Instacart

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Instacart

Post by storewanderer »

How does Instacart work? I notice in my area, if you Instacart from Smiths, Smart & Final, Save Mart, Raleys, or Food Maxx, the prices on Instacart match the prices in the store.

Conversely if you Instacart from Safeway, the prices are DRASTICALLY (20% on many items) higher than the in-store price. These stores already have higher prices than the other stores above and comparing them on Instacart is downright ugly.

This is spelled out right up front. Every other store it says in-store pricing. For Safeway it says "view pricing policy" and you get this:
"Safeway

Groceries · Bakery · Deli

Info
Delivery times

Pricing

Higher than in-store prices

Item prices are higher than in-store prices in your area. Clearance, single-store and in-store only specials, prices, promotions, offers, coupons and discounts may not apply.

Add the phone number associated with your Safeway for U™ account to your Instacart account to earn points redeemable towards Grocery Rewards for future purchases. You may sign up for a Safeway for U™ account here."

Why would anyone use Safeway on Instacart given the pricing?
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Instacart

Post by SamSpade »

Safeway is hoping for people to enroll in FreshPassTM or use Safeway.com delivery options? They partner with DoorDash in areas where Safeway does not do their own home delivery and it's seemed to work out fine. I've delivered to a family member that needed some things, including an affordable floral arrangement. This also utilizes Albertsons Co's "Click and Carry" employee labor rather than an Instacart shopper.