Walmart Restrooms Closed, Porta Potties Brought In

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
storewanderer

Re: Walmart Restrooms Closed, Porta Potties Brought In

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: September 11th, 2022, 8:44 pm Luckily, there were handicapped super-sized Porta-potties out front. They were big enough for wheelchairs. There were multiple sinks with plenty of water. It was decent.

CVS and Walgreens are notorious for closing their restrooms to the public in the San Francisco Bay Area. CVS and Walgreens often say restrooms are closed at night. Sometimes they claim that they are out of order all day. It is obvious that employees are using them.

I think it might be necessary to have restrooms with doors on the outside of the building. That way there is no way to use them for shoplifting. That will reduce all of the packaging being flushed down the toilets.
Walgreens has had locked restrooms with keypads and "restroom hours" on two central Reno Stores basically ever since they opened but stores just a few miles away in other parts of town have restrooms wide open/no way for the store to even physically lock them. Some CVS in Reno say they have no public restroom, others have the restrooms fully accessible. Some odd CVS like the one in Fallon, NV have a locked restroom and you have to go see pharmacy for restroom key (awful use of pharmacy staff's time and nowhere else in Fallon has a locked restroom). Longs required the restrooms to be unlocked and accessible to customers at all times and if they had them in the back room they had signs leading the customer to them (or even tape/footprints on the floor). It seems when CVS took Longs over they gave the option for restrooms to be locked up and many locations decided to go ahead and lock them up.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

Remember when gas stations locked their rest room doors and you had to get the key from the attendant? We may have to go back to that again.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

jamcool wrote: September 12th, 2022, 12:07 am Remember when gas stations locked their rest room doors and you had to get the key from the attendant? We may have to go back to that again.
That is still somewhat common. In Reno, the 7-Eleven sites usually have no restroom at all. The few that do they unlock it. Some Jacksons locations have a locked restroom- basically at a location that only has one clerk on duty, they lock the restrooms, as a safety precaution so the employee is always aware if someone is in the restroom. The Jacksons have a key attached to a big stick and you go get it to access the restroom. Seems to only be the locations closer to the middle of Reno with this restroom key thing. I was surprised though one Jacksons on Stead Blvd. in Reno had locked restrooms under the previous two ownerships (Winners Corner and Terrible Herbst) and Jacksons kept that; then they did a major renovation to the store and built new restrooms and left them unlocked. I was there recently and noticed they have locks on the new restrooms now. Most of the newer Maveriks that have been built do not even have doors on the restrooms similar set up to the Wal Marts. The Maveriks being built in CA are being built with doors to the restrooms for some reason.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

Is the store being renovated? Walmart is replacing the bathrooms in many of the stores it’s renovating, which requires it to rent portable bathrooms for use during the process. They’ve done this to several stores near me… one had old soiled toilets on display in shopping carts in front of the bathrooms under remodel. Appetizing!
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: September 12th, 2022, 12:37 am Is the store being renovated? Walmart is replacing the bathrooms in many of the stores it’s renovating, which requires it to rent portable bathrooms for use during the process. They’ve done this to several stores near me… one had old soiled toilets on display in shopping carts in front of the bathrooms under remodel. Appetizing!
The remodeling Wal Marts in Sparks and Carson City remodeled the front restrooms first, then had the back restrooms open during that time. Then they remodeled the back restrooms, and had the front restrooms open during that time. I was in both stores during the time they were demolishing the front restrooms. Using self checkout running fairly large number of items through them due to all the clearancing. During the remodel, they sealed off the space with a wood board but had major equipment in there breaking the tile up and the noise and rattling was major. I was thinking how gross it would be to be in there destroying that tile and wondered if they were in a hazmat suit or something.
lake52
Cashier
Cashier

Post by lake52 »

Bagels wrote: September 12th, 2022, 12:37 am Is the store being renovated? Walmart is replacing the bathrooms in many of the stores it’s renovating, which requires it to rent portable bathrooms for use during the process. They’ve done this to several stores near me… one had old soiled toilets on display in shopping carts in front of the bathrooms under remodel. Appetizing!
This is the correct answer, Walmart recently had a similar setup at the Pleasanton Supercenter down the road from this San Ramon store. They were in the process of remodeling the restrooms.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

lake52 wrote: September 12th, 2022, 3:14 pm
This is the correct answer, Walmart recently had a similar setup at the Pleasanton Supercenter down the road from this San Ramon store. They were in the process of remodeling the restrooms.
Wal Mart should consider expanding the "front" restrooms which seem very well used, and then making the larger/nicer "back" restrooms employee access only. The "front" restrooms seem to be more heavily used anyway. I wonder which restrooms more theft takes place from. Back in the old days when the back restrooms had a layaway counter there, it was not unusual for there to be customers and/or employees there passively having a sight over the restroom traffic. Now that little alcove is a dead zone as far as employees go, save for employees quickly moving pallets in and out of the stockroom. Also I notice some Wal Marts have a "family restroom" (single unisex restroom) there at the back/layaway. I have observed many, many open packages in those single unisex restrooms.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The Walmart in Pleasanton is not a Supercenter and the manager of the store was fired a short time ago. The store has been suffering from a lack of sales. It is a ghost town with very few customers and tons of out of stock items. The manager could not handle his store and they got rid of him. The store might have 1 cashier at night or it might be totally self checkout only.

This store suffered when they opened two Walmart Neighborhood Markets nearby. Those 2 locations drained many of the customers and left the big Walmart with very low sales. Even the McDonald's inside of this Walmart shut down a short time ago. Sales were terrible at that location.

Costco is building a new store very close to the Walmart. I believe that this Walmart is going to close as soon as Costco opens. The two Neighborhood Market stores do not do that much business either.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Alpha8472 wrote: September 13th, 2022, 12:08 am The Walmart in Pleasanton is not a Supercenter and the manager of the store was fired a short time ago. The store has been suffering from a lack of sales. It is a ghost town with very few customers and tons of out of stock items. The manager could not handle his store and they got rid of him. The store might have 1 cashier at night or it might be totally self checkout only.

This store suffered when they opened two Walmart Neighborhood Markets nearby. Those 2 locations drained many of the customers and left the big Walmart with very low sales. Even the McDonald's inside of this Walmart shut down a short time ago. Sales were terrible at that location.

Costco is building a new store very close to the Walmart. I believe that this Walmart is going to close as soon as Costco opens. The two Neighborhood Market stores do not do that much business either.
Always Good news to hear Bad news about Walmart.

;)
timanny
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by timanny »

Alpha8472 wrote: September 13th, 2022, 12:08 am The Walmart in Pleasanton is not a Supercenter and the manager of the store was fired a short time ago. The store has been suffering from a lack of sales. It is a ghost town with very few customers and tons of out of stock items. The manager could not handle his store and they got rid of him. The store might have 1 cashier at night or it might be totally self checkout only.

It's Pleasanton. I don't think they're too keen on Walmart there. Those who really want to shop Walmart can head to the Livermore store 10 minutes away.