Sears reopening Union Gap, WA and Burbank, CA

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Re: Sears reopening Union Gap, WA and Burbank, CA

Post by submariner »

storewanderer wrote: September 30th, 2023, 1:44 am Strange as I don't think all of the currently operating stores have been fully restocked. You would expect them to get the still open stores restocked before reopening stores?
That's giving Eddie more credit than he deserves :lol:

Burbank also has job listings up as of this past week.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I can't believe they're actually reopening... and why these stores?
Super S

Post by Super S »

This is a completely pointless move. Sears is a dead chain to much of America, and the few remaining stores leave a lot to be desired in every aspect. The private labels Sears once carried can be found elsewhere. And the few remaining full line stores aren't fully stocked.

Just reopening a store isn't going to get people to return, and they will be hesitant buying things like appliances from a store that isn't likely to stick around much longer.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

storewanderer wrote: September 30th, 2023, 12:52 pm I can't believe they're actually reopening... and why these stores?
Many believe it is from odd lease clauses and the stores shouldn't have been closed in the first place. Both stores closed in late 2022, so they haven't been unoccupied long. That's the only reason I can logically see them reopening (kind of like the random 'Kmart' in Miami that is pretty much only there so they can claim tenancy in the building and sublease the rest out)
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

And probably continued control of the Sears/Kmart trademarks. Like Chevron does with the Standard Oil brand by having one Standard-branded gas station in every state that the former Standard Oil of CA/TX/KY operated.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

We will see what the pictures look like when these reopen and what exactly they have to sell.

The Kmart website continues to sell some private label clothing of old Kmart labels Basic Editions, Northwest Territory, and Route 66. I find it interesting they continue to procure these items for only what is it like 5 remaining stores or something? Unless this is old stuff sitting around from 2020 when they shut down the last pieces of the buying operations that supported the full Kmart format.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

storewanderer wrote: October 3rd, 2023, 12:38 am We will see what the pictures look like when these reopen and what exactly they have to sell.

The Kmart website continues to sell some private label clothing of old Kmart labels Basic Editions, Northwest Territory, and Route 66. I find it interesting they continue to procure these items for only what is it like 5 remaining stores or something? Unless this is old stuff sitting around from 2020 when they shut down the last pieces of the buying operations that supported the full Kmart format.
Wonder where they're fulfilling that from...almost want to buy something small to see.
Super S

Post by Super S »

jamcool wrote: October 1st, 2023, 11:41 pm And probably continued control of the Sears/Kmart trademarks. Like Chevron does with the Standard Oil brand by having one Standard-branded gas station in every state that the former Standard Oil of CA/TX/KY operated.
This is part of what I meant by Sears being a dead chain to most of America, and how this is a pointless move. Chevron at least is still doing well.

Not sure the Sears trademark is worth protecting at this point. The Sears name simply does not mean what it once did.
HCal
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by HCal »

Romr123 wrote: October 3rd, 2023, 5:41 am

Wonder where they're fulfilling that from...almost want to buy something small to see.
If you do, please report back!

I bought something from a third party seller on sears.com recently. It got shipped from Amazon :x
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

HCal wrote: October 3rd, 2023, 11:48 pm
Romr123 wrote: October 3rd, 2023, 5:41 am

If you do, please report back!

I bought something from a third party seller on sears.com recently. It got shipped from Amazon :x
Before the downsizing they were fulfilling orders out of the Miami Kmart.

I don't see how the downsized version of the store can do that but maybe it still can.

There was something going on with Sears, appliance parts, and Amazon. I think it was something along the lines of buy an appliance part on Amazon and the orders were being procured out of a Sears warehouse but still shipped through Amazon. I am not sure if that warehouse is still open. It was somewhere back east, possibly PA.