ALDI to acquire Winn-Dixie

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: ALDI to acquire Winn-Dixie

Post by storewanderer »

mbz321 wrote: March 16th, 2024, 5:35 pm

There was a post I saw on Reddit the other day calling out Aldi ice cream as having big ingredient changes with more cheap fillers added in, and of course with the price staying the same. It's a bit disappointing for a company that was once striving towards selling less processed items.
The ice cream category is doing a lot of strange stuff lately.

More and more products even in brands like Dryers/Edys and Breyers are "frozen dairy dessert" and not ice cream. A lot of Kroger's private label ice cream is also now "frozen dairy dessert." It seems the flavors that have the most mix-ins are often "frozen dairy dessert" now.

Some brands still seem to be all ice cream no matter what flavor you pick- Signature Select is one of those last I checked but it has been a while since I haven't liked most of what I've bought, so is Thrifty, so are regionals like Tillamook and Umpqua.

Also last summer I may or may not have posted this here but I went to Sonic somewhere out of town and they had a 1.99 Small Milkshake Promotion. I took a Strawberry Shake and very much enjoyed it. A few weeks later I went to Sonic in Reno and ordered another of those shakes. It was terrible- airy, tasted like flat sugar water, and just terrible. I couldn't figure it out. It turns out, between the timing of my first and second visits, Sonic made a change in the milkfat concent of its soft serve product. They previously used something that had the amount of milkfat needed to qualify as "ice cream" but then late last summer switched to something with less milkfat so no longer qualifies as "ice cream."