Dollar General

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Dollar General

Post by BillyGr »

veteran+ wrote: April 1st, 2023, 11:24 am Common sense regarding safety is not what regualtory agencies audit because humans more often do not do the smart thing regarding emergencies, You just can't count on that.

Emergency exits, boxes in the way or piled too high and other well documented trangressions by DG and others of their kind are indeed important.

Rules are mostly made to counter in the many foibles of average folks.
That was the point - people (not working in the businesses) make these STUPID rules that don't need to be made!

If the people are not smart enough to be able to get everyone out in a true emergency (which rarely happens) or do dumb things that cause injuries, they should not be the ones working/running it.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 7:58 am The problems with these types of stores and the neighborhoods they "serve" are much more complicated and deserve deeper critical analysis.

The stores do NOT help the situation by extreme understaffing, insufficient security personnel, inferior security measures and dangerous housekeeping (refusing to take law enforcemnet suggestions). Corporate profits suggest they can indeed afford to run these stores the right way in these special needs and problematic neighborhoods. They do NOT do the right thing. They do not even try.
These neighborhoods took decades to become this way. I would argue the opening of a Dollar General or Family Dollar helps the neighborhood if nothing else because it takes a space that was previously abandoned/blight and it opens up the space. It puts up some lights. It adds a few jobs. It gives people a place to buy some items including an assortment of dairy products and frozen foods and in some cases some fresh produce (usually doesn't sell well though). Would a full service store be better? Yes. But I think these are better than nothing. I would also argue they are better than a Save a Lot type place since they have an assortment of general merchandise (and it is really a very useful little assortment they carry if you are doing light repairs, gardening, need towels/sheets, shower curtain, a trash can, etc.).

Do you know how often these chains take city incentives to open a Dollar General or Family Dollar in these tough neighborhoods? Do they even take incentives from the city (I didn't see that in the articles...). I think a potential "tooth" to call them out for crime around their stores could be to make it a condition of taking city money that they will, for instance, have security positioned inside the store whenever it is open (armed security?) or they will safeguard employees by putting them behind bulletproof glass or something.

I know often smaller businesses/franchises like Save a Lot will look for city incentives to open stores in these really bad neighborhoods but I don't know the terms of those arrangements.

As you know major chain grocers abandoned these neighborhoods decades ago, as did the drugstore chains. Those companies should have a lot more resources, yet they left. So Dollar General had profits of $3.3 billion last year, so divide that by 19,000 stores and that is an average profit per store of $174,000 when all is said and done. Expense wise these stores run on a tight rope. The question is do they spend $150k on extra security and then the store barely breaks even then the store closes? Then what?

I guess what I am getting at is these neighborhoods lost the chain grocer and chain drug store decades ago that they would have been better off with... now they get these stores... is it better than no stores? Plus at least in the case of Dollar General they seem to be trying to add more things like fresh produce, "better for you foods" etc. which are hard sells in these types of locations as demand seems to be weak, but they do at least try to provide access to these items with recent initiatives.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

BillyGr wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 3:42 pm
veteran+ wrote: April 1st, 2023, 11:24 am Common sense regarding safety is not what regualtory agencies audit because humans more often do not do the smart thing regarding emergencies, You just can't count on that.

Emergency exits, boxes in the way or piled too high and other well documented trangressions by DG and others of their kind are indeed important.

Rules are mostly made to counter in the many foibles of average folks.
That was the point - people (not working in the businesses) make these STUPID rules that don't need to be made!

If the people are not smart enough to be able to get everyone out in a true emergency (which rarely happens) or do dumb things that cause injuries, they should not be the ones working/running it.
Well, that is not how the science behind OSHA and other pros regarding safety and sanitation see it. If they took that approach many more employees would be injured or worse.

I have seen veteran employees of mine "do the wrong thing" and knew better (or course they were written up).
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 9:48 pm
veteran+ wrote: April 2nd, 2023, 7:58 am The problems with these types of stores and the neighborhoods they "serve" are much more complicated and deserve deeper critical analysis.

The stores do NOT help the situation by extreme understaffing, insufficient security personnel, inferior security measures and dangerous housekeeping (refusing to take law enforcemnet suggestions). Corporate profits suggest they can indeed afford to run these stores the right way in these special needs and problematic neighborhoods. They do NOT do the right thing. They do not even try.
These neighborhoods took decades to become this way. I would argue the opening of a Dollar General or Family Dollar helps the neighborhood if nothing else because it takes a space that was previously abandoned/blight and it opens up the space. It puts up some lights. It adds a few jobs. It gives people a place to buy some items including an assortment of dairy products and frozen foods and in some cases some fresh produce (usually doesn't sell well though). Would a full service store be better? Yes. But I think these are better than nothing. I would also argue they are better than a Save a Lot type place since they have an assortment of general merchandise (and it is really a very useful little assortment they carry if you are doing light repairs, gardening, need towels/sheets, shower curtain, a trash can, etc.).

