Walgreens Chains Refrigerators Shut

storewanderer

Re: Walgreens Chains Refrigerators Shut

Post by storewanderer »

babs wrote: July 20th, 2023, 9:45 am
buckguy wrote: July 20th, 2023, 4:44 am The Daily Mail isknown in the UK as "The Daily Fail" and it's US website isn't any more credible than its British parent.

As for locked refrigerated cabinets in NYC---I was just there and didn't see them "all over the place", although they did lock up detergent and some other items at the Moynihan train hall location.
Every drug store I went to in Brooklyn was over 70% locked up. The drug stores I went to in Lower Manhattan were simillarily locked up. All the Targets had aisle after aisle locked up, even socks and underwear! There is no other city I have been to where I have seen so much stuff locked up.
That is just like San Francisco.

Wal Mart locks up socks and underwear in Reno now for men. We are in the big leagues now. Chief Wiggum has been dispatched.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

I have to ask how many stores you visited. I was surprised at how much was locked up at Moynihan, but it was nowhere near even half. I've been to NYC three times this year and had to make stops at various Walgreens and CVS stores in different parts of Manhattan.

As for San Francisco, I don't think we've gotten a first hand report of anything since before COVID. Just the stuff circulating on social media. I talk to people who work in downtown SF and it doesn't sound like what one would expect from here. Seattle did not live up to dystopian reports when I was there in February--even places like Pioneer Square *the original skid row) were much worse in the past.

storewanderer wrote: July 20th, 2023, 5:29 pm
buckguy wrote: July 20th, 2023, 4:44 am The Daily Mail isknown in the UK as "The Daily Fail" and it's US website isn't any more credible than its British parent.

As for locked refrigerated cabinets in NYC---I was just there and didn't see them "all over the place", although they did lock up detergent and some other items at the Moynihan train hall location.
Every drug store I went to in Brooklyn was over 70% locked up. The drug stores I went to in Lower Manhattan were simillarily locked up. All the Targets had aisle after aisle locked up, even socks and underwear! There is no other city I have been to where I have seen so much stuff locked up.

Wal Mart locks up socks and underwear in Reno now for men. We are in the big leagues now. Chief Wiggum has been dispatched.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

buckguy wrote: July 21st, 2023, 4:59 am I have to ask how many stores you visited. I was surprised at how much was locked up at Moynihan, but it was nowhere near even half. I've been to NYC three times this year and had to make stops at various Walgreens and CVS stores in different parts of Manhattan.

As for San Francisco, I don't think we've gotten a first hand report of anything since before COVID. Just the stuff circulating on social media. I talk to people who work in downtown SF and it doesn't sound like what one would expect from here. Seattle did not live up to dystopian reports when I was there in February--even places like Pioneer Square *the original skid row) were much worse in the past.

storewanderer wrote: July 20th, 2023, 5:29 pm

I have photos of drug stores and Targets locking up huge chunks of their stores. Duane Read was probably the worst. The other chains didn't seem to lock as much up. I was just in NYC a week ago. Target even had a podium in the center of the store with an employee standing there with a sign that said something to the effect of "I can help you with locked up merchandise". But then place like Whole Foods didn't have anything locked up.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

babs wrote: July 21st, 2023, 8:14 am I have photos of drug stores and Targets locking up huge chunks of their stores. Duane Read was probably the worst. The other chains didn't seem to lock as much up. I was just in NYC a week ago. Target even had a podium in the center of the store with an employee standing there with a sign that said something to the effect of "I can help you with locked up merchandise". But then place like Whole Foods didn't have anything locked up.
Makers sense, since Duane Reade is just Walgreens with a different name ;)
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 8:15 am
babs wrote: July 21st, 2023, 8:14 am I have photos of drug stores and Targets locking up huge chunks of their stores. Duane Read was probably the worst. The other chains didn't seem to lock as much up. I was just in NYC a week ago. Target even had a podium in the center of the store with an employee standing there with a sign that said something to the effect of "I can help you with locked up merchandise". But then place like Whole Foods didn't have anything locked up.
It is sort of a chain reaction. When you have multiple stores close together, if one starts locking stuff up, shoplifters will move on to the next location that doesn't have as much locked yet. So you end up with a lot of stores with a lot of lock up in close proximity. Otherwise you may as well just not lock anything up at all because the theft from the store that locked stuff up just moves to the one a couple blocks away that didn't lock anything up.

Did Whole Foods have any lock up in vitamins? Or perhaps did you observe that category had been drastically downsized?
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 12:31 pm
It is sort of a chain reaction. When you have multiple stores close together, if one starts locking stuff up, shoplifters will move on to the next location that doesn't have as much locked yet. So you end up with a lot of stores with a lot of lock up in close proximity. Otherwise you may as well just not lock anything up at all because the theft from the store that locked stuff up just moves to the one a couple blocks away that didn't lock anything up.

Did Whole Foods have any lock up in vitamins? Or perhaps did you observe that category had been drastically downsized?
I didn't observe anything, since I didn't post it to begin with ;) - I was only adding the part about Duane Reade being Walgreens with a different name :)
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

storewanderer wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 12:31 pm

I didn't specifically go by vitamins so I don't know if they were locked up. But I didn't see anything locked up at Whole Foods. But I did see security guards at the door shaking people down anyone who looked suspicious.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I went to San Francisco this weekend. I walked through downtown and the financial district as well as Pier 39.

It was surprisingly clean and there were not too many homeless people. The touristy areas are very well kept and safe. I did not witness any smash and grab robberies.

Pier 39 was very busy with many tourists from all over the world. It was not packed person to person, but it was pretty crowded in many areas. Business seemed to be doing very well on the weekends.

I even passed by a CVS which did not have tons of stuff locked up. I felt very safe walking around the city and there were many Police officers on motorcycles. In fact, the streets seemed like there were too many police officers on loud motorcycles with sirens blaring responding to something. I even saw police officers walking the streets.

I didn't see any homeless encampments. I did see workers walking around cleaning the streets.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Alpha8472 wrote: July 24th, 2023, 4:19 pm I went to San Francisco this weekend. I walked through downtown and the financial district as well as Pier 39.

It was surprisingly clean and there were not too many homeless people. The touristy areas are very well kept and safe. I did not witness any smash and grab robberies.

Pier 39 was very busy with many tourists from all over the world. It was not packed person to person, but it was pretty crowded in many areas. Business seemed to be doing very well on the weekends.

I even passed by a CVS which did not have tons of stuff locked up. I felt very safe walking around the city and there were many Police officers on motorcycles. In fact, the streets seemed like there were too many police officers on loud motorcycles with sirens blaring responding to something. I even saw police officers walking the streets.

I didn't see any homeless encampments. I did see workers walking around cleaning the streets.
Just how much did the City of San Francisco pay you to say this?

I'm kidding.

A former colleague who is VERY proper and VERY protective of her children (who are adults now) felt that her daughter was safe living in San Francisco. Her daughter doesn't live in the Tenderloin, however.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: July 24th, 2023, 4:19 pm I went to San Francisco this weekend. I walked through downtown and the financial district as well as Pier 39.

As I've been saying once you get away from Union Square area everything is fine... same as it has always been, aside from less activity due to remote work.

The increased or more visible police presence sounds like a new thing though.