Kroger Switches Store To Self Checkout in Greater Nashville

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. No non-grocery posts.
Alpha8472

Kroger Switches Store To Self Checkout in Greater Nashville

Post by Alpha8472 »

One store has converted to total self checkout with another on its way.

https://drugstorenews.com/kroger-conver ... f-checkout
storewanderer

Re: Kroger Switches Store To Self Checkout in Greater Nashville

Post by storewanderer »

I think they tried this already in the past. Like 5+ years ago. Never saw it expand and unclear what happened to whatever store they did it to.

Albertsons also tried this somewhere last year, I think it may have been in Boise?
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

These are both high end locations. I used to shop at the Hillsboro store on occasion. I'm guessing that both stores have customers who won't like this at all and will take advantage of other stores in the area that don't have this set-up.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

This is my favorite line in the entire article:

The grocer is making the move as a way to meet customer expectations and not in an effort to cut costs, [spokesperson Lauren] Bell told a local Nashville news outlet.

Meeting customer expectations with a 100% self-checkout store, huh? OK, whatever you say, Kroger.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: August 3rd, 2023, 4:46 pm

Meeting customer expectations with a 100% self-checkout store, huh? OK, whatever you say, Kroger.
Kroger embarasses itself with too few checkstands even present in the store as some very busy stores have only 5 checkstands and 16 self checkouts. They often have only one checkstand open so customers who want a regular cashier have to wait in a line that is 3 to 4 or more customets long.

So by no longer embarassing itself with the one open checkstand and long line they can somehow eliminate complaints about long lines. Another fantasic way to eliminate long lines is to upset customers so they quit shopping your store.

For Kroger I do not think this is a big deal. This is Kroger. For Albertsons who did it also I think it is a much bigger problem.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

One of the local Fry's stores has implemented a couple of self-checkouts with a conveyor in addition to several staffed checkout lanes, which at least one Jewel-Osco (Algonquin, IL - my disabled dad used it and loved it) has had for at least the last fifteen years. That's a fine idea. This nonsense of eliminating staffed checkouts is going to fall flat on its face.

Maybe Phoenix is an outlier, but the Safeway self-checkout is designed very well. My local store has two rows of three, with the customers checking out between the rows. They could use more of them, but there is nowhere to put them in such a small store. However, when the store is busy (which is pretty much most of the time) all of the staffed and self-checkouts are open and there is still a line. The next closest store is bigger and has at least ten (maybe twelve) self-checkouts and opens all of the staffed checkouts (seven or nine, I think) when the store is busy. If the merger goes through, these stores won't become Fry's and that's a good thing. I'd rather not see them Krogerized. I'd be OK if they were Bashaed.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Safeway NorCal is lucky to have 6 self checkouts in a store. Many stores just have 4. Very very few stores have 8. Slowly they have gotten 6 self checkouts into many stores but it wasn't easy. There is little to no space for lines to form with the layout.

I've never seen a Safeway with every register open.

Safeway also no longer is offering hand baskets at least at one of the Reno stores because I guess the baskets were stolen or something and they can't order more (must be on the Kroger store supply plan already- the plan that doesn't let you order needed supplies like rugs etc. very easily), so now self checkout is a mess with more carts than before and traffic flow is seriously impacted.

Basha's won't be able to handle the business level you are describing in AZ Safeway units.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

rwsandiego wrote: August 3rd, 2023, 4:46 pm This is my favorite line in the entire article:

The grocer is making the move as a way to meet customer expectations and not in an effort to cut costs, [spokesperson Lauren] Bell told a local Nashville news outlet.

People believe that crap all the time.

:lol:
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

But it is faster, more convenient, easier, bigger, better, new, more efficient, you are in control, improved, fun, top rated, the latest rage, trending..........................................I'm sure I left some descriptives out.

And most of us believe it.

I always look forward to watching people struggle, take their sweet time, try to check out BIG orders and bag, watch every item they ring for pricing and specials, have tons of coupons, failing to ring up items (intentionally or not), study their receipts, struggle with paying, 2 or more customers together at the same terminal just chatting and more.

Love it................................. :x

And all the space this nonsense requires that could be better used for increasing sales per square foot or just more checkout lanes WITH cashiers. But what do I know with my almost 30 years of experience from the bottom to just shy of C-Suite?

🤷‍♂️

P.S. Let the rationalizing begin............................ ;)
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

There are many tiny Safeway stores in the distant affluent suburbs of San Francisco that never received self checkout. They have no room. These stores do fine and there are always cashiers available. You might have to ring a bell late at night, but the cashier responds quickly. These little stores even have grocery baggers still. I cannot even imagine what would happen if they converted to total self checkout.

There are many loyal senior citizens who shop at these stores. It would be a mess.