Kohl's Opening 45 Sephora Stores This Year

Predicting the demise of Sears & Kmart since 2017!
Alpha8472

Kohl's Opening 45 Sephora Stores This Year

Post by Alpha8472 »

Kohl's is opening up 45 Sephora shops this Fall in September to October.

I visited my local Kohl's Saturday evening and saw a bright illuminated Sephora sign on the building.The 750 square foot Sephora shop had a very distinctive black and white decor. It had 3 walls and was very well stocked. There were also no customers. The entire store seemed very dead with only a few customers.

There were 2 people doing their Amazon returns, but I doubt they were going to buy anything.

Staples is now giving out coupons when you do Amazon returns at Staples. They are trying to compete with Kohl's. Whole Foods does Amazon returns, but you don't get a coupon for anything.

I found Kohl's to be high priced and quite boring. Nothing was particularly interesting and nothing stood out. I did see some Halloween decorations and Christmas decorations. It was very limited and not what I would want to buy.

https://chainstoreage.com/forty-five-ne ... eres-where
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Kohl's Opening 45 Sephora Stores This Year

Post by rwsandiego »

Alpha8472 wrote: September 12th, 2023, 11:27 pm Kohl's is opening up 45 Sephora shops this Fall in September to October.

I visited my local Kohl's Saturday evening and saw a bright illuminated Sephora sign on the building.The 750 square foot Sephora shop had a very distinctive black and white decor. It had 3 walls and was very well stocked. There were also no customers. The entire store seemed very dead with only a few customers.

There were 2 people doing their Amazon returns, but I doubt they were going to buy anything.

Staples is now giving out coupons when you do Amazon returns at Staples. They are trying to compete with Kohl's. Whole Foods does Amazon returns, but you don't get a coupon for anything.

I found Kohl's to be high priced and quite boring. Nothing was particularly interesting and nothing stood out. I did see some Halloween decorations and Christmas decorations. It was very limited and not what I would want to buy.

https://chainstoreage.com/forty-five-ne ... eres-where
That was my experience the last time I visited a Kohls. Their merchandise used to be comparable to Macy's, albeit priced higher (so they could hand out coupons and Kohl's Cash). Now, it's higher-priced Target merchandise without the buzz one finds at Target.
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by mbz321 »

rwsandiego wrote: September 14th, 2023, 5:05 pm That was my experience the last time I visited a Kohls. Their merchandise used to be comparable to Macy's, albeit priced higher (so they could hand out coupons and Kohl's Cash). Now, it's higher-priced Target merchandise without the buzz one finds at Target.
While I don't find Kohl's to be particularly exciting (and not sure if Sephora has really helped any), the stores in my area are well-stocked with a decent selection, organized, and fairly tidy. The Macy's and few JCPenney's in my area are void of merchandise, messy displays (even worse in the Backstage area), and stores that physically appear to be poorly maintained. The clothing selection of Target has been a joke the past several years and the prices are about equal to Kohl's inflated non-coupon pricing.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

I have noticed that Macy's is really messy these days. Their stores used to be perfect kept and employees would run up and ask if you needed help.

Now, it is by pure luck if you even see any employees on the floor away from a register.

Most customers at Macy's seem to shop mostly at the Back Stage or Last Call areas. The full priced areas are not popular at all. I saw some bargains, but everything was thrown all over. There was one cashier and a very long slow line.

The store still had the vintage Emporium Capwell decor. Macy's never really remodeled any of the Emporium stores they took over, except for a repaint here and there.

I was in the restroom and the marble walls were aging and the plumbing looked like it was rusting. Perhaps it was the original 60s era bathroom fixtures.

Kohl's was neat and orderly, but then again there were very few customers to mess it up.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Alpha8472 wrote: September 14th, 2023, 10:45 pm I have noticed that Macy's is really messy these days. Their stores used to be perfect kept and employees would run up and ask if you needed help.

Now, it is by pure luck if you even see any employees on the floor away from a register.

Most customers at Macy's seem to shop mostly at the Back Stage or Last Call areas. The full priced areas are not popular at all. I saw some bargains, but everything was thrown all over. There was one cashier and a very long slow line.

The store still had the vintage Emporium Capwell decor. Macy's never really remodeled any of the Emporium stores they took over, except for a repaint here and there.

I was in the restroom and the marble walls were aging and the plumbing looked like it was rusting. Perhaps it was the original 60s era bathroom fixtures.

Kohl's was neat and orderly, but then again there were very few customers to mess it up.
Off topic, but Macy's is horribly inconsistent from store to store. Neighborhood and demographics have nothing to do with it either. When they had two stores in Santa Barbara, one of the richest areas on the West Coast, both stores had standards below Ross/Kmart/Big Lots worst. Hundreds of articles of clothing literally on the floor. Completely scrambled racks. Impossible to shop. They consolidated to one and it's just as bad. Some stores are beautifully merchandised and packed with product like South Coast Plaza. Others are well recovered but look like they're having a sale on floor tile and drywall like Mission Viejo which spans two buildings and probably could all fit in the first floor of the smaller Mens/Children's building. Last time I visited the Fashion Show Mall men's store in Las Vegas on the strip it was not only immaculate but a spectacular store - it's only a few years old inside, great lighting and fixtures, and abundant selection and sizing.

I feel like there is absolutely no field leadership whatsoever at Macy's which explains the wildly inconsistent standards. Their Toys R Us line seems to be fading into the sunset as well. Lots of unsold Melissa and Doug kids stuff, but they never bought any more Lego after blowing it out in the first few weeks... Meanwhile Costco and Sam's Club now each have about ten pallets of new model sets discounted 20%.

Kohl's has started to try to add color back to the stores and seems to be installing wall graphics to cover the blank spaces where they brought all inventory down to arms reach. But they still have bad pricing on brand names and exclude coupons on pretty much anything but private label. I did notice my local stores have gone back to using both doors again, I figure by the holidays they'll swing back to one way in and out yet again since they can't make up their minds.