Do you know how often these chains take city incentives to open a Dollar General or Family Dollar in these tough neighborhoods? Do they even take incentives from the city (I didn't see that in the articles...). I think a potential "tooth" to call them out for crime around their stores could be to make it a condition of taking city money that they will, for instance, have security positioned inside the store whenever it is open (armed security?) or they will safeguard employees by putting them behind bulletproof glass or something.

I know often smaller businesses/franchises like Save a Lot will look for city incentives to open stores in these really bad neighborhoods but I don't know the terms of those arrangements.

As you know major chain grocers abandoned these neighborhoods decades ago, as did the drugstore chains. Those companies should have a lot more resources, yet they left. So Dollar General had profits of $3.3 billion last year, so divide that by 19,000 stores and that is an average profit per store of $174,000 when all is said and done. Expense wise these stores run on a tight rope. The question is do they spend $150k on extra security and then the store barely breaks even then the store closes? Then what?

I guess what I am getting at is these neighborhoods lost the chain grocer and chain drug store decades ago that they would have been better off with... now they get these stores... is it better than no stores? Plus at least in the case of Dollar General they seem to be trying to add more things like fresh produce, "better for you foods" etc. which are hard sells in these types of locations as demand seems to be weak, but they do at least try to provide access to these items with recent initiatives.
You make some good points but the bottom line is that currently by they way they are managing these stores (1 or 2 employees?) they are making matters worse under the guise of making matters better.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 8:25 am

You make some good points but the bottom line is that currently by they way they are managing these stores (1 or 2 employees?) they are making matters worse under the guise of making matters better.
With average profit per store under $200k, it doesn't feel like there is much money to add more employees.

I think they need to understand a few things. If they add more employees and the employees are effective, the stores will be better in stock (increase sales) and reduce shrink (due to more eyes on things).

I think they have some of the same issues as Wal Mart that have caused Wal Mart to lose control over urban stores and end up closing. They get comfortable operating in places where literally nothing but stupid petty theft type stuff happens (these little towns with populations under 1k) like simple shoplifting here and there and cash theft which basically just get ignored. Then they get into these big cities where a lot more serious types of crimes occur and don't seem to know what to do.

Another thing beyond wondering if they take city incentives to open in these big cities is, are they still opening stores in big cities?

What is funny is if you try to do a refund at Dollar General. It is an absolute show. With a receipt, you have to get the manager with a key, then the manager has to do a key turn and override multiple times throughout the refund process. After that a slip prints out and both you and the manager have to sign the slip acknowledging cash was given to you. Then you leave your phone number (wonder how that works in CA... illegal to require phone number) and their loss prevention will contact you at random to ask if you really got the cash or not. I have heard of some grocery store chains doing a similar thing for large dollar refunds but have never been contacted (have seen the print out at Safeway on a $16 or so overcharge recently that I had where I had to fill this information out but this was in NV so no law against phone number disclosure here).
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Another tidbit.....................

https://www.supermarketnews.com/retail- ... omes-price
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

veteran+ wrote: April 4th, 2023, 7:33 am Another tidbit.....................

True in many cases. They can have a few where they are better, often when a smaller package is available and combined with a coupon that is good on any size.

Also, the convenience factor - going 2 miles to Dollar General vs. 15+ to Walmart offsets a few cents in extra price by not spending that on the gas to get to the store further away.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Dollar General has really been increasing prices since 2020 supply chain issues. I've posted about that here before.

Their prices used to be within 5-10% of Wal Mart on various food, home, and drug items. Stack digital coupons and ad specials and they were a really good deal.

But since then many of their prices just keep going up and up. Last week I saw 1.05 for a can of Friskies Cat Food. Wal Mart just took another increase on this to .78 and Target just took another increase to .79. Before, Dollar General would have priced that item at .80 or .85 or .90. Not anymore.

One thing though is Dollar General still has a lot of candy at $1. I'm not sure if it is a quasi loss leader at this point or what.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

BillyGr wrote: April 4th, 2023, 1:22 pm

True in many cases. They can have a few where they are better, often when a smaller package is available and combined with a coupon that is good on any size.

Also, the convenience factor - going 2 miles to Dollar General vs. 15+ to Walmart offsets a few cents in extra price by not spending that on the gas to get to the store further away.
True!

But many folks (even here) are fine spending more gas and more TIME hopping from one place to another.

And let's not forget that 2 miles in one area versus another area are VERY different. In Los Angeles travelling around a 5 miles radius is like 20 or more miles in Denver (timewise and gasoline wise).
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

veteran+ wrote: April 5th, 2023, 9:32 am
BillyGr wrote: April 4th, 2023, 1:22 pm

True!

But many folks (even here) are fine spending more gas and more TIME hopping from one place to another.

And let's not forget that 2 miles in one area versus another area are VERY different. In Los Angeles travelling around a 5 miles radius is like 20 or more miles in Denver (timewise and gasoline wise).
I was thinking more in the rural areas, where a store like this may have several locations in a county vs. only one Walmart - travel time isn't much of an issue (higher speeds/less traffic), but distance may be (particularly for a quick/small purchase).