Eddie Bauer dumbs down logo for GenZ

buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Eddie Bauer dumbs down logo for GenZ

Post by buckguy »

Eddie Bauer has been bought and sold numerous times. They haven't been primarily mail order since the late 60s and then used mail order more for the camping lines, while the stores emphasized apparel. An older friend worked at a store on L St in DC in the early 70s where the employees referred to it as "Eddie Bow-wow", so the effort at being a "lifestyle" somewhat upscale brand was around for quite awhile, although they continued to sponsor and outfit expeditions for ahile afterward. They tried getting back to their roots after General Mills sold them to Speigel, but by then it was probably too late.

There are numerous outdoor brands in their old pricing range and most of them are more innovative or have been able to cultivate and keep a niche like climbing. Even North Face, which is no longer much of an innovator under VF (which used to own Lee and Wrangler and now owns mostly second string outdoor brands like Eastpak,) seems to be surviving with more of its reputation intact than Bauer.
Brian Lutz
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by Brian Lutz »

I remember back in the 90s they got into furniture (Eddie Bauer Home, basically their attempt at Pottery Barn) and men's dress wear (AKA Eddie Bauer) but neither of those lasted very long.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

rwsandiego wrote: October 10th, 2023, 10:14 pm I was a very, very long-term customer (almost 40 years, starting when I was 16) and even worked there in the mid-1990's and early 2000's. Even back then, they made serious missteps. We started calling them "Eddie Gap." The days of superior quality are long behind them. The last time I looked at their website, I couldn't find anything I wanted to buy. To me, the quality is the same as Columbia, but the styling is crap. It's not that the style is too young for me, it's that boxy cuts, weird color combinations, and zero contemporary features don't have any style.

They were one of the few companies that sold tall sizes in outerwear that were not necessarily big, which is what snared me as a customer. Sadly, their bad choices in color, style, and prints lost me as a customer.

They lost their way several years ago.
Columbia quality far exceeds the modern Eddie Bauer. (*except made for Outlet goods)

Columbia has been aggressively researching and designing new materials and fillers. They have superior waterproofing that is still breathable, thin and lightweight jackets that are incredibly warm when needed but won't "roast" you in moderate temperatures, and attractive design. Whatever you want (and don't want) in outerwear, they will have options that work for you at a variety of price points. The only concern I have with Columbia is their development of lower quality "made for outlet store" products which in my opinion detract from their reputation for quality, but their competitors like North Face are doing the same thing. I guess they'd rather introduce more customers to their brand in hopes that they'll like it enough to purchase main line quality products in the future?

Eddie Bauer is inconsistent quality, no technology to improve comfort, and ultimately is comparable to Walmart house brands.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Unless something has changed, they are also dishing out "rewards cash" like the old KMart / Sears Holdings Co. to their most loyal customers.

My mom has a charge card and is always sending me clearance items because she receives a $10 discount and usually free shipping to boot.
buckguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by buckguy »

ClownLoach wrote: October 11th, 2023, 2:22 pm
rwsandiego wrote: October 10th, 2023, 10:14 pm I was a very, very long-term customer (almost 40 years, starting when I was 16) and even worked there in the mid-1990's and early 2000's. Even back then, they made serious missteps. We started calling them "Eddie Gap." The days of superior quality are long behind them. The last time I looked at their website, I couldn't find anything I wanted to buy. To me, the quality is the same as Columbia, but the styling is crap. It's not that the style is too young for me, it's that boxy cuts, weird color combinations, and zero contemporary features don't have any style.

They were one of the few companies that sold tall sizes in outerwear that were not necessarily big, which is what snared me as a customer. Sadly, their bad choices in color, style, and prints lost me as a customer.

Columbia quality far exceeds the modern Eddie Bauer. (*except made for Outlet goods)

Columbia has been aggressively researching and designing new materials and fillers. They have superior waterproofing that is still breathable, thin and lightweight jackets that are incredibly warm when needed but won't "roast" you in moderate temperatures, and attractive design. Whatever you want (and don't want) in outerwear, they will have options that work for you at a variety of price points. The only concern I have with Columbia is their development of lower quality "made for outlet store" products which in my opinion detract from their reputation for quality, but their competitors like North Face are doing the same thing. I guess they'd rather introduce more customers to their brand in hopes that they'll like it enough to purchase main line quality products in the future?

