Lowe's Invests In Employees & Has Lower Theft

ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Lowe's Invests In Employees & Has Lower Theft

Post by ClownLoach »

submariner wrote: September 26th, 2023, 10:36 pm
Alpha8472 wrote: September 25th, 2023, 10:30 pm Lowe's even pays their employees more than the other chains. All of this makes theft below the industry standard.
Not in my recent research. For a Part Time Cashier in San Dimas, CA, Lowe's advertises $15.50 - $18.60 per hour. In nearby Glendora, CA, Home Depot offers $18.50 – $19.50 for the same Part Time Cashier position.

I can't say with any authority how employees are generally treated (and to be honest, that can vary a lot from store to store), but I'd say Lowe's wages are competitive, rather than more.
There are a few unincorporated spots around there. If that Glendora location is on unincorporated land then it's subject to the higher wage LA County has implemented, I think they have to raise it to $20 very soon. Also don't know what HRIS system Lowe's is using but could have an effect on the rates shown; many companies are struggling to adapt their systems to these new California salary transparency laws. Could be that Lowe's only hires at the top end of that range to be competitive. Right now I wouldn't trust any retail website as I've seen some other companies where a Supervisor and a Cashier both start at $15.50 on the listing, but then they link to a downloadable PDF with the real rates.

Something has changed at Home Depot recently for the worse. If I recall they changed the CEO less than two years ago? This is about the time where new CEO changes really kick into effect. Their employees look pissed off and angry. The stores have never had less staffing. High shrink stores being forced to eliminate self checkout without changing the payroll, staffing or even registers so now cashiers are ringing up on self check counters that are less ergonomic and feeding cash into a bill recycler (this is over a year now, and HD just installed traditional register number lamps on these former self checkouts a few weeks ago to replace the store-painted signs). They were following the Walmart model the last few years with a knowledgeable, friendly employee at the door handing you a basket and answering questions - that has been discontinued. Garden center gate hours aren't followed at all and basically it opens or closes whenever they feel like it which is a bloody inconvenience if you were there for garden and parked nearby, loaded up your cart with plants and potting soil only to suddenly hear the gate slam shut and now you have to walk all the way to the opposite end to pay, then all the way back to your car again with your heavy plant cart. I'm seeing stores where the employees are blowing right past customers looking for help, snapping "I've got to go help someone else" without missing a step and not calling for help since they're the only one on a 150,000 Sq ft sales floor.

But the big thing is that Home Depot is losing the professional brands, and very fast. They apparently have an initiative to replace as many brands as possible with private label, which I think is a very bad idea especially when you're talking about trades where the professional people are very unwilling to change brands and will leave them over it.

Most recent are the loss of Klein Tools, which is basically saying that they're no longer interested in any professional electrician business. Klein has moved to Lowe's. I mentioned Spax which is a fastener company that makes the nastiest, sharpest, strongest screws I've ever seen, like a spinning chainsaw. Moved to Lowe's. I know they changed out most of the faucet repair aisle and parts to private labels so now you can't get the exact faucet cartridges anymore and have to settle for a third party. Basically turning your $250 Kohler or Moen into the same exact faucet as the $59 HD Cheapo brand. I've read many comments from very upset employees complaining that they're being told to fill dozens of shopping carts with brand name products, render them destroyed and throw them in the trash compactor, then reset the planogram with HD private label equivalents. At least you'd think they would donate it to Habitat for Humanity, like they do with seasonal leftovers.

Nobody I'm aware of is looking for Home Depot to move to a lower quality product line. Have you ever seen the junk they pass off as hardware and tools at Walmart? These new private label HD items aren't much better.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

There is a large customer segment that does not need the highest quality tools. This is why chains like Harbor Freight are so successful. What I don't like about what Home Depot is doing is they seem to be trying to move to more private label, but the prices still look like the type of prices you'd see on brand name items. Wal Mart isn't even in the tool business; tonight when I was there shopping a customer wanted something off the locked tool aisles and asked 3 employees stocking nearby and none of them had keys (there were a bunch of unstocked boxes thrown all over the tool aisle so maybe that was true); the customer asked what he should do and one of the employees told him to walk over to customer service and maybe someone could help him there. Joke was on him- customer service was dark/closed. Not sure what happened.

Both Lowes and Home Depot have been increasing prices like wild. It is not unusual for me to find better prices at Ace, and Ace is not known to have good prices, it is just that they are not as efficient at increasing prices as these two large chains are. There is a plumbing part I occasionally would buy at Lowes, it is just a piece of plastic, in 2015 it cost 2.48; in 2022 they discontinued the item and by that point they had it priced at 5.98 (then clearanced it somewhere in the 2's, so I bought the few that were left); same SKU from same manufacturer.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: September 28th, 2023, 12:07 am There is a large customer segment that does not need the highest quality tools. This is why chains like Harbor Freight are so successful. What I don't like about what Home Depot is doing is they seem to be trying to move to more private label, but the prices still look like the type of prices you'd see on brand name items. Wal Mart isn't even in the tool business; tonight when I was there shopping a customer wanted something off the locked tool aisles and asked 3 employees stocking nearby and none of them had keys (there were a bunch of unstocked boxes thrown all over the tool aisle so maybe that was true); the customer asked what he should do and one of the employees told him to walk over to customer service and maybe someone could help him there. Joke was on him- customer service was dark/closed. Not sure what happened.

