Dick's closing Moosejaw stores

buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Dick's closing Moosejaw stores

Post by buckguy »

Dick's will close all but 3 of the stores and merge the business into its Public Lands chain

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/busin ... 932227007/

Moosejaw used to be owned by Walmart--They paid $51M in 2011. I couldn't find anything regarding what Dick's paid for Moosejaw last February. Moosejaw lost some of their suppliers after Walmart bought them. Dick's probably just wanted their e-Commerce customers.
storewanderer

Re: Dick's closing Moosejaw stores

Post by storewanderer »

buckguy wrote: September 24th, 2023, 8:32 am Dick's will close all but 3 of the stores and merge the business into its Public Lands chain

Moosejaw used to be owned by Walmart--They paid $51M in 2011. I couldn't find anything regarding what Dick's paid for Moosejaw last February. Moosejaw lost some of their suppliers after Walmart bought them. Dick's probably just wanted their e-Commerce customers.
This probably makes sense. I never even heard Wal Mart owned this.

Did Moosejaw get any of those lost suppliers back after Dick's bought them? Or did it just get worse under Dick's? Interesting to close the stores so quickly but Dick's focus isn't on these types of formats anymore. Almost like they took Moosejaw just so some competitor wouldn't.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Dick's closing Moosejaw stores

Post by buckguy »

storewanderer wrote: September 24th, 2023, 11:41 pm
buckguy wrote: September 24th, 2023, 8:32 am Dick's will close all but 3 of the stores and merge the business into its Public Lands chain

This probably makes sense. I never even heard Wal Mart owned this.

Did Moosejaw get any of those lost suppliers back after Dick's bought them? Or did it just get worse under Dick's? Interesting to close the stores so quickly but Dick's focus isn't on these types of formats anymore. Almost like they took Moosejaw just so some competitor wouldn't.
The suppliers they lost under Walmart have come back, perhaps because they also supply product to Dick's. Moosejaw had a loyalty program meant to compete with REI's co-op rebate program. The data associated with that was probably the big attraction here. So far, Dick's Public Lands chain just has a handful of stores, mostly in big box-type locations.