Eddie Bauer is inconsistent quality, no technology to improve comfort, and ultimately is comparable to Walmart house brands.
Columbia probably feels compelled to compete with TheNorthFace, which also sells junk in their outlets. At this late date, i'm surprised that people shop these places when 90% of the stores are selling "made for outlet" or have pricing comparable to regular stores. Patagonia actually cutback on their outlets (which the genuine article) and Arctyrx only has a few.

Columbia seems to excel in basic travel clothing, but I wouldn't say they're an innovator. They deliver good value for price and seem to have a wide range of retailers.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

buckguy wrote: October 12th, 2023, 5:12 am

Columbia probably feels compelled to compete with TheNorthFace, which also sells junk in their outlets. At this late date, i'm surprised that people shop these places when 90% of the stores are selling "made for outlet" or have pricing comparable to regular stores. Patagonia actually cutback on their outlets (which the genuine article) and Arctyrx only has a few.

Columbia seems to excel in basic travel clothing, but I wouldn't say they're an innovator. They deliver good value for price and seem to have a wide range of retailers.
Columbia keeps their top of the line product for their own full line stores and website. They are very focused on the manufacturing of fabrics and fillers that are purpose driven, as such there might be several "high end" coats that are completely dissimilar at the same price because one is intended for ski, another for trail running, one for casual etc. and they will have very different cuts, filling, outer shell etc. to meet the specialized need of the customer. I got to see some interesting 3D printed liner textures they had in some jackets for sale that I'm guessing were samples or other development experiments, very innovative.

What you notice immediately about the outlet grade and department store grade items they sell is that they intend to be more "all in one" type items, more generic. Either you get the thin puffy coat or the heavy puffy coat for more, but they're all cut and made about the same way. The North Face seems to do the same thing, and when you encounter their actual technical gear it's almost unrecognizable.

I have had invitations before to shop their employee store in Portland which is massive, looks like at least 60,000 Sq ft. and feels like a Target with blue decor. They carry everything there including their best of the best products which are comparable to high end like Canada Goose and others. I think I bought at least $2,000 at current retails for about $250, a loaded shopping cart with multiple pairs of boots and coats and clothing, absolutely mind blowing how they hook up their employees and invited guests.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by babs »

ClownLoach wrote: October 17th, 2023, 2:38 pm
buckguy wrote: October 12th, 2023, 5:12 am

Columbia keeps their top of the line product for their own full line stores and website. They are very focused on the manufacturing of fabrics and fillers that are purpose driven, as such there might be several "high end" coats that are completely dissimilar at the same price because one is intended for ski, another for trail running, one for casual etc. and they will have very different cuts, filling, outer shell etc. to meet the specialized need of the customer. I got to see some interesting 3D printed liner textures they had in some jackets for sale that I'm guessing were samples or other development experiments, very innovative.

What you notice immediately about the outlet grade and department store grade items they sell is that they intend to be more "all in one" type items, more generic. Either you get the thin puffy coat or the heavy puffy coat for more, but they're all cut and made about the same way. The North Face seems to do the same thing, and when you encounter their actual technical gear it's almost unrecognizable.

I have had invitations before to shop their employee store in Portland which is massive, looks like at least 60,000 Sq ft. and feels like a Target with blue decor. They carry everything there including their best of the best products which are comparable to high end like Canada Goose and others. I think I bought at least $2,000 at current retails for about $250, a loaded shopping cart with multiple pairs of boots and coats and clothing, absolutely mind blowing how they hook up their employees and invited guests.
If you are connected in Portland, you can get employee store access to Nike, Adidas, Columbia as well as online stores for Keen, On, Hoka, and many others. I always figured this had to have an impact on stores like Dick's since the passes aren't hard to get.
Romr123
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Romr123 »

Very much like buying cars in Detroit---it is a way way way different process than in the rest of the country...
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

Romr123 wrote: October 17th, 2023, 9:43 pm Very much like buying cars in Detroit---it is a way way way different process than in the rest of the country...
How is that different? :idea:
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

ClownLoach wrote: October 17th, 2023, 2:38 pm I have had invitations before to shop their employee store in Portland which is massive, looks like at least 60,000 Sq ft. and feels like a Target with blue decor. They carry everything there including their best of the best products which are comparable to high end like Canada Goose and others. I think I bought at least $2,000 at current retails for about $250, a loaded shopping cart with multiple pairs of boots and coats and clothing, absolutely mind blowing how they hook up their employees and invited guests.
Wow. I gotta go next time our workplace invites come out, apparently.
Is this why everyone wants Nike employee store passes?