Fred Meyer and QFC to discontinue mailers

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Fred Meyer and QFC to discontinue mailers

Post by SamSpade »

Print copies will be available in store, but the fruit basket logo is recommending folks download the store app and go from there. I wonder if it will continue to be in the Flipp app/site?

This is taking effect May 24.

No mention of it being a "green" initiative.
Super S

Re: Fred Meyer and QFC to discontinue mailers

Post by Super S »

SamSpade wrote: April 19th, 2023, 9:57 am Print copies will be available in store, but the fruit basket logo is recommending folks download the store app and go from there. I wonder if it will continue to be in the Flipp app/site?

No point in print ads if you need apps and cards to get the sale prices anyway....
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

Looks like the first step to rebannering to me.

Or, maybe not.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

Super S wrote: April 19th, 2023, 3:12 pm
SamSpade wrote: April 19th, 2023, 9:57 am Print copies will be available in store, but the fruit basket logo is recommending folks download the store app and go from there. I wonder if it will continue to be in the Flipp app/site?

No point in print ads if you need apps and cards to get the sale prices anyway....
You can (at least in some stores) use a card without needing to have any online access, thus a print ad is certainly helpful.
There may be a few items advertised that won't be available (due to needing a digital coupon) but even one store has machines in store where you can load those as well for anyone without computer access.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

arizonaguy wrote: April 19th, 2023, 3:19 pm Looks like the first step to rebannering to me.

Or, maybe not.
:?: Who knows. I received email updates on my Pickup order I did through Fred Meyer this week (I have thoughts on all 3 big eCommerce options here...) and it mentioned pulling up to the Harris Teeter Pickup spaces. So there's that.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

It seems like a lack of print ads would hurt the Fred Meyer general merchandise business? Maybe it doesn't matter anymore.

QFC probably doesn't need print ads.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

storewanderer wrote: April 19th, 2023, 11:09 pm It seems like a lack of print ads would hurt the Fred Meyer general merchandise business? Maybe it doesn't matter anymore.

Hurt the general merchandise business? Its so dead in that side of the store, I'm more worried about being mugged.
Super S

Post by Super S »

babs wrote: April 20th, 2023, 6:46 am
storewanderer wrote: April 19th, 2023, 11:09 pm It seems like a lack of print ads would hurt the Fred Meyer general merchandise business? Maybe it doesn't matter anymore.

Hurt the general merchandise business? Its so dead in that side of the store, I'm more worried about being mugged.
Fred Meyer's GM side has been struggling...the mix is a lot more watered down than it used to be, and they require the card for sale prices all across the store. The regular prices are on the high side, more in line with department stores than they are with stores such as Walmart or Target.

Maybe it's just the time of day I go in there, but I have not seen a regular checkstand open on the GM side in at least a year, it is, for the most part, forced self-checkout on that side of the store now, with those doors locking up at 9PM.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

Super S wrote: April 20th, 2023, 8:07 am
babs wrote: April 20th, 2023, 6:46 am

Fred Meyer's GM side has been struggling...the mix is a lot more watered down than it used to be, and they require the card for sale prices all across the store. The regular prices are on the high side, more in line with department stores than they are with stores such as Walmart or Target.

Maybe it's just the time of day I go in there, but I have not seen a regular checkstand open on the GM side in at least a year, it is, for the most part, forced self-checkout on that side of the store now, with those doors locking up at 9PM.
I'm seeing the GM doors close at 7 or 8pm depending on location. Some are all self checkout while others are staffed. I wouldn't want to work those checkstands as I'd feel very vulnerable to a hold up.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: April 20th, 2023, 3:36 pm

I'm seeing the GM doors close at 7 or 8pm depending on location. Some are all self checkout while others are staffed. I wouldn't want to work those checkstands as I'd feel very vulnerable to a hold up.
They should do a cash pick up once cash hits a pretty low amount in the register with money in it, like around $200, but the robbers may not know that.

Is business improving at those areas during the season when garden is open?