LOI signed for new Albertsons in Ardmore, OK

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: LOI signed for new Albertsons in Ardmore, OK

Post by wnetmacman »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: January 9th, 2023, 7:00 pm With this build, they are giving Reasor's (from Tulsa) a store to buy, with this Kroger/Albertsons megamerger going on.
I think that predicting an unopened store to be among the divested is presumptuous at best, plus it's too far from the core of Reasors for BGC to be interested in it. If it does open as Market Street, it would most likely not be sold.
pseudo3d wrote: January 11th, 2023, 10:01 pm That said, I'm not sure how many former Safeway stores they picked up in 1987 (if any) and what they got.
WD was just beginning the Marketplace program in 1987 when the Dallas division closed. They picked up several stores in the western section like Abilene, Sweetwater and Wichita Falls, all of which became Marketplace stores. Several were sold to BGC upon WD's division closure. Several of those have themselves closed.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

wnetmacman wrote: September 11th, 2023, 10:03 pm
retailfanmitchell019 wrote: January 9th, 2023, 7:00 pm With this build, they are giving Reasor's (from Tulsa) a store to buy, with this Kroger/Albertsons megamerger going on.
I think that predicting an unopened store to be among the divested is presumptuous at best, plus it's too far from the core of Reasors for BGC to be interested in it. If it does open as Market Street, it would most likely not be sold.
RFM019 is obsessed with Loblaws for some reason, he also thinks that the Texas division of Albertsons/Safeway needs to go away either way...for some reason.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

pseudo3d wrote: September 12th, 2023, 6:05 am
RFM019 is obsessed with Loblaws for some reason, he also thinks that the Texas division of Albertsons/Safeway needs to go away either way...for some reason.
I'd love to see Loblaw and its multi format strategy in the US. But I don't see it coming. T&T entry is suspicious but may be a one off thing.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

storewanderer wrote: September 12th, 2023, 9:11 am I'd love to see Loblaw and its multi format strategy in the US. But I don't see it coming. T&T entry is suspicious but may be a one off thing.
Loblaw has been here. They never enjoyed success on a large scale, only in some places. Just at the time they built up some momentum (The Real Superstore in New Orleans), the largest competitor in one of the two remaining areas bought them out (Schwegmann), killing both companies in the process, and selling the distant division to their largest competitr (Schnucks).

Suffice it to say I don't feel like they want to be here.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

wnetmacman wrote: September 12th, 2023, 9:18 am
storewanderer wrote: September 12th, 2023, 9:11 am I'd love to see Loblaw and its multi format strategy in the US. But I don't see it coming. T&T entry is suspicious but may be a one off thing.
Loblaw has been here. They never enjoyed success on a large scale, only in some places. Just at the time they built up some momentum (The Real Superstore in New Orleans), the largest competitor in one of the two remaining areas bought them out (Schwegmann), killing both companies in the process, and selling the distant division to their largest competitr (Schnucks).

Loblaws has been in the US several times and each time was a failure. While 1932 is 91 years ago, their inability to gain traction in Chicago prompted them to sell their "groceterias" to Jewel Tea Company (which did not have retail stores at the time) and Jewel was born. Undeterred, they bought National in the 1950's and eventually transferred the Buffalo Loblaws and California stores (whose name escapes me) to National. Starved for capital to develop larger stores (as was Loblaws itself in Canada), National went from being the #1 grocery chain to a distant third or fourth in Chicago and lagged behind Kroger and Marsh in Indy, where they were called "Standard." (I don't know where they ranked in their other markets) They finally injected some capital into National. Too little, too late and they sold several divisions (including their largest, Chicago) and ultimately contracted to St Louis and New Orleans. We know what happened next.
wnetmacman wrote: September 12th, 2023, 9:18 am Suffice it to say I don't feel like they want to be here.
That sounds about right.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

Albertsons/Tom Thumb/Market Street is #3 in the DFW metroplex by now, and with HEB finally entering the core of DFW, Albertsons is screwed there in the long run.
It’s sad this has happened, considering Albertsons had #1 market share in the DFW metroplex 25 years ago. Walmart and Kroger have slammed them HARD out there since then (DFW is the largest metro where Walmart is #1). Albertsons also made weird real estate decisions there in the early 2000s which resulted in many closures during the LLC era.
Then there is Randalls in Houston and Austin. In the Austin metro, HEB has a jaw-dropping 49%(!) market share. Randalls is #5 there, even having lower share than Sam’s Club.
https://www.axios.com/local/austin/2022 ... tral-texas
In Houston, why are they even trying there at this point, with Randalls having a minuscule 2% market share? https://www.axios.com/local/houston/202 ... re-houston
As for United, I’d sell it back to the family that owned it.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

rwsandiego wrote: September 12th, 2023, 10:52 am
wnetmacman wrote: September 12th, 2023, 9:18 am