Both Lowes and Home Depot have been increasing prices like wild. It is not unusual for me to find better prices at Ace, and Ace is not known to have good prices, it is just that they are not as efficient at increasing prices as these two large chains are. There is a plumbing part I occasionally would buy at Lowes, it is just a piece of plastic, in 2015 it cost 2.48; in 2022 they discontinued the item and by that point they had it priced at 5.98 (then clearanced it somewhere in the 2's, so I bought the few that were left); same SKU from same manufacturer.
No actual electrician would be caught dead using Harbor Freight tools. They'd actually be dead from getting electrocuted. The Klein tools example is only one of many. Harbor Freight serves a good purpose, they help the customer save money on tools that will only receive occasional use. Most professionals have dozens of tools that might only get used once per month each, and they can save real money with Harbor Freight. But the everyday use items? They're going to go for the big high quality brands every time. It's the same reason why Orange and Blue have basic house brand tools and premium brands.

My point is that Home Depot is trying to become like Harbor Freight in every single aisle with more and more private label merchandise replacing the premium brand names. This doesn't go with the Home Depot brand image which always has stood for good quality. The issues I'm seeing are switches to no-name fasteners (do you want a house held together with no-name nails and screws? No you don't!), plumbing parts, cleaning supplies, and more. I don't mind private label, but I do object to the removal of the brand name option especially when I find that they literally threw the brand names into a trash compactor to replace with their own. Like I said, if I spent $200 on a fancy kitchen faucet and then I replace the cartridge with a cheap plastic airator that's the same as the $50 faucet now I'm losing value. And the prices aren't any lower, so now the big brands are moving to Lowe's and charging the same price but you get higher quality. One of Lowe's worst problems was the lack of quality tool brands, but the Klein move is a game changer and foreshadows more brands with top reputations potentially switching from Orange to Blue.

ACE is only as good as the franchisee, just like fast food. I used to shop at a hole in the wall ACE in Long Beach that was amazing. Tiny store which had merchandise on every surface to the rafters. It was as if they studied local buildings and magically had every oddball and non standard hardware piece used in local construction, it was as if they deliberately merchandised that location to only carry items Blue and Orange didn't. Now I live near a beautiful ACE that looks like a modern, spread out big box store, about 30K square feet and probably 40 aisles of product. The in stock is terrible, some aisles barely have 50% of the items in stock. Recovery looks like that Reno Target you post pictures of. Prices are sky high and most of the employees are clueless. The store is a waste of space and I don't know how they stay in business. No other ACE for 30+ mile radius either. They also ignore ACE corporate advertised promotions and don't post the signs, like their "bucket sale" they do annually for charity where you buy the bucket and everything that fits inside is discounted 25%. They'll honor it if you bring it to their attention and then they get very pissy about it. There are too many extremes in the ACE operations; I am aware they're hiring corporate District Managers now to provide guidance and direction but the stores are independently owned so I don't know how the DM would hold them accountable.
Super S

Post by Super S »

storewanderer wrote: September 28th, 2023, 12:07 am There is a large customer segment that does not need the highest quality tools. This is why chains like Harbor Freight are so successful. What I don't like about what Home Depot is doing is they seem to be trying to move to more private label, but the prices still look like the type of prices you'd see on brand name items. Wal Mart isn't even in the tool business; tonight when I was there shopping a customer wanted something off the locked tool aisles and asked 3 employees stocking nearby and none of them had keys (there were a bunch of unstocked boxes thrown all over the tool aisle so maybe that was true); the customer asked what he should do and one of the employees told him to walk over to customer service and maybe someone could help him there. Joke was on him- customer service was dark/closed. Not sure what happened.

Home Depot is doing this in other areas of the stores also. I went in tonight to purchase some light bulbs, and they have completely eliminated the brands such as Philips and GE, instead offering Feit Electric (which I have had VERY bad luck with) and their store brand called Ecosmart. Home Depot still offers Philips online, but a store that big should not require you to go online for a name brand light bulb.

I used to prefer Home Depot, but lately I have started to shift toward Lowe's for some things. Lowe's still needs to do better in the front end though.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Super S wrote: October 17th, 2023, 7:14 pm

Home Depot is doing this in other areas of the stores also. I went in tonight to purchase some light bulbs, and they have completely eliminated the brands such as Philips and GE, instead offering Feit Electric (which I have had VERY bad luck with) and their store brand called Ecosmart. Home Depot still offers Philips online, but a store that big should not require you to go online for a name brand light bulb.

