Whole Foods Amazon Prime 10% off

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Whole Foods Amazon Prime 10% off

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: July 5th, 2023, 10:41 pm I agree with your observation, probably right around 50%. One factor may be that Whole Foods, which still has a reputation for high prices, might have customers who are less price-sensitive. When I lived in OC, I was surprised at how many people declined the Pavilions club card (whatever it was called) and just paid the sticker prices because they couldn't be bothered. But for a retailer to successfully appeal to the masses, as most supermarkets need to do, this is generally not a good idea. I think Amazon is treating Whole Foods like a branch of their tech empire rather than a retailer, and I have a feeling it's not going to go well in the long run. Then again, I don't know if they care too much. Perhaps Whole Foods is more valuable as a way of selling Prime memberships than selling food.
I don't see Whole Foods making any direct moves to sell Prime but if I am a regular Whole Foods shopper it is possible the extra 10% off sale prices could pay for Prime if I bought enough of those items. Amazon isn't running Whole Foods properly. I don't think it has the quality it once did and its standards seem to have taken a nosedive on fresh products.

You'd be surprised in general how many people decline these club cards.

I see lots of people decline the club card at Safeway throughout NorCal and even here in Reno. At the Tahoe Stores, I have seen some huge baskets $300+ decline the club card and just pay. Even when a cashier pled with them to sign up. I've seen cashiers who told them to save their receipt and if they decide to sign up later, bring the receipt back and they can get a refund for the missed savings amount. The cashiers really did want to do everything possible to get the customers the discounts. Back when Safeway had physical club cards, after Albertsons took over, they were able to give a blank card out, scan it, and tell the customer to bring the application back later, and I saw that done a few times. Under the old Safeway that was prohibited and doing that would result in termination for club card fraud and the booth clerk who got the club card out of the safe and the cashier who gave the club card out would both be terminated; union could do nothing about terminations for club card fraud. That club card fraud would be caught when an unregistered club card was continually used. Eventually a report flagged the unregistered card being continually used and research via cameras was done to figure out how the card got into circulation and where the application went (policy was no card until application was filled out). If the customer actually signed up for it within a week or two of it being given out, it wouldn't be caught and the employees would not get in trouble.

Same thing at Smiths. When I go through self checkout and end up getting the last customer's receipt, about 20% of the time, that receipt had no loyalty card used. Often small transactions but with today's prices even a few items can go up over $50. If you go through a human checkout at Smiths, they have a store card they use, which does not accrue any fuel points, so they take care of the customer that way. That option is available at self checkout if you ask, many employees have that barcode attached to their name tag/time clock card, but most people don't ask for it at self checkout. Down at Ralphs I have been advised there is no store card option.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

storewanderer wrote: July 5th, 2023, 10:50 pm Under the old Safeway that was prohibited and doing that would result in termination for club card fraud and the booth clerk who got the club card out of the safe and the cashier who gave the club card out would both be terminated; union could do nothing about terminations for club card fraud. That club card fraud would be caught when an unregistered club card was continually used. Eventually a report flagged the unregistered card being continually used and research via cameras was done to figure out how the card got into circulation and where the application went (policy was no card until application was filled out). If the customer actually signed up for it within a week or two of it being given out, it wouldn't be caught and the employees would not get in trouble.
I was given several unregistered club cards when I didn't have mine (or wanted another one from another division). I don't think I ever filled out the application, but I never used the cards again either. If this was against policy, it was poorly enforced. Sometimes I would just enter a famous phone number like 867-5309 which would almost always work.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: July 5th, 2023, 11:04 pm
storewanderer wrote: July 5th, 2023, 10:50 pm Under the old Safeway that was prohibited and doing that would result in termination for club card fraud and the booth clerk who got the club card out of the safe and the cashier who gave the club card out would both be terminated; union could do nothing about terminations for club card fraud. That club card fraud would be caught when an unregistered club card was continually used. Eventually a report flagged the unregistered card being continually used and research via cameras was done to figure out how the card got into circulation and where the application went (policy was no card until application was filled out). If the customer actually signed up for it within a week or two of it being given out, it wouldn't be caught and the employees would not get in trouble.
I was given several unregistered club cards when I didn't have mine (or wanted another one from another division). I don't think I ever filled out the application, but I never used the cards again either. If this was against policy, it was poorly enforced. Sometimes I would just enter a famous phone number like 867-5309 which would almost always work.
Yes, 867-5309 and 555-1212 almost always work. When I travel to unknown locations I figure out the local area code and use one of those two when I don't want to bother with a sign up like Winn Dixie, Giant Eagle, etc. If those numbers don't work then I sign up.

