Save Mart/Food Maxx Carson City- No Liquor Sales Allowed

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Save Mart/Food Maxx Carson City- No Liquor Sales Allowed

Post by storewanderer »

Not quite sure what happened here but something happened and the 2 Save Mart and 1 Food Maxx in Carson City had to stop selling liquor last week and are supposed to be able to start to sell again on either July 31 or August 1.

Every store has different signs posted and the employees at different stores are giving different reasons for why they can't sell liquor. The first store wouldn't tell me what the reason was and they seemed really miserable about it there; if looks could kill, the look I got from that employee when I asked about it, I'd be dead. Then the customer who came up behind me started asking for help getting into the beer cooler, I didn't stick around to see how the very nasty employee handled him. The next store told me it was due to that Save Mart was sold to new owners (that was over a year ago...?), and the third store told me and also had a memo posted at the checkstand to the effect that they lost their license because the corporate office didn't file required paperwork on time.

Over the years in Carson City many stores have changed ownership and I have never seen liquor sales stopped. Tough to believe Save Mart allowed this to happen. I suspect at Food Maxx and the South Carson City Save Mart, close to 50% of transactions include liquor. These are already very low volume stores. They really cannot afford this sort of situation even if it is temporary.
storewanderer

Re: Save Mart/Food Maxx Carson City- No Liquor Sales Allowed

Post by storewanderer »

Photos
Attachments
H501.jpg
H502.jpg
Scar3.jpg
Scar2.jpg
Scar1.jpg
Ncar4.jpg
Ncar3.jpg
Ncar2.jpg
Ncar1.jpg
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

I'm going to guess they sold liquor to a police officer posing as someone under the age of 21. Many years ago, I was approached by a "teenager" in front of a Rite Aid in San Diego who asked me to buy them liquor. They "forgot" their ID at home. I suggested they go home and walked away. Next time I stopped into the store they were not selling liquor. Now, the practice in San Diego County was to put a huge orange sticker on the front door and at the liquor department stating the liquor license had been suspended. I'm surprised the employees were not required to wear the letter "S" on their chests.

Another possibility is a community group filed a complaint or sued to have the license revoked or not renewed. Courts and licensing boards make some strange decisions when faced with community complaints.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

I wonder if the third employee was right, that they failed to maintain their license paperwork correctly. A suspension for a violation like selling to a minor would only affect one location.
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

ClownLoach wrote: July 23rd, 2023, 3:11 pm I wonder if the third employee was right, that they failed to maintain their license paperwork correctly. A suspension for a violation like selling to a minor would only affect one location.
You are right on the money. This stems from the Save Mart buyout, and Carson City is one of the stricter jurisdictions in the area on alcohol licenses.

https://www.nevadaappeal.com/news/2023/ ... uor-sales/
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Reading the article it sounds like there was a lot of frustration that led to the issue. No idea why this was handled like this given 200+ stores changed ownership in other places for Save Mart and I never heard of anywhere else where this happened.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: July 24th, 2023, 2:13 pm Reading the article it sounds like there was a lot of frustration that led to the issue. No idea why this was handled like this given 200+ stores changed ownership in other places for Save Mart and I never heard of anywhere else where this happened.
Liquor laws are complicated. Deciding to sell liquor means you have made a commitment to understanding and abiding by the laws. Sounds like lazy corporate office management dropped the ball. These local governments make a big deal out of enforcement, because if they didn't they wouldn't have a job. They're always going to find every little screw up. Can't believe a company large wouldn't know this as it's common knowledge.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

ClownLoach wrote: July 24th, 2023, 7:14 pm
storewanderer wrote: July 24th, 2023, 2:13 pm Reading the article it sounds like there was a lot of frustration that led to the issue. No idea why this was handled like this given 200+ stores changed ownership in other places for Save Mart and I never heard of anywhere else where this happened.
Liquor laws are complicated. Deciding to sell liquor means you have made a commitment to understanding and abiding by the laws. Sounds like lazy corporate office management dropped the ball. These local governments make a big deal out of enforcement, because if they didn't they wouldn't have a job. They're always going to find every little screw up. Can't believe a company large wouldn't know this as it's common knowledge.
The other reason local liquor boards make a big deal about licensing requirements is out of concern over community complaints and lawsuits. All it takes is one underage kid getting into an accident and someone sues the store for selling the liquor and the liquor board for lax licensing oversight. Likewise, if a problem (perceived or real) with public drinking or disorderly conduct as a result of alcohol, community groups immediately target liquor sellers and come after liquor boards next. Not saying this is right, but it is the times we live in.

All that being said, it does sound like this liquor board and the county supervisors are being nitpicky and snippy and, as @storewanderer said, were upset that SaveMart didn't follow their rules.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Carson City seems to be getting a bit funny lately on their grocery stores. Not clear what is going on. First they closed Smiths due to the mice thing for what 2 days I guess. A couple weeks after that they posted a nice A health report in the front door of Smiths.

Also knowing how the checkout at Save Mart goes they are the last place I'd expect to sell liquor to anyone underage. They are not very busy and the employees check things very carefully.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Liquor sales are back. Was in a dead Save Mart today and 4 of the 5 other customers in the store were buying liquor.

Business seemed even slower than it used to be, but word seems to be out that they can sell again.