Tupperware on the outs?

Covering the wide world of online shopping!
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Tupperware on the outs?

Post by SamSpade »

Tupperware in dire straits: seeks financing
Apparently the product was already struggling ahead of the pandemic, saw a sales lift, and is now struggling to recover as patterns return back to more 'norms.'
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Tupperware on the outs?

Post by mbz321 »

I didn't even know Tupperware as a standalone company, was even still a thing. I figured the name was bought up by some other conglomerate a long time ago.
mjhale
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by mjhale »

There are way too many food storage options for Tupperware to stand out like it did when it was the only game in town. With inflation and lagging salaries hitting everyone hard plus the general get things for the lowest cost attitude of the American consumer why pay for Tupperware when you can get one of the many options at the local store cheaper. Add to that I don't have to mail order from Tupperware or go through a rep. Can one even buy Tupperware in stores? I don't think I've ever seen it sold in retail stores.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

They've been in Target for the last year or so...
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

I remember when Target began selling Tupperware. At the time, I didn't need any plastic containers, so I didn't pay them any mind. A few months ago, I needed containers and looked at Tupperware. Tupperware's 1-, 2- and 4-cup containers are available only in round containers. Rectangular containers, which most other companies sell, are not made in that size. Also, their containers are opaque, like back in the old days. Modern containers are clear. Lastly, the price was as high or higher than other brands. Didn't have what I wanted so I bought something at The Container Store.

When I saw that they were teetering on the brink of bankruptcy I wasn't surprised.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Those opaque containers, I never felt like you could get them clean...

If they couldn't make it after getting into Target... not sure what else they could try.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Plastic containers have been reported as being unsafe for humans and animals (old containers and new).

It is because of the chemicals used to make them (BPA and their "subsitutes") and noteably because of how we use them and clean them (microwave, dishwasher, hand washing, utensil abrasions, etc.).

Glass is best or stainless steel.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: April 18th, 2023, 9:14 am Plastic containers have been reported as being unsafe for humans and animals (old containers and new).

It is because of the chemicals used to make them (BPA and their "subsitutes") and noteably because of how we use them and clean them (microwave, dishwasher, hand washing, utensil abrasions, etc.).

These containers are not single use. They are an accepted and even encouraged plastic. Many reusable cups are exactly the same type of plastic material as Tupperware and these are being pushed like crazy.

Soon we will see legislation passed in some city somewhere that bans restaurants from providing single use plastic containers but allows them to provide "reusable" super thick Tupperware type containers and after it passes in some single city it will pass in a few more then some state will pass it.

I agree with you that these reusable plastic food containers are no good and have various concerning health effects for reheating, heavy washing, or even washing with hot water. I suppose they could be a good place to store unsalted nuts or something that dry that does not really get the container very dirty.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: April 18th, 2023, 12:26 am Those opaque containers, I never felt like you could get them clean...
Isn't that the truth? My mother had a few back in the day and they always looked dirty, even when they were new.
veteran+ wrote: April 18th, 2023, 9:14 am Plastic containers have been reported as being unsafe for humans and animals (old containers and new).

That's another issue. The consumer who can afford/will pay for Tupperware doesn't buy plastic and buys glass instead.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

The report I read did not distinguish much between single use and long term use.

Newer was better but how WE use it quickly disappears the advantage. Plus, they are using new chemicals that experts predict will be just as harmful as BPAs.

🤷‍♂️