I have a couple unregistered Safeway cards that I haven't used since before the Albertsons merger as not all divisions were as funny about cards as NorCal was. I used to get a nasty little message on the receipt to call a phone number to register my card. One time to use one of those cards, it prompted for a manager override and the manager came and said I need to complete the sign up but they had no applications (good old Steve Burd era Safeway) and wanted me to put my name, etc. on receipt tape and they said they'd sign me up. I refused to do that and they told me to call the 888 number on the card to sign up. I decided to just retire that card. I should go try it again and see what happens today.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I see enforcement of "the card" thing at Pavilions and Vons but NOT at Ralphs. Ralphs checkers seem to always have a spare card to use.

Side note: Amazon has destroyed Whole Foods at all levels. The Prime discount is a joke.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

veteran+ wrote: July 6th, 2023, 9:10 am
Side note: Amazon has destroyed Whole Foods at all levels. The Prime discount is a joke.
As much as I'd love to give Amazon credit for this, Whole Foods was in hot water with their investors for their high SG&A (payroll) and wound up getting a nasty activist investor group pushing for changes. It was at that time that they had to start centralizing operations, eliminating fun positions such as store artists and sign makers, removing store purchasing abilities, and standardizing offerings of labor intensive in store perimeters. They didn't even have a consistent company wide automatic replenishment system, planograms, or POS system - some stores had their own registers that were old dinosaurs (Monterey, CA for example used a proprietary system with stickers on the register from a small town local retail company).

Some flagship stores had as many as a dozen prepared food operations such as barbecue, Brazilian churrasco, tacos, sushi, Indian, pasta, juice bars, "produce butchers", coffee roasters, chocolate fountains and truffle bars, and all sorts of other categories of food. Unfortunately their attempts at multiple in store restaurants and such had poor results as much of this food sat too long and became visually unappealing after the prime lunch hour. The shrink and labor costs had to be unreal. There were already issues of angry employees as the company was under pressure to improve profitability; there were pictures online showing entire dumpsters shoved full of produce and other perishables with the claim that these were filled to the top daily due to overzealous ordering by department managers who wanted to have abundant mountains of meats, fruits and vegetables on display. Angry frontline employees would take these pictures upset at the waste their supervisors caused, while their supervisors were upset they were losing the right to waste all of that product. All that manual ordering had to go and be replaced with computerized ordering.

The problem is that they switched to completely standardized recipes and formulas for all prepared food areas, making the stores identical and losing their character. Many of these new standard recipes had mixes put together by a new corporate commissary, or sauces prepared in cryovac bags etc. eliminating the real cooking. They had real chefs working in the stores who were both stripped of their creative abilities overnight and targeted for their high wages (as a lower paid cook who can follow a recipe book could now replace them). I doubt any WFM still employs their own store Head Chef. I will say though that the new corporate food is very bland, but some stores had Head Chefs that made some God awful food as well. There are a few stores where the corporate formulary might be better than what they were serving! (Barbecue Pork Pizza with Cream Bechemel sauce, globs of ground garlic from a jar on top, strong and pungent Roquefort blue cheese, corn, and some sort of invented in house barbecue pesto type sauce - the stink of this pizza could be smelled 50 feet away).

The flagship stores like Tustin, CA are where the cutbacks are the most evident. They remodeled the store to remove the vast majority of the perimeter departments (that store had four entirely separated counters for meat, seafood, ready to cook marinated meats, and barbecue with a seating area for example - with Brazilian barbecue on the opposite side of the store). The entire store was pushed back about 40 feet from the front wall, and a giant "lobby" of tables and chairs was installed to fill the empty space, ironically after most of the options for in store dining were removed or outsourced (they rented the front prime space to Mendocino Farms deli). The store feels hollowed out with widened aisles as the obvious SKU reductions and installation of corporate planograms meant many aisles needed to be removed.