I used to prefer Home Depot, but lately I have started to shift toward Lowe's for some things. Lowe's still needs to do better in the front end though.
Home Depot seems to have decided customers do not care so much about brands anymore. This may be okay if the quality is good but it is sounding like there are quality issues. At that point why not just go buy at Wal Mart (it is a lot cheaper for like items than Home Depot is if you can find what you need/find someone to unlock the cases...)?

As I've said for years I try Home Depot first but often end up at Lowe's because Home Depot doesn't have what I need but Lowe's does. At the end of the day I just want to get what I need to fix whatever the issue at hand is. Also in both chains finding merchandise is absolute hell- so difficult.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Philips is just a licensed brand today, like GE, so it doesn't register as a "big brand" anymore. It's funny that you mention Feit because I found they are the best quality light bulb in newer construction homes, and compatible with the most dimmer switches. The only brand that worked with the latest model of Lutron groundless dimmer switch was Feit, everything else I tried flashed violently like a strobe. All other brands of can light retrofit kits also had a pale flicker and hum on top of a higher price. I've replaced my engine house with Feit brand and the default color temperature is perfectly warm but not yellow. And why is this?

Because a modern LED bulb is basically a lighting device with a microprocessor and heatsink inside, the fact is that the type of fixture and wiring in the home will absolutely affect the light level, lifespan of bulb, and refresh rate (hertz aka flickering level). The compatibility is not 100% which is a significant difference between old fashioned incandescent and these modern bulbs. The other thing I would mention is that the absolute newest LED bulbs manufactured in the last 18 months or so have superior performance and compatibility.

So if you tried Feit before and it didn't work, pick up a box of the new adjustable color temperature switched bulbs at Costco and try them again (not Wi-Fi bulbs). You'll be pleasantly surprised about how good these are and possibly better than older models from other brands.

The power savings are real and amazing, plus I haven't had to change a light bulb since I changed out my entire new house including retrofitting 36 can light fixtures with the Feit LEDs.
Super S

Post by Super S »

ClownLoach wrote: October 18th, 2023, 12:25 am

Philips is just a licensed brand today, like GE, so it doesn't register as a "big brand" anymore. It's funny that you mention Feit because I found they are the best quality light bulb in newer construction homes, and compatible with the most dimmer switches. The only brand that worked with the latest model of Lutron groundless dimmer switch was Feit, everything else I tried flashed violently like a strobe. All other brands of can light retrofit kits also had a pale flicker and hum on top of a higher price. I've replaced my engine house with Feit brand and the default color temperature is perfectly warm but not yellow. And why is this?

Because a modern LED bulb is basically a lighting device with a microprocessor and heatsink inside, the fact is that the type of fixture and wiring in the home will absolutely affect the light level, lifespan of bulb, and refresh rate (hertz aka flickering level). The compatibility is not 100% which is a significant difference between old fashioned incandescent and these modern bulbs. The other thing I would mention is that the absolute newest LED bulbs manufactured in the last 18 months or so have superior performance and compatibility.

So if you tried Feit before and it didn't work, pick up a box of the new adjustable color temperature switched bulbs at Costco and try them again (not Wi-Fi bulbs). You'll be pleasantly surprised about how good these are and possibly better than older models from other brands.

The power savings are real and amazing, plus I haven't had to change a light bulb since I changed out my entire new house including retrofitting 36 can light fixtures with the Feit LEDs.
I have an older house where I have existing Edison base fixtures and a few T8 fluorescent fixtures which I installed 18 years ago. The Feit bulbs I have tried, whether CFL or LED, all lasted about as long as an incandescent bulb. I have had good luck with Philips, no failures at all yet.

I am not a fan of the newer integrated LED fixtures though, where if the LEDs fail you have to replace the whole fixture instead of just a bulb. It will be difficult to find replacement fixtures that match when those fail.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

Time to get back on topic...
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: October 17th, 2023, 11:45 pm

Home Depot seems to have decided customers do not care so much about brands anymore. This may be okay if the quality is good but it is sounding like there are quality issues. At that point why not just go buy at Wal Mart (it is a lot cheaper for like items than Home Depot is if you can find what you need/find someone to unlock the cases...)?

As I've said for years I try Home Depot first but often end up at Lowe's because Home Depot doesn't have what I need but Lowe's does. At the end of the day I just want to get what I need to fix whatever the issue at hand is. Also in both chains finding merchandise is absolute hell- so difficult.
Both Home Depot and Lowe's have excellent apps to help you locate the exact coordinates of the items you want, aisle 14 bay 7 etc., but then the steel racking means there is zero cell reception and they don't provide customer Wi-Fi.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

ClownLoach wrote: October 18th, 2023, 2:09 pm

Both Home Depot and Lowe's have excellent apps to help you locate the exact coordinates of the items you want, aisle 14 bay 7 etc., but then the steel racking means there is zero cell reception and they don't provide customer Wi-Fi.
Lowes app has been wrong multiple times, items are just not in the bay described...

Did they eliminate wi-fi? They used to have wi-fi in the store. I can still get reception in the store in Reno (old Eagle) but in Sparks it is pretty spotty (store built by Lowes).

Even Dollar General has customer wi-fi.