Sak N Save (Raleys) Closing Reno, NV

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
lexifer

Re: Sak N Save (Raleys) Closing Reno, NV

Post by lexifer »

Raley's apparently didnt leave at will, and were actually kicked out. Probably due to their extreme neglect of the property.

https://www.2news.com/news/sak-n-save-t ... 2c8c8.html

"The Sak 'N Save was operating under a short-term lease and we recently received notification the landlord exercised their right to terminate the lease. The store will close on Saturday, November 4. All employees have been offered roles in nearby grocery stores. Sak 'N Save wants to thank our customers who have shopped with us."
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

lexifer wrote: November 5th, 2023, 2:08 am Raley's apparently didnt leave at will, and were actually kicked out. Probably due to their extreme neglect of the property.

https://www.2news.com/news/sak-n-save-t ... 2c8c8.html

"The Sak 'N Save was operating under a short-term lease and we recently received notification the landlord exercised their right to terminate the lease. The store will close on Saturday, November 4. All employees have been offered roles in nearby grocery stores. Sak 'N Save wants to thank our customers who have shopped with us."
El Super filed permits a day or two after Sak N Save was notified of closure. $3 million remodel and downsizing of the store is coming. My suspicion is El Super signed a long term lease, and perhaps agreed to pay the same price for less space. I will be interested to see what happens to the space El Super does not use. The Sak N Save building is very odd. There is a rock climbing facility on that building, then at the back northwest side of the building there is a dog training school in a rather large space. I think in the 80's there was a little quasi shopping mall type thing with a dozen or so spaces in a single hallway in that space where the rock climbing/dog training is (that odd little mall was entered from the space that is now a T-Mobile or Metro PCS store).

Raleys seems to be having some tough lease situations lately. They didn't want to leave the South Lake Tahoe Stateline store either but the landlord went with Target instead.

The Sak N Save employees all got transferred to other Raleys units. This is different from when the Food Source in Reno closed and they largely terminated everyone, though that was COVID, with those extra Federal benefits for unemployment, so maybe that was a better deal for the employees. That also enabled the IGA operator to pick up some of the Food Source employees to attempt to run his store, and he got some good manager/front end employees that way but pretty much all of the fresh department employees at Food Source just took unemployment and eventually got jobs elsewhere.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Got behind on uploading photos. Some more from part way through in the closing sale.

Can't wait to see what this looks like once El Super is done with it.

Removed photos due to Board Attachment Upload error- these photos took too much space..
Last edited by storewanderer on January 31st, 2024, 10:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

@storewanderer, did not get a chance to take a picture of the signage out front of the building, but it looked like a fairly substantial remodel of the front of the building. They’re also building a Starbucks in the parking lot, I think this is a drive-thru only location.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

bryceleinan wrote: November 10th, 2023, 9:29 pm @storewanderer, did not get a chance to take a picture of the signage out front of the building, but it looked like a fairly substantial remodel of the front of the building. They’re also building a Starbucks in the parking lot, I think this is a drive-thru only location.
Looking at the permit it looks like El Super is taking 51k square feet and the landlord is dealing with the remainder of the space (their permit says 50k square feet but I don't think Sak N Save was 100k square feet but maybe the backrooms were large; it did have a completely separate loading dock and back room for produce and the meat room was also massive) and dividing up the electrical/HVAC/etc. between El Super and some other future tenant(s).

Hopefully El Super can open in a few months. I have no idea how they'll staff their store. They need to get started on that now.
lexifer

Post by lexifer »

Yeah,when I looked at the floor plan for El Super, it showed the were only going to be using one out of the set of entrance doors Sac N Save used. I just hope they have decent prices, otherwise, no one will go. Winco is way too close to have bad prices.
They have the remaining floor space of what was Sac N Save up for lease, along with another sliver next to one of the mobile stores, from what I could tell.
lexifer

Post by lexifer »

bryceleinan wrote: November 10th, 2023, 9:29 pm @storewanderer, did not get a chance to take a picture of the signage out front of the building, but it looked like a fairly substantial remodel of the front of the building. They’re also building a Starbucks in the parking lot, I think this is a drive-thru only location.
The facade was definitely cleaned up, but the inside still looked like an abandoned building when I went by a few days ago. The sign said summer 2024 for both Starbucks and El Super to be completed.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

lexifer wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 7:59 pm Yeah,when I looked at the floor plan for El Super, it showed the were only going to be using one out of the set of entrance doors Sac N Save used. I just hope they have decent prices, otherwise, no one will go. Winco is way too close to have bad prices.
They have the remaining floor space of what was Sac N Save up for lease, along with another sliver next to one of the mobile stores, from what I could tell.
El Super will have low priced "small" size produce and various low priced meat. The center store items that are imported from Mexico will also be priced low. Other center store items, the limited assortment offered, will not be priced very competitively. Also expect a substantial bakery and food service operation.

It will be interesting to see how they source dairy as there is no local supplier that can get them decent dairy pricing. They will probably truck it from SoCal with the rest of their stuff.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Was over by Sak N Save this morning. Was surprised to see the exterior signs all still up. Typically when a non-bankrupt chain closes a store they take the signs down. Not sure what the deal is with Raleys, or their attitude about this Sak N Save unit in general. Maybe since it was the only store using the name Sak N Save they don't care about the name and have no further plans to use the name so they just left the signs up. Maybe they weren't their signs to begin with since Scolaris ran the store under the name too. Just odd the signs aren't down.
bryceleinan
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by bryceleinan »

storewanderer wrote: December 15th, 2023, 8:27 pm Was over by Sak N Save this morning. Was surprised to see the exterior signs all still up. Typically when a non-bankrupt chain closes a store they take the signs down. Not sure what the deal is with Raleys, or their attitude about this Sak N Save unit in general. Maybe since it was the only store using the name Sak N Save they don't care about the name and have no further plans to use the name so they just left the signs up. Maybe they weren't their signs to begin with since Scolaris ran the store under the name too. Just odd the signs aren't down.
I’m guessing they’re going to re-face the existing sign, which doesn’t require the permit hassles taking down and reinstalling a new sign does. They’ll normally flip them in that case though. I think the pics of the inside said all you needed to say about Raley’s.