I have zero doubt that if Whole Foods wasn't acquired by Amazon it would look almost the same today. Customers were complaining on the WFM Facebook and Yelp accounts that there weren't 342 different varieties of tomatoes anymore days after the buyout was announced and clearly Amazon has destroyed the store. Amazon was very clear in stating that they didn't start to even get their hands on the business for a couple of years because they were already so deep in their internal restructuring. I do question if Amazon had bought it earlier if they would have made less changes than WFM made themselves... The fact is they could have taught appropriate business acumen (if you only sell 50 large ribeyes a day and keep cutting 250 a day you're losing so much money you would have been better off putting a "closed" sign on the meat case), installed appropriate standardized practices of planograms and auto replenishment, and so on. And tell the employees WHY they're making the decisions, which obviously didn't happen.

It was ridiculous reading the news stories of angry WFM employees bitching to reporters that they're angry they can't buy and set an endcap of $14.98/lb fine imported Italian tagliatelle from some unheard of company like Pasta Obscura Expensiva because "evil" corporate has a POG for 365 pasta which by the way is on the ad cover and customers might be looking for it. The handling of the restructuring left a mass of toxic, pissed off employees who did more to damage the brand than any other change. Something went very wrong as these employees somehow felt that they were actually destroying and harming the company because of planograms, and no longer being permitted to literally hoard food overstocks in the stockroom despite throwing out dumpster loads of spoils daily.

These angry employees put the brand and customer health in danger. I am sure that many decided to start to "half-ass" cleaning procedures intentionally because they didn't care - not just because of labor reduction. Restrooms went from cleanest in food retail to foul smelling cesspools in multiple stores. I purchased a beautiful prime steak from the service counter and took it home in a cooler bag with ice packs (I always carry a few of these in my trunk when going to grocery shop). That evening took the steak out to put on the grill and it had multiple green spots on both sides - obviously they were not sanitizing the meat cutting equipment properly anymore. I took a picture and threw it out, the store refunded my money next visit but I never bought meat there again.

At current wages I am sure that if no changes were made and WFM continued to operate "as is" it would have bankrupted and liquidated some time ago. The question is why did it have to change so much that it completely lost its soul, its reputation, and feels like one of those bad private equity retail acquisitions?
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

I had no idea that there was so much waste!

Whole Foods over reaction to their investors, employees and their self destructive behaviors and the soulless Amazon take over explains it all now to me very well.

:cry:
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

veteran+ wrote: July 9th, 2023, 8:33 am I had no idea that there was so much waste!

Whole Foods over reaction to their investors, employees and their self destructive behaviors and the soulless Amazon take over explains it all now to me very well.

:cry:
I do not believe that Amazon has been as "hands on" as we might think at WFM. The direct Amazon changes are: adding online ordering through Amazon, moving delivery to Amazon employees, accepting Amazon returns, installing Amazon lockers, and using Prime service for discounts. Some stores getting Just Walk Out and Dash Carts. That's it.

All the other changes that are disliked were coming whether Amazon, Apollo, Albertsons, the firm threatening hostile takeover, or anyone else bought them or not. They were already in motion.

But I firmly believe the most dangerous threat to the company has been the labor issues that erupted from efforts to modernize operations. I agree with the workers that some changes were too drastic like 100% standardization of all prepared foods to corporate recipes and elimination of store level autonomy for those areas. If the standard recipes were of the quality of some of the Chef driven originals then it would be fine, but the stuff they brought in is flavorless and expensive junk that looks like it was rejected by the Walmart Deli QA dept. But the rest needed to be done, some jobs did need to be changed and eliminated, systems like planograms and automatic ordering were needed. These employees went public in news stories and so badly damaged the reputation of the onetime premium Whole Foods brand that it may never recover. When reporters asked probing questions to gather details they just weren't there - complaining they can't stand around a table anymore and open up whatever product they want for demonstrations whether or not sales result, that they have to now follow standardized and engineered processes that have measurable results and expectations, and that they no longer can pass the company checkbook around like a joint at a Grateful Dead concert. There was no real substance to the accusations of the employees. I do wonder if the bad attitude and lack of cooperation in general led to the overly bland standardization of the recipes and such; that the employees wouldn't help the "greater good" of the company because of their overgrown egos. It's sad to see what has happened to Whole Foods.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: July 10th, 2023, 2:57 pm

