Pleasanton Lucky

California. No non-grocery posts.
lake52
Cashier
Cashier

Pleasanton Lucky

Post by lake52 »

I had not been to the Las Positas Lucky in a few years, but visited it recently. The remodel they did on that store is extraordinary. It has a completely new layout and exterior and has all the bells and whistles. It also blows the Lucky Dublin or Redding Save Mart(both new build stores) out of the water. There are quite a few photos on Google Maps of it but features include,

Cooking Demo Kitchen ala Aprons at Publix
Walk-in beer and wine cooler
Full bar and restaurant
Upgraded bakery, deli, hot foods
Among other unique items

I am very surprised this didn’t get more publicity as the store has been open for about a year. The company has a very bright future if this is the way they’re going to construct these stores in high wealth areas.

Also I wonder if it was intentional to remodel the store so close to the Safeway district office? The store never struck me as super high volume, but it certainly sustained itself.
storewanderer

Re: Pleasanton Lucky

Post by storewanderer »

lake52 wrote: August 18th, 2022, 6:34 pm I had not been to the Las Positas Lucky in a few years, but visited it recently. The remodel they did on that store is extraordinary. It has a completely new layout and exterior and has all the bells and whistles. It also blows the Lucky Dublin or Redding Save Mart(both new build stores) out of the water. There are quite a few photos on Google Maps of it but features include,

Cooking Demo Kitchen ala Aprons at Publix
Walk-in beer and wine cooler
Full bar and restaurant
Upgraded bakery, deli, hot foods
Among other unique items

I am very surprised this didn’t get more publicity as the store has been open for about a year. The company has a very bright future if this is the way they’re going to construct these stores in high wealth areas.

Also I wonder if it was intentional to remodel the store so close to the Safeway district office? The store never struck me as super high volume, but it certainly sustained itself.
They consider this to be their flagship store. I think it has been about a year and a half.

I'm not sure they have many existing stores in high wealth areas either... seems like Raleys is the one who has a good corner on that type of thing.

Also how was traffic? I have heard traffic isn't much better than it was before the remodel...

Save Mart has done so many low budget remodels it will be interesting to see if they go in and do more "better" remodels like this one, or ones like Oakdale and Ceres, on some of the better stores. Los Altos and Foster City strike me as stores that could be quite ripe for this type of format. But when I think of a lot of other Lucky locations, like, you know, Antioch, Oakley, Vacaville, Concord, the ones around Fremont, hard pass on an upscale format on any of those. They may be better off trying to open new stores entirely if they can duplicate this format profitably across more locations (questionable).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

lake52- what are your thoughts on the future of this concept given the management changes at Save Mart? Check out their website leadership page... some big changes there. The old CEO Chris is even gone now.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I visited this store today. It looks like a totally different store than before from the outside to the inside. They have many higher end items such as a dry aged beef display, fill your own container of olive oil, beverage bar with alcohol and espresso, outdoor cafe seating, expanded bakery items, etc.

The remodeled pharmacy looked great with the neon and glass windows. This pharmacy put up a sign saying prescriptions will be transferred to Walgreen September 1.

The front of the store was modified extensively with lots of new tall windows to let in natural light. Supermarkets need to have windows inside so that people can see inside.

I was quite impressed. I also noticed a new Shell gas station and 7-Eleven under construction across the street. I am quite impressed with the new 7-Eleven design. It looks really great.

storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Do the high end items appear to be moving?

Given this prototype was the brainchild of a management team that has, at this point, largely departed the scene, it will be interesting to see what the future holds for them.

I think they should move Lucky back to the other red Lucky logo though, at all locations. Doubt they will. But... they should.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

storewanderer wrote: August 25th, 2022, 10:16 pm
I think they should move Lucky back to the other red Lucky logo though, at all locations. Doubt they will. But... they should.
Agreed, and they should move back to the old Save Mart and Food Maxx logos too. They changed all 3 at the same time, and I don't like any of them. Maybe the Save Mart one is okay, the lowercase "food maxx" is meh. The new Lucky California logo is terrible. Anyone know if they have to pay Albertsons for the rights to the name on an ongoing basis?
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: August 25th, 2022, 10:31 pm

Agreed, and they should move back to the old Save Mart and Food Maxx logos too. They changed all 3 at the same time, and I don't like any of them. Maybe the Save Mart one is okay, the lowercase "food maxx" is meh. The new Lucky California logo is terrible. Anyone know if they have to pay Albertsons for the rights to the name on an ongoing basis?
I don't think they have to "pay" Albertsons anything but have rights to the name in their markets.

A logo change was pointless as Food Maxx as a rock bottom price store wasting money on new logos sends the wrong message to customers. But they seem to have put that logo up on every single Food Maxx I've seen in recent years. At this point, how many Food Maxx Stores still have the old logo on the signs? I'd say at this point Food Maxx might be the only banner that has fully transitioned to the new logo. So maybe it just needs to stay there since it is already, all the way there?

There are still a lot of Lucky and Save Mart locations with the old logos, probably the majority of the locations actually. I'd continue to move Save Mart to the new logo as they remodel stores. The store remodels are very important to helping the Save Mart banner stores.

I'd move all of Lucky to the old logo immediately. If they want to rebrand the remodeled stores with this "California" tagline (they should scrap it, reminds me of the failed Mervyns chain), they could integrate that in with the red script logo to signify a remodeled store.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Business at this remodeled store has gone up. The expensive items do sell, but not selling as great as a Whole Foods where people spend tons of money on expensive items.

This neighborhood is upper middle class to rich. There are plenty of well to do people and this store does attract a higher income type of customer now.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: August 27th, 2022, 8:30 pm Business at this remodeled store has gone up. The expensive items do sell, but not selling as great as a Whole Foods where people spend tons of money on expensive items.

This neighborhood is upper middle class to rich. There are plenty of well to do people and this store does attract a higher income type of customer now.
Any idea where they took the customers from? The Safeways in the area are so high volume, they really don't even need to pick off that many customers from Safeway to have a viable store...
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

Alpha8472 wrote: August 25th, 2022, 5:08 am
The remodeled pharmacy looked great with the neon and glass windows. This pharmacy put up a sign saying prescriptions will be transferred to Walgreen September 1.
So they remodeled the Pharmacy only to close it? :lol: