come to really dislike Sprouts. As in I think it is one of the worst stores around at the present time with how it is being merchandised and priced.

My guess is these bay area Sprouts built a customer base up 10 years ago who got hooked in for cheap produce and below cost meat and as Sprouts eliminated those cheap produce and below cost meat weekly promotions those customers realized they could just get better quality produce and better deals at one of the 5 Safeways they had to drive past to get to Sprouts.

Also at this point I'm not even sure how much cheaper Sprouts is than Whole Foods.

It would be nice to see a different company try this format after Sprouts took out Henry's and Sunflower both of which were always superior to Sprouts but compared to the present day Sprouts those two chains were light years ahead on quality and price.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

Alpha8472 wrote: May 19th, 2022, 6:46 pm I am wondering why Sprouts would close down these two stores. These are good neighborhoods with lots of upper middle class people nearby. Why aren't they closing down the one in Oakland?

Mountain View is very close to the rich tech workers at Apple and other tech companies.

Sprouts has increased prices and is suffering from many out of stock items. They have cut staffing and now have self checkouts. You might only find one cashier.
I don't see a mention of Sprouts closing in Oakland. They are closing Fremont and Mountain View.
https://www.siliconvalley.com/2022/05/1 ... rmanently/
https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/Bay ... 184727.php
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The Oakland store probably does good business still. The people in that area have very few supermarkets to choose from. The area is dominated by high priced Safeway and few other low priced options.