I do not believe that Amazon has been as "hands on" as we might think at WFM. The direct Amazon changes are: adding online ordering through Amazon, moving delivery to Amazon employees, accepting Amazon returns, installing Amazon lockers, and using Prime service for discounts. Some stores getting Just Walk Out and Dash Carts. That's it.

But I firmly believe the most dangerous threat to the company has been the labor issues that erupted from efforts to modernize operations. I agree with the workers that some changes were too drastic like 100% standardization of all prepared foods to corporate recipes and elimination of store level autonomy for those areas. If the standard recipes were of the quality of some of the Chef driven originals then it would be fine, but the stuff they brought in is flavorless and expensive junk that looks like it was rejected by the Walmart Deli QA dept. But the rest needed to be done, some jobs did need to be changed and eliminated, systems like planograms and automatic ordering were needed. These employees went public in news stories and so badly damaged the reputation of the onetime premium Whole Foods brand that it may never recover. When reporters asked probing questions to gather details they just weren't there - complaining they can't stand around a table anymore and open up whatever product they want for demonstrations whether or not sales result, that they have to now follow standardized and engineered processes that have measurable results and expectations, and that they no longer can pass the company checkbook around like a joint at a Grateful Dead concert. There was no real substance to the accusations of the employees. I do wonder if the bad attitude and lack of cooperation in general led to the overly bland standardization of the recipes and such; that the employees wouldn't help the "greater good" of the company because of their overgrown egos. It's sad to see what has happened to Whole Foods.
Whole Foods was varying a lot by region on what it did with its fresh departments.

Northern California Whole Foods absolutely stuffed its fresh departments, piled them high, put a ton of labor into prepared foods, and otherwise did a truly outstanding job running what I'd call a "premium quality" supermarket. Deliveries came daily to resupply the stores with the freshest products. Local vendors supplemented it too. Pricing was in many cases lower than or equal to Safeway and that is part of what allowed them to get the market share they have in the bay area. Since Amazon the departments are still stuffed but freshness has suffered, a lot. Quality of fresh bakery, deli, etc. is varying somewhat by store with some doing a lot better than others.

Now recall Wild Oats. Wild Oats was a lot more controlled on its fresh departments. They didn't put much out to begin with. When something was on Wild Buy it was guaranteed to be out of stock after a couple days into the sale. They let stuff sit out until it was literally rotten. Bakery/deli made stuff when they felt like it and that meant very inconsistent selection from day to day and they also didn't seem to like to throw much away. They didn't really use local vendors and whatever came on the truck from their distribution center/wholesaler only came every 3-4 days and freshness was not great. I noticed after being converted from Wild Oats, some Whole Foods Stores specifically in NV, CO, and OK moved to a program where they had lightly stocked perimeters like Wild Oats, but the product freshness was still excellent and at a Whole Foods level.

Now with Amazon it seems like the worst of the two have happened. You have these full perimeters but you have to very closely watch product freshness. Prices seem to be at the highest levels ever. I can still find some excellent quality fresh items at Whole Foods, but before you didn't have to "find" those items- anything you picked up there was going to be excellent quality and of the highest freshness level imaginable. Now it is more of a buyer discretion type of store no different from a typical Kroger or Safeway type of place.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Interesting...................I never witnessed those conditions in Wild Oats in Florida, Colorado or California.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

veteran+ wrote: July 11th, 2023, 8:13 am Interesting...................I never witnessed those conditions in Wild Oats in Florida, Colorado or California.
Was definitely like that in NorCal and in NV, wasn't too impressed with them in Salt Lake City either. Then again they did pull out of NorCal pretty early 00's or even late 90's. They kept Reno after they pulled out of NorCal and it was a very isolated store for them. It was also an undersized store. Currently the Reno 99 Cents Only, built as a Barnes & Noble.