Loblaws has been in the US several times and each time was a failure. While 1932 is 91 years ago, their inability to gain traction in Chicago prompted them to sell their "groceterias" to Jewel Tea Company (which did not have retail stores at the time) and Jewel was born. Undeterred, they bought National in the 1950's and eventually transferred the Buffalo Loblaws and California stores (whose name escapes me) to National. Starved for capital to develop larger stores (as was Loblaws itself in Canada), National went from being the #1 grocery chain to a distant third or fourth in Chicago and lagged behind Kroger and Marsh in Indy, where they were called "Standard." (I don't know where they ranked in their other markets) They finally injected some capital into National. Too little, too late and they sold several divisions (including their largest, Chicago) and ultimately contracted to St Louis and New Orleans. We know what happened next.
wnetmacman wrote: September 12th, 2023, 9:18 am Suffice it to say I don't feel like they want to be here.
That sounds about right.
The only reason for T&T division of Loblaws to come over is that it will be cheap for them to direct import foods from Asia to the US with US dollars. The exchange rates and everything else from a tariff perspective on Asian import foods into the US allows for great profits which is why we are seeing accelerated, explosive growth of the two leading chains 99 Ranch and H-Mart. It may also allow for them to source some items with American dollars and then export to Canada at a cost savings; my last company would go back and forth between direct sourcing and export to stock Canadian locations. If that's the case, and I'll bet it is, then opening US stores for this concept basically will save them more in the long run than the stores will cost to operate. And they already know how to turn a profit on these stores in high labor cost areas because that's basically all of Canada.

Loblaw/Provigo/Great Canadian and whatever other banners I'm forgetting about are primarily Canadian sourced products, Canadian produce and so forth. Even American brands are made in Canadian plants if you look on the label. Exporting to the US is unprofitable with the combined exchange rate issue and high transportation costs. There are a few notable exceptions such as manufacturers in Mississauga, ON that is a short drive from the US border and you find a lot of private brand foods made there in the US such as many frozen Signature Select items at Albertsons stores. But it would still be very challenging financially to use Canadian dollars for US stores.

So opening those types of stores in the US means needing to start a completely new supply chain, new headquarters, new vendors, new manufacturing, and so forth basically as if they're starting a new grocery chain from scratch... Much easier when you're direct importing.

There is little to no comparison between Loblaws conventional stores and their T&T division because the difference is entirely in the sourcing and importing of product. Nobody should expect Loblaws to install any conventional store anytime soon, and I think this Kroger-Albertsons deal indicates that there really are few opportunities to acquire chains in the US, merge them together etc. The only strategic fit that I could see set sail decades ago; Loblaw would have been a good fit for acquiring Fred Meyer Co. But as we know Kroger bought them and here we are today.

Appreciate the love for Loblaw (especially those dazzling Provigo stores in Montréal - the big superstores not the weird little ones that resemble an IGA). They're not coming here unless there is a drastic and shocking change to the exchange rates, and you do not want to know what your everyday life would be like if that happened... It would be $20 for a twelve pack of Pepsi, $5 for a Hershey bar, $10 for a head of lettuce and such.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: September 12th, 2023, 11:02 am

Albertsons/Tom Thumb/Market Street is #3 in the DFW metroplex by now, and with HEB finally entering the core of DFW, Albertsons is screwed there in the long run.
It’s sad this has happened, considering Albertsons had #1 market share in the DFW metroplex 25 years ago. Walmart and Kroger have slammed them HARD out there since then (DFW is the largest metro where Walmart is #1). Albertsons also made weird real estate decisions there in the early 2000s which resulted in many closures during the LLC era.
Then there is Randalls in Houston and Austin. In the Austin metro, HEB has a jaw-dropping 49%(!) market share. Randalls is #5 there, even having lower share than Sam’s Club.
In Houston, why are they even trying there at this point, with Randalls having a minuscule 2% market share? https://www.axios.com/local/houston/202 ... re-houston
Well, clearly Walmart being #1 in Dallas would demonstrate the fact that the most popular grocer in the area isn't the best one...and if you were going after Randalls/Tom Thumb for a lower market share, then by extension Aldi should close a vast majority of their stores since the market share for Aldi is even lower (in TX and CA at least).
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

pseudo3d wrote: September 12th, 2023, 5:24 pm

Well, clearly Walmart being #1 in Dallas would demonstrate the fact that the most popular grocer in the area isn't the best one...and if you were going after Randalls/Tom Thumb for a lower market share, then by extension Aldi should close a vast majority of their stores since the market share for Aldi is even lower (in TX and CA at least).
Market Share is only an indicator of sales. Walmart sells more than anyone else in Dallas. It does not reflect what customers think of those stores or any competitor.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

wnetmacman wrote: September 18th, 2023, 9:59 am
pseudo3d wrote: September 12th, 2023, 5:24 pm
Market Share is only an indicator of sales. Walmart sells more than anyone else in Dallas. It does not reflect what customers think of those stores or any competitor.
That was my point, yes.