Aldi

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Aldi

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: June 28th, 2023, 5:37 pm
Aldi was to open a distribution center in the West Valley and then announced that it was on hold, likely for "several years." IIRC, they cited logistical issues. Meanwhile, they have slowed down their Arizona expansion plans. In the last year they have opened a couple of new stores. One is in North Mountain (Bell Rd and 12th Street, Phoenix), which opened about a year ago, and the other just opened in Tempe (Baseline and McClintock). They are also opening a store in Paradise Valley (the Phoenix neighborhood, not the ultra-wealthy town) at Tatum and Cactus. They are taking part of a space that was a Stein-Mart.

The thing to keep in mind about Aldi is it isn't a typical American supermarket. It's quirky, 25-cents-to-unleash-a-cart, small building, limited selection, products-here-today-gone-tomorrow Aldi. Until the last ten or so years, they stacked cases of product on the floor and as one case became empty they opened another one. If customers are looking for an amazing shopping experience they are at the wrong store.
I'm looking for an efficient shopping experience with competent employees who seem to actually care about their jobs and store. That is what I've seen at Aldi in the Midwest. I don't see that much at Aldi in SoCal and the problem is when the store messes up (scanning error, line of 10 people at one open register and no additional cashier called up, and the rotten/poor rotation of fresh products I've seen in these same stores) I don't see the attitude I am expecting and the overall experience 1s so revoltingly poor by these rude, disengaged managers/employees, it leaves an awful impression. And my impression is the corporate office of Aldi does not care either because nobody at the regional level even bothers to respond to complaints.

I never had an issue with store condition, checkout lines, or scan errors at Aldi until they showed up in SoCal.. decades of shopping them elsewhere and never an issue, and never saw any other customers with these issues either.

Terrible management at Aldi in SoCal at the regional level.
Knight
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Knight »

rwsandiego wrote: June 28th, 2023, 5:37 pm The thing to keep in mind about Aldi is it isn't a typical American supermarket. It's quirky, 25-cents-to-unleash-a-cart, small building, limited selection, products-here-today-gone-tomorrow Aldi. Until the last ten or so years, they stacked cases of product on the floor and as one case became empty they opened another one. If customers are looking for an amazing shopping experience they are at the wrong store.
Aldi does not operate supermarkets yet; only limited assortment / discount grocery stores. It would be interesting if it ventured into that food retail segment.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: June 28th, 2023, 5:50 pm
Aldi was to open a distribution center in the West Valley and then announced that it was on hold, likely for "several years." IIRC, they cited logistical issues. Meanwhile, they have slowed down their Arizona expansion plans. In the last year they have opened a couple of new stores. One is in North Mountain (Bell Rd and 12th Street, Phoenix), which opened about a year ago, and the other just opened in Tempe (Baseline and McClintock). They are also opening a store in Paradise Valley (the Phoenix neighborhood, not the ultra-wealthy town) at Tatum and Cactus. They are taking part of a space that was a Stein-Mart.

The thing to keep in mind about Aldi is it isn't a typical American supermarket. It's quirky, 25-cents-to-unleash-a-cart, small building, limited selection, products-here-today-gone-tomorrow Aldi. Until the last ten or so years, they stacked cases of product on the floor and as one case became empty they opened another one. If customers are looking for an amazing shopping experience they are at the wrong store.
I'm looking for an efficient shopping experience with competent employees who seem to actually care about their jobs and store. That is what I've seen at Aldi in the Midwest. I don't see that much at Aldi in SoCal and the problem is when the store messes up (scanning error, line of 10 people at one open register and no additional cashier called up, and the rotten/poor rotation of fresh products I've seen in these same stores) I don't see the attitude I am expecting and the overall experience 1s so revoltingly poor by these rude, disengaged managers/employees, it leaves an awful impression. And my impression is the corporate office of Aldi does not care either because nobody at the regional level even bothers to respond to complaints.

I never had an issue with store condition, checkout lines, or scan errors at Aldi until they showed up in SoCal.. decades of shopping them elsewhere and never an issue, and never saw any other customers with these issues either.

I wonder if that is a German thing?

You can't seem to get a hold of anyone at Trader Joes corporate.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Off Topic
veteran+ wrote: June 29th, 2023, 8:57 amYou can't seem to get a hold of anyone at Trader Joes corporate.
Maybe you need to call the office on the other coast?
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Knight wrote: June 28th, 2023, 7:37 pm
rwsandiego wrote: June 28th, 2023, 5:37 pm The thing to keep in mind about Aldi is it isn't a typical American supermarket. It's quirky, 25-cents-to-unleash-a-cart, small building, limited selection, products-here-today-gone-tomorrow Aldi. Until the last ten or so years, they stacked cases of product on the floor and as one case became empty they opened another one. If customers are looking for an amazing shopping experience they are at the wrong store.
Aldi does not operate supermarkets yet; only limited assortment / discount grocery stores. It would be interesting if it ventured into that food retail segment.
Given they have operated this way in the US since the 1970's, I don't think they are about to change now. They have a following. Why mess it up?
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: June 28th, 2023, 5:50 pm

I've shopped at Aldi in Southern California and have had the same Aldi experience I had for 20+ years in Chicago and for the past few years in Arizona. I'm usually shopping in Palm Springs and North San Diego County and have gotten in and out quickly, the stores are clean, and the prices are better than the supermarket. I don't even look at the produce, as I buy specific product at either the farmer's market, Whole Foods, or Safeway (VONS in Southern California). That's not to say Aldi doesn't screw up, but in my experience hey have been perfectly acceptable.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: June 29th, 2023, 8:57 am

I've never tried to contact Trader Joe's with a complaint. What happens?

Aldi you can get ahold of someone, you actually go through a few layers before you finally get to someone who documents everything and sounds like they take it seriously. They seem to discourage comments though and don't make it overly easy to call them.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: July 1st, 2023, 12:01 am
veteran+ wrote: June 29th, 2023, 8:57 am

I've never tried to contact Trader Joe's with a complaint. What happens?

Aldi you can get ahold of someone, you actually go through a few layers before you finally get to someone who documents everything and sounds like they take it seriously. They seem to discourage comments though and don't make it overly easy to call them.
I have tried every which way to contact corporate but it always directs you back to the specific store. Your issues must be addressed to that store's Captain........ONLY.

It's like they do NOT want customer feedback at corporate. So that makes the store unaccountable. The Captain many times becomes complicit (part of the gang or click) in what is wrong.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: July 1st, 2023, 7:46 am

I have tried every which way to contact corporate but it always directs you back to the specific store. Your issues must be addressed to that store's Captain........ONLY.

It's like they do NOT want customer feedback at corporate. So that makes the store unaccountable. The Captain many times becomes complicit (part of the gang or click) in what is wrong.
Do they not have district managers or anything? I wonder who the Captains report to. Someone must be supervising them.

Maybe a lack of layers of management is part of how they keep their prices so low?
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: July 2nd, 2023, 1:04 am
veteran+ wrote: July 1st, 2023, 7:46 am

Do they not have district managers or anything? I wonder who the Captains report to. Someone must be supervising them.

Maybe a lack of layers of management is part of how they keep their prices so low?
They will not even give a name or contact info on whom is above the